Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khnk222
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm

I just found out that the Sandy Hook shooter may have had Aspergers, what are your thoughts on this?

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm

I read that too. It upsets me because that just feeds the stereotype that we are all just heartless bastards that have the capacity to kill.

khnk222

15 Dec 2012, 12:18 am

Same here, I feel like we will be demonized now. I like your qoute at the bottom of your post. I'm an atheist too, I came to that conclusion back in May of this year.

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Dec 2012, 12:36 am

http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts218130-highlight.html

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2012, 8:51 am

some of the inscriptions i saw are aspergers like but i feel he had other underlying issues with it,, I have never heard of anyone on the autistic spectrum doing this kind of premeditated violence,, I hope its not true,, I am just coming out of the closet on this after 54 years of pretending to be normal and I dont need to be judged by the actions of others.. lets hope its not real.

princesslukey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

I'm totally in shock and saddened by this mass shooting in in the USA. It's hard to verbalise what I'm feeling. This mass murder of innocent people is plainly evil, especially that many of them were innocent children. This is was a completely immoral act by "Lanza", who clearly has severe issues. An issue that I bring up (sadly) is that he "has" aspergers I hope people don't link his evil actions to his Aspergers. Well one news story I have read so far said Aspergers disease. I don't know what to say apart from this is a huge tragedy, Please don't blame this cowards action on the fact he had Aspergers, he clearly had a lot of mental health problems as well.

“If I can see pain in your eyes then share with me your tears. If I can see joy in your eyes then share with me your smile.”
― Santosh Kalwar

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 2:54 pm

They always say that killers have [INSERT MENTAL DISORDER DU JOUR HERE].

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Dec 2012, 5:15 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt218223.html

Hayley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

My fear is how this word "aspergers" has this kind of association..what will a 13 year old boy think when he has been told he has Aspergers (and we've told him it means he thinks differently, not wrongly and that he's very smart) What will he think when he hears this in terms of a shooter, what will his friends at school be saying? I am scared. Again.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2012, 7:10 am

I work in education and have been milling with the idea of being open about having aspergers but ive been somewhat successful dispite it and Im concerned if they try to link this incident with autism that those of us that have struggled to cope and done it will face hostile and judgmental attitudes.

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Dec 2012, 5:40 pm

We were covered by CBS: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/16/ ... -massacre/

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 7:30 pm

Hayley wrote:
My fear is how this word "aspergers" has this kind of association..what will a 13 year old boy think when he has been told he has Aspergers (and we've told him it means he thinks differently, not wrongly and that he's very smart) What will he think when he hears this in terms of a shooter, what will his friends at school be saying? I am scared. Again.

even with the idea we should not be overly speculative, and i tend to agree with Temple Grandin on this, at a time like this
maybe all 13 year old boys and girls ought to be told that the possibility exists that isaac newton was an asperger's person
because we clearly have Temple Grandin as a shining role model already. newton i think can be borrowed from the national
http://www.jonathans-stories.com/non-fi ... osing.html portrait gallery for this. the shooting incident does not have
a complete explanation for it, and talk of the motive is speculative. your son needs to be told asperger's syndrome does not
limit human achievement if it is the only factor in one's life, and he has a good life ahead of him. he is a young man, now...

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:31 pm

I don't buy it. They always say that, and in this case it's "Aspergers or a personality disorder". Wouldn't his doctor, at least, have known?

This is scapegoating, and it's getting scary.

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 7:40 pm

isaac newton WROTE the book thomas jefferson could competantly and completely read.
yes... copies in english of the"principia" were sold in the colonies to people who could only
half read them. temple grandin has made a complete and full study of thomas jefferson
and his Leonardo da Vinici like inventiveness, but like albert einstein and daVinci i think that
jefferson was a very social being. the technical paper hans asperger wrote has "fritz" his
patient finding a flaw in isaac newton's work. isaac newton has the mathematical skills at the
expense of his social skills, almost as if the gods hand out and take away at the same time.

IChris
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2012, 8:12 pm

Based on the description of the murder in media he does seems to have been paranoid or had an extreme social axiety coupled with some loss of impulse control; he does not look autistic out to me at all in these descriptions. With this new media trend to diagnose all kind of social abnormalities as autism spectrum disorder, despite that it exist a broad range of differential diagnosis involving social abnormalities which should be evaluated, the autism spectrum disorders end up very weak and fragmented, and make up for a thick border between the classification and common sense.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:14 pm

I was eating lunch at a Chinese buffet on Satuday and overheard two women talking about the massacre and one of them said that "people with Asperger's don't have feelings". :roll:

It's going to be like the Virginia Tech shooter all over again.