compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2012, 7:46 am

Headbanger999999 wrote:
compiledkernel wrote:
namaste wrote:
Headbanger999999 wrote:

My heart goes out to you. Through a lot of struggle, I've figured out how to blend in with neurotypicals- but I haven't forgotten what it was like to be teased and harassed for your "disability." I will never forget.

the rage, hatred comes out someday or other....
for how long a person would tolerate being ostracised, isolated, condemned by society someday
they will vent their frustration definitely.
Either in form of drunk driving,
drugs, excessive drinking, or just getting voilent

Long term social ostracism will affect even NTs in adverse ways when made over long periods of time. The affects of this kind of behaviour, affects any person in a negative manner regardless of their circumstance. Ted Kaczinski, Noah Rondeau, and Robert Harrill might be examples of this condition.

While I am no psychologist, I think Kaczinsky et al probably committed the crimes they did due to a combination of mental illness and child abuse. So, perhaps ostracism did play a contributing role in making them snap, but only in the broadest possible sense of the word. With regards to Adam Lanza specifically, I think we will know more of the facts once the police investigation concludes. Until then, we can only speculate.

With regards to dealing with the frustration of being marginalized, frankly, it is up to us- not just as aspies but as human beings- to try to find a positive outlet for it.

It is thanks to the nature of the media and the nature of politics that we got sucked into this mess. But we should make this into a teachable moment. Because, quite frankly, we don't have a choice. People need to know that AS is not mental illness, and it's not an "epidemic." It's simply an alternative way of perceiving the world that brings with it unusual gifts and unusual challenges. We can either tell our stories, and shape the public discourse, or we can get trodden all over by it.

Aye, bother HB. Spoken well.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 10:24 am

Verdandi wrote:
My understanding is that more men commit suicide than women.

True, but they are also far more likely to murder. I'm not bashing men, mind you - there are a lot of reasons why that may be. In general women probably rarely get to the point of "snapping" anyway, since when a woman is depressed people will tend to come to the rescue where men would meet indifference or ridicule.

Disclaimer: I'm a woman who has been through depression. I couldn't help but notice that people seemed a lot more concerned than they did about men who were depressed.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 11:32 am

Nonperson wrote:
True, but they are also far more likely to murder. I'm not bashing men, mind you - there are a lot of reasons why that may be. In general women probably rarely get to the point of "snapping" anyway, since when a woman is depressed people will tend to come to the rescue where men would meet indifference or ridicule.

Disclaimer: I'm a woman who has been through depression. I couldn't help but notice that people seemed a lot more concerned than they did about men who were depressed.

women have far more patience and preserverance
and they put up with lot of stuff unlike men

zeroed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2012, 5:55 pm

Without an appreciation of the suffering of others, psychopaths should judge harmful actions to be more morally permissible. Recent evidence shows that psychopaths do judge harmful accidents as relatively more permissible, in part because they lack an empathic response to victims’ pain (Young et al., 2012). One question is why psychopaths do not deliver more lenient judgments of intentional harms (Cima, Tonnaer, & Hauser, 2010; Glenn, Raine, & Schug, 2009)? A likely answer is that an intact understanding of agency allows them to translate the malicious intent of the agent into judgments of wrongdoing (Dolan & Fullam, 2004). The importance of experience perception is also made salient in the abnormal moral judgments of psychopaths (Bartels & Pizarro, in press) and ventromedial prefrontal cortex patients (Koenigs et al., 2007) who fail to consider the emotional experiences of victims and thus deliver moral judgments according to cold calculations.

Turning to autism, a question raised by commentators is why those on the spectrum judge accidents more harshly? First, as suggested by Dillon and Cushman (this issue), deficits in general agency perception may be overshadowed by larger deficits in understanding specific intention and goals. Second, accidents require a particularly robust understanding of the agent's mind in order to overcome the prepotent empathic response to the victim's negative experience, which remains intact in autism (Rogers, Dziobek, Hassenstab, Wolf, & Convit, 2006).

Psychol Inq. 2012 April; 23(2): 206–215.
Published online 2012 May 31. doi: 10.1080/1047840X.2012.686247
PMCID: PMC3396360
The Moral Dyad: A Fundamental Template Unifying Moral Judgment
Kurt Gray,1,* Adam Waytz,2 and Liane Young3
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396360/

J Autism Dev Disord. 2007 Apr;37(4):709-15.
Who cares? Revisiting empathy in Asperger syndrome.
Rogers K, Dziobek I, Hassenstab J, Wolf OT, Convit A.
http://www.cog.psy.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/p ... Disord.pdf

Last edited by zeroed on 20 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

Nonperson wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

No argument. Men are responsible for far more violent crime than women, and are far more likely to both perpetrate violence and be a target for that violence. I think women exceed men in terms of likelihood to be targeted for domestic violence, however. Other forms of violence disproportionately affect women, such as rape.

I see the dichotomy that Namaste was describing, and I do not disagree, just wanted to point out that men tend to be more likely to commit suicide. There's a persistent belief/myth that women are more likely to commit suicide, but statistics don't bear this out.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 6:14 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Nonperson wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

No argument. Men are responsible for far more violent crime than women, and are far more likely to both perpetrate violence and be a target for that violence. I think women exceed men in terms of likelihood to be targeted for domestic violence, however. Other forms of violence disproportionately affect women, such as rape.

I see the dichotomy that Namaste was describing, and I do not disagree, just wanted to point out that men tend to be more likely to commit suicide. There's a persistent belief/myth that women are more likely to commit suicide, but statistics don't bear this out.

Last time I checked the statistics, men were more likely to commit suicide. Women were more likely to attempt suicide.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 8:24 am

People don't on a killing spree because they're Autistic. People go on a killing spree because they've been desensitized to the suffering of others following years of neglect or abuse.

People who go on a killing spree are typically loners who have been bullied for many years and snap at a certain point in time because they're fed up with the abuse. They've become consumed by rage and hate because they've only seen the nasty side of humanity for most of their lives.

Attributing the behavior of Adam Lanza to his Autism is like attributing a woman killing the man who raped her to her being female. Men like Lanza did not choose to be a loner. Men like Lanza did not choose to be consumed by rage. They've victims of a society that shows little tolerance for those who are "different".