Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 11:24 am

Can someone please point me to a reliable source that CONFIRMS that he had AS? I've not seen a single one thus far.

If we're going to point fingers at the media for irresponsible reporting, shouldn't we be as responsible as we expect them to be?

I'm really getting tired of seeing flat statements made that he had AS, when it may not be true at all.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2012, 11:28 am

Let's not forget that even if the mass-murder did have Asperger's, that it's still a basic corellation/causation fallacy (cum hoc ergo propter hoc).

We can't say anything meaningful about a person or population with a shared condition, based on a single aspect that itself isn't really associated with such horrible acts of violence. He may also have had degrees of narcissism, sociopathic traits, and so forth. Asperger's by itself certainly does not cause such violence. Even if is a factor, it's still part of a larger social and family context. Clearly the guy was emotionally destitute, and did not receive the attention he needed to address whatever difficulties he'd been having. How Asperger's may fit into that, is a better and more fair question - it's fallacious to attribute the violence solely to it, especially when there's really no reason to, other than the glib "loner" stereotype...

The trouble we're going to have will come from the media not relaying the proper contexts of ASD. Without context the public is going to infer that Aspergers = sociopathic violence, if left unaddressed. The truth of the matter is that it's far more subtle. All we can do is advocate for more context. The notion of "Asperger's" washing around in the public, associated with this mass killing, is very disheartening. The media are being socially irresponsible. But that's how they always are.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 12:05 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Can someone please point me to a reliable source that CONFIRMS that he had AS? I've not seen a single one thus far.

If we're going to point fingers at the media for irresponsible reporting, shouldn't we be as responsible as we expect them to be?

I'm really getting tired of seeing flat statements made that he had AS, when it may not be true at all.

This video does mention a family friend mentioning that he was home schooled due to aspergers

60 Minutes: Newtown
check out previous threads for the video

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

namaste wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

This video does mention a family friend mentioning that he was home schooled due to aspergers

Doesn't pass the test. Sorry.

What family friends say his mother said, is not confirmation. It's hearsay, and doesn't mean he was actually diagnosed with anything.

Not a confirmed report.

While she probably did tell them that, she may only have believed he had it.

I want confirmation of an actual diagnosis.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

The only item ive seen to suggest his mental diagnosis (which isnt one itself) is this AP source article.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/ap/national/ ... 9cad4.html

The source suggests he may have had a personality disorder.

Regardless, all the media posturing over this event is going to make it hard on the rest of us. Ive had 4 people already since the shooting, who readily knows Im AS has asked me if I had a gun would I kill people? 1 such person has indicated they desire not to speak with or associate with me because of this fear.

I do not wish to harm others, as of yet, I remain to be helpful to others, yet non-sensical people make such broad brushing statements, and then apply them to me as a person.

Its abhorrent.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 1:40 pm

compiledkernel wrote:
The only item ive seen to suggest his mental diagnosis (which isnt one itself) is this AP source article.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/ap/national/ ... 9cad4.html

The source suggests he may have had a personality disorder.

Regardless, all the media posturing over this event is going to make it hard on the rest of us. Ive had 4 people already since the shooting, who readily knows Im AS has asked me if I had a gun would I kill people? 1 such person has indicated they desire not to speak with or associate with me because of this fear.

I do not wish to harm others, as of yet, I remain to be helpful to others, yet non-sensical people make such broad brushing statements, and then apply them to me as a person.

Its abhorrent.

That's almost to a tee what I found Friday on AP's site.

Quote:
Adam Lanza's older brother, 24-year-old Ryan Lanza of Hoboken, N.J., was being questioned, a law enforcement official said. He told authorities that his brother was believed to suffer from a personality disorder and be "somewhat autistic" and lived with his mother in Connecticut, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record about the unfolding investigation.

The only difference between this and what I found Friday was that quote actually said "Asperger Syndrome," not "somewhat autistic."

The "source" still appears to be an unnamed official not authorized to discuss the case, who may or may not have been present during the interview with Ryan, and what he says Ryan said, is ambiguous at best.

Third party ambiguously worded information. In other words, unsubstantiated.

I would ask why people are posting it here as fact. We do not know that it is fact. All this is doing is feeding the rumor mill, and doesn't help the problem.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 1:44 pm

It sure is easy to get diagnosed with AS if you are a mass murderer. It sure is hard if you are a regular autistic person who can talk.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
It sure is easy to get diagnosed with AS if you are a mass murderer. It sure is hard if you are a regular autistic person who can talk.

It's impossible if you're dead.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

There is a distinct difference between being AS and being a Sociopath (or a psychopath). The indignant way that some people are associating AS and Autism with the possibility of being able to achieve such an heinous act is asinine. And uneducated.

Its more likely that the perpetrator in this case was probably a McDonald triad sufferer (at least in part). Following the path of the McDonald Triad -- being a Firebug, Animal Killer/Torturer, and Bet Wetter -- when they occur together, and with a high frequency in adolencency, are typical signs of a Sociopath.

Socoipathic behaviour does not equate to Autisitc behaviour, nor are they in anyway related to each other. And to suggest this to be the case is wrong on so many levels. A sociopath shows no remorse for their actions, nor believes their actions can be held accountable to themselves. Of which I firmly believe this Adam Lanza to have been a Sociopath.

Ive had it up to my head with hearing people tell me that a Lack of Empathy because of how Im wired means that I have the ability to harm others. Its getting really really REALLY old and at a tremendously high rate of speed.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2012, 3:13 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
I think that there is a significant portion of the US that can recognize irresponsible journalism like that when they see it.

This is all the more reason for an AS guy like me to hold my head up high and live my life the best I can. I'm not going to let some fringe journalist (who is looking for any sleazy angle imaginable to sell a headline) define who the f**k I am over my diagnosis.
That's how I see it as well.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 3:27 pm

A friend of min e-mailed me this:

I am listening to a discussion of Asperger's on the radio now. A father of an aspie highschooler quoted his son:

"If you have met a person with Asperger's then you have met one person with Asperger's."

In other words, don't generalize. Aspies are not all alike.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

Loborojo wrote:
A friend of min e-mailed me this:

I am listening to a discussion of Asperger's on the radio now. A father of an aspie highschooler quoted his son:

"If you have met a person with Asperger's then you have met one person with Asperger's."

In other words, don't generalize. Aspies are not all alike.

I +1 this opinion.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 7:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pmO9-Pw38[/youtube]

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2012, 7:56 pm

MrXxx wrote:
namaste wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

What family friends say his mother said, is not confirmation. It's hearsay, and doesn't mean he was actually diagnosed with anything.

Not a confirmed report.

there had been an interview with four of his mother's friends, and they basically were saying
to the interviewer what they had heard her say and what had transpired in her life that they
were aware of. further along in the coverage there was a watering hole she liked to frequent,
and one of the bartenders was talked to. if she was under the impression her son's behavior is
due to A.S. and that the diagnosis she was familiar with was accurate, then any doubts about it
would have been happening only recently and she did not really comprehend what could happen.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 5:16 am

MrXxx wrote:

Not a confirmed report.

Did you ask for confirmation when it was said that Einstein, Bill Gates are diagnosed with aspergers???

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 6:39 am

namaste wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Not a confirmed report.

Did you ask for confirmation when it was said that Einstein, Bill Gates are diagnosed with aspergers???

I sure did.