Aspergers tests - how reliable are they?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IChris
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2012, 5:22 am

allinthehead wrote:
Hi

I'm 60 years old and have always suspected that I have a mild autism problem. I first became aware of it when I was about 10. I have never done anything about it, but it has always been something I have been aware of, and it has caused me some considerable difficulties at specific times. I'm basically happy with 'me', but recently went to my doctor to see if I could get a formal diagnosis, and perhaps some possible assistance in coping with the problem. No joy there of course, as NHS resources are pretty scarce - even kids don't get much resources where I live (according to the doctor I saw). I have done the self-assessment test at the RDOS site and my score came out at 168/200 for Aspie and 39/200 for neurotypical (I love that word! :D) But how accurate do you think these tests are? Would I get a different result if I had a formal testing under the health service professionals?

I can't post my test graph because I have just joined this site, and it wont let me post a link

The differential diagnostic procedure health service professionals do is an important stage and may be able to tell an ASD diagnosis from a diagnosis who shows similar symptoms and may peak out in the same way on tests. Also the observational stage prove important, and last the ability to discuss with the pasient why he/she answer each of the question in a test may help them understand if it is a logical reason or a sign of disorders which make you answer as you do. In example may I take a test which screen out psychosis and most probably I will get a very high score on it since I believe in telepathy and many other psychical possibilities. But since this belief is a philosophical and scientific reasoned belief, they would not count as symptoms of psychosis despite that the test who does not contain any background information score it as one. Such background checks may make change a high test score to a low score in minutes.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 8:49 am

SInce l have been reassessing myself, discovered more symptons than sya 3 years ago, her on WP. I communicated them to y mentor and teh one who worked with kids with special needs. And she is scared I wold relapse and wallow in the asperger condition. Walloing, she feels it is, because I was on the good path and striding, not to give up and had been reborn a new person. She says she begs me not to give up my new Lobo rojo I developed the last years...But I feel she cannot judge how I feel and how it affects me and how I fight against it everyday...What do you think?