Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2012, 6:45 pm

I have severe OCD that stops me from being able to work or anything at the moment. I've had it all my life. One of the most debilitating things is constant intrusive thoughts that I have to neutralise.
I can't read for months at a time it is so bad

Just wondered if anyone else lives with severe OCD and has any advice?

Obviously I've tried lots of different medications in the past. Haven't been on any for a long time.

Last one I tried was sertraline.This helped a bit but it gives you terrible side effects like chronique gut upsets, which I really could do without to be honest. I also had serious problems getting to the GP to collect my prescription, so I just gave up

But anyway. Don't know if anyone else has any advice for intrusive thoughts particularly?

Thanks,
Cf

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

Have you ever visited the site below? They have treatment options, an online test, etc. Seems like Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy works.

OCD Link.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2012, 7:13 pm

I've never been able to commit to attending CBT sessions as yet

But thank you anyway for the link :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Dec 2012, 12:11 am

I had bad OCD & intrusive thoughts alot. Trying to analyze what the thoughts were related to & addressing issues they were related to & making peace with it has sometimes helped. Developing other obsessions/special interest & staying focused on that has also sometimes helped me. I've treid various psych meds before & the only meds that really helped without making me feel asleep mentally are Buspar & Neurontin/Gabapentin. Buspar is specially for generalized anxiety but it helps me have less anxiety about intrusive thoughts; I'm taking 15mg 2wice a day. Neurontin is a seizure med but it's sometimes used for treatment resistant OCD; it helps my OCD out a lot & I'm taking 400mg 3x a day.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ferkin
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2012, 1:42 pm

Cuckooflower wrote:
I have severe OCD that stops me from being able to work or anything at the moment. I've had it all my life. One of the most debilitating things is constant intrusive thoughts that I have to neutralise.
I can't read for months at a time it is so bad

Just wondered if anyone else lives with severe OCD and has any advice?

Obviously I've tried lots of different medications in the past. Haven't been on any for a long time.

Last one I tried was sertraline.This helped a bit but it gives you terrible side effects like chronique gut upsets, which I really could do without to be honest. I also had serious problems getting to the GP to collect my prescription, so I just gave up

But anyway. Don't know if anyone else has any advice for intrusive thoughts particularly?

Thanks,
Cf

Hi CF, sorry your ocd is bad at the moment, I suffer from severe bouts of it too and hell doesn't even describe it, it's torture. What originally worked for me was 100 mg sertraline but I got ill again after a few years on it, went onto fluoxetine (60mg) which didn't work at first but then I started taking 1g epa fish oils (vegepa) a day and a complex b vitamin and slowly but surely I got a lot better.

There are some good books out there for ocd but if you're very depressed like I was, you won't be able to apply the techniques. I prefer ACT to cbt because my obsessions are very specific these days as opposed to a general phobia, say of knives. 2 good books I have are 'Get out of your mind and into your life' and 'The Happiness Trap'. I really hope you start to feel better soon.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2012, 2:25 pm

Thank you so much!

Both those posts are genuinely enlightening and helpful!

Thank you

:D

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2012, 3:43 am

Paxil worked for me, however I ended up taking myself off it because in combination with my other meds it was making me too tired. I might add, I wasn't even taking it for ocd, but rather depression and anxiety. I didn't have much in the way of side effects aside from the few weeks prior to starting it; they went away so it was no big deal. Honestly wish I was still on it.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2012, 7:39 pm

devark wrote:
Paxil worked for me, however I ended up taking myself off it because in combination with my other meds it was making me too tired. I might add, I wasn't even taking it for ocd, but rather depression and anxiety. I didn't have much in the way of side effects aside from the few weeks prior to starting it; they went away so it was no big deal. Honestly wish I was still on it.

You felt it reduced your intrusive thoughts??

Thanks

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 8:17 am

I've been struggling with intrusive thoughts for 8 years. I am taking Sertraline (Zoloft) and Paliperidone (Invega) and they seem to be helping a lot. I still have intrusive thoughts sometimes, but mostly I am not tormented by them like I used to be.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

bornrebel9
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

What's helped with my intrusive thoughts has been Risperdal and Buspar. Because of these medications I haven't had intrusive thoughts in quite awhile.

Goshey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2013, 7:00 pm

I went through a faze at around age 15 where I would have deja vu with certain bits of films I had seen. overall the thoughts were peaceful and not scary at all but for some reason it would stop me right there on the spot and I would feel sick to my stomach. I tried respiredol and am no longer suffering from these things and no longer have to take respiredol for it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 8:30 pm

Goshey wrote:
I went through a faze at around age 15 where I would have deja vu with certain bits of films I had seen. overall the thoughts were peaceful and not scary at all but for some reason it would stop me right there on the spot and I would feel sick to my stomach. I tried respiredol and am no longer suffering from these things and no longer have to take respiredol for it.

Congrats on getting off Respiredol. I was put on it 10 years ago for psychtic depression & I couldn't tolerate being on it for more than a week or so because it made me very sick to my stomach & sleepy.

sweez
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2014, 9:06 am

I hate intrusive thoughts. I have had intrusive thoughts for almost 20 years. I have been on Zoloft for the last 11 years. It seemed to work well, but the sexual side effects are terrible! My doctor just recently suggested I try Viidryl(sp?) because it doesn't have those side effects. It seems that it is mostly for depression (which I don't have). I feel the intrusive thoughts coming back and just feel like it is not worth going into a downward spiral for that (although I do think not having the sexual side effects is important to my marriage). Why do those who suffer from this have to choose between mental stability or having no feelings!???

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2014, 6:41 pm

I've heard Luvox is good for OCD. I've never really met anyone with OCD, and I don't have it either, so I don't know firsthand, but I've been told Luvox is very good.

ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)

DevKit
Raven
Raven

01 May 2014, 10:20 pm

Yes I have this. Honestly, magic mushrooms seem to have helped me more than anything. One dose made me feel better for weeks. But nooooo, we cant talk about that now can we?

And for those of you who think im just a crazy hippie drug guy, you might want to read this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16304852/ns/h ... -symptoms/

As far as the Omega fatty acids that were mentioned before(fish oil) i really recomend checking out hemp seed oil. It contains Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids and doesnt run the chance of any condensed mercury. Its good for your joints as well and the added Omega-9 that fish oil lacks reduces inflammation throughout the body. I use it on stuff a lot for both my joints(noticeable improvement) and for nerve health.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 1:15 pm

Minionkitty wrote:
I've heard Luvox is good for OCD. I've never really met anyone with OCD, and I don't have it either, so I don't know firsthand, but I've been told Luvox is very good.
Luvox(Fluvoxamine) is an SSRI that's mainly used for OCD but it's also sometimes for depression & other anxiety stuff. Some think it's most specif med for OCD beisdeds the gold-standard Anafranil(Clomipramine) which is a tricyclic antidepressant that's only approved for OCD here in the US but has different off-label uses here & is approved for some of em in other countries. I tried it & it made me shaky & feel out of it mentally but those effects disappeared after being off it for a couple days & my OCD was gone for rest of the week.