Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

StarTrekStarWars
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2012, 7:34 pm

This would be an immediate red flag for any potential employer. A friend of mind told me to be honest and let them know about my personal situation if they asked about the gaps in work history. (Nervous breakdown, depression, Anxiety etc) but I think being honest in this situation would be even worse.

If I don't tell them then they'll just think I'm lazy because I haven't worked in so long

If I tell them the truth then I'm looked at as emotionally unstable and not a valuable candidate.

Thus is life. : /

(I'm posting here for magical quick answer solutions btw, but maybe I'm expecting far to much from you guys though)

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 7:45 pm

What kind of work are you seeking?

fluffypinkyellow
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2012, 7:53 pm

Since there's no getting around it, I think being honest is the best-just tell them you needed time to work on some health issues, and tell them you were having anxiety. If I were the potential employer, I'd appreciate you being honest and direct and not trying to evade the matter.

Also, emphasise any community or volunteer work you did during those 6 years, or any education/training. Don't frame it as 6 years of emptiness, talk about the things that you did do and the skills you did gain and develop, even if it was outside a traditional working environment.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 7:54 pm

I'm in exactly the same situation - it'll be 5 years for me in February.

Due to autism I suffer from anxiety, can't use a phone to apply for jobs, struggle with interviews, and have no idea what jobs to apply for...about the only jobs I could apply for are retail; most are part-time which wouldn't be enough for me to live on, retail is hardly ideal for someone on the spectrum with social anxiety, and I have no retail experience. Unemployment has been contributed to by the fact that the job centre have prevented me working voluntary jobs or attending college, I was (wrongfully) terminated from my last job, and of course the fact there is little work locally. I know I'd be far better in terms of my autism if I was working and I'd work harder than anyone else, but that's worth nothing is no one is willing to give you a chance.

If I was to find a job I could do the best I can hope for is positive discrimination - here in UK there is a guaranteed interview scheme for those with disabilities, it seems largely just employers playing lip service but it at least gets you in the door. The best advice I could offer is to try the same, if there is no such scheme where you live then just go with letting them know why you've been out of work...I mean, long-term unemployed like us are screwed either way, nothing to lose.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Ojib
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2012, 8:21 pm

I have been unemployed for the last 3, maybe closer to four years. I have an occupational therapist who has recently helped me find volunteer work at Habitat for Humanity working in a prefab shop. I am hoping that potential employers will see that I am able to work, and want to work. I have been keeping myself very isolated and have no friends anymore so this is also an opportunity for me to get some references.
I haven't got a job yet but I feel positive about the new year.

Good luck, and happy holidays.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

I started volunteering after a time of unemployment in order to regain my self confidence. This is a good filler of time not employed.

Did you do anything in the years of unemployment such as:
babysitting
housesitting
pet care for others
church leadership or volunteering for anything at church group
sell things on ebay or etsy
make things/sell them/ any type of at home business
education or learning or teaching yourself skills, computer skills, photography, etc

When I was advised to make a new resume based on my strengths and skills and interests, it worked out much better and made less of a big deal about the periods of no official employment. I hope that helps!

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

i had a twelve year hiatus. i always said i had a condition that was in remission and expected to stay in remission. i have heard of others saying they were taking care of a sick family member. you don't have to say that the family member was you. i strongly recommend against disclosing mental health problems. as one vocational counselor told me, "most employers would rather hire a convicted felon than a person with mental illness."

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 9:20 pm

It would be 9 years since leaving school, I haven't had a job yet gained a degree. It's been so that I don't even understand the concept of work, let alone feel the desire to want to work. It's like my world is far too radically different to the rest of the world.

Anxiety, paranoia, slured speech, posture, not having that look of enthusism, injuries from falls, OCD, unable to read body language and countless of many other things at interviews, telephones, and such with higher functioning Aspergers.... It's quite crazy that I'm happy (I think) with all of this... 8O

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 3:29 am

I think it's been 13 years for me since I last worked. If I wanted to look for a job I wouldn't even know where to apply, not that anyone would hire me.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:25 am

21 years and have not had my first job yet.