Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 4:09 pm

What did he mean Ted by saying that tv talk show host tought that he is an Alf and making antisemitic remarks? I don't get it
Does Alf was Jew, i watched Alf as kid and liked very much but i'm not American and does not understand this particular cultural code.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 6:31 pm

I saw the movie so I'll ATTEMPT to explain that Alf scene like this:

In the movie Good Morning, Vietnam, Robin Williams plays Adrian Cronauer, an airman/DJ who jokes about everything. His superior, Sgt. Major Dickerson angrily confronts him one day. Dickerson, pointing to his rank insignia, asks, "What does three up and three down mean to you, airman?" Cronauer responds, "The end of an inning?"

It's funny because of the absurdity of the conversation. Of course Cronauer knows what three up/three down means, but he's making light of the situation because war, to him, is a preposterous joke. In the Alf scene, it's not meant to be taken seriously that Alf was Jewish. He can't be. He's from outerspace, and that's where the absurdity comes in. It's understood that the movie audience would understand that and see how preposterous the situation is.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 7:09 pm

You really shouldn't take anything Seth Macfarlane says seriously because it's just a joke. Ted was a hilaurious movie and I love Family Guy. Can't wait for Ted 2 and Family Guy the Movie.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 2:22 am

tb86 wrote:
You really shouldn't take anything Seth Macfarlane says seriously because it's just a joke. Ted was a hilaurious movie and I love Family Guy. Can't wait for Ted 2 and Family Guy the Movie.

I also love this movie as for Family Guy i watched it long time ago but i loved it to especially FCC song because we in Poland have similar agency called (KRRIT) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krajowa_Ra ... _Telewizji keeping movies and tv series with naughty language away from children with is funny because we here in Poland doesn't have censorship at lest officially since fall of communism. In Poland we have K word with is Polish equivalent of F-Word, is a broadcaster use it in hours between 8 AM and 10 PM, can have serious problem, some comedian used F Word instead of
K-Word :D but recently our "Moral Guardian" become more aware.