Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

Anyone else tinkering with this wonderful computer for Christmas? I'm looking forward to using Minecraft's port to R-PI myself :)

What is Raspberry Pi?

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 2:18 pm

I would like to get one of these.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2012, 2:21 pm

I highly recommend it, You get quite a lot for only 25-35 dollars & it goes towards charity.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

I'd also like to get one. By the time I can afford one, they will probably have much better versions out there :)

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2012, 3:53 pm

I got one earlier in the year but have never had time to do anything with it. It's sort of not as great as it sounds at first. For $35, you have a device that has to be tethered to a wired network, and has to have a power adapter. (I have yet to find a USB cable in all my mountains of cables that will power it.) The cost starts adding up quickly when you add stuff that's not included, like an SD card. You don't have to have an HDMI cable, since it can pull a DHCP address from your network and you can ssh to it, but if you want to project to a TV screen you'll need one. To made something usable out of the RP, you almost have to add so much to it that you're getting into cheap tablet price range. Any application I can think of would require a battery and wireless network card. If you have a lot of spare parts lying around, I think it would be great as a hobby/tinkering platform. My first project was going to be making it boot up and play a radio stream, as an "instant on" radio device. (But it wouldn't be very portable if it had to be plugged into my network and power strip.)

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

Tsproggy wrote:
I highly recommend it, You get quite a lot for only 25-35 dollars & it goes towards charity.

"quite a lot" is an understatement. At my previous job we were buying boards with about the same power and features, but x86-based, somewhat larger, and with no 3D acceleration for about four times that price -- and those boards were low priced than most.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 4:05 pm

i was given 5 of them and I was going to use them for a kids club, but i havent got around to using them yet - new years resolution to have a look and see what i can use them for, if we could get the kids tinkering/making or doing stuff just dont know what yet