Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Scia
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2013, 8:26 pm

My accent mostly resembles that of my region. However, I have occasionally found myself picking up on bits of other accents, or reading English words as if the phonetics are Romanized Japanese. I don't really seem to have anything recently, but I think there are some words and what have you that I pronounce as if with a different accent.

Ironically, I find it difficult to simply imitate most accents intentionally. Unless maybe I'm reciting lines from a game or movie where a character has an accent; then it seems like I use a bit of accent out of imitating the character. I might also be able to do it if I'm coping someone else's example of an accent. Some are easier than others.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2013, 10:24 pm

I'm from the Canadian prairies where most people sound like they're from Minnesota (think of the movie "Fargo"), but I've been told repeatedly by strangers that I either sound like I have a proper British accent (I hear this from fellow Canadians) or, when I lived in Seattle for a little while, everyone thought I was Irish for some reason. I've never tried to speak differently, but I guess I sound foreign, even if I've never been to England or Ireland.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 12:50 pm

girly_aspie wrote:
I'm from the Canadian prairies where most people sound like they're from Minnesota (think of the movie "Fargo"), but I've been told repeatedly by strangers that I either sound like I have a proper British accent (I hear this from fellow Canadians) or, when I lived in Seattle for a little while, everyone thought I was Irish for some reason. I've never tried to speak differently, but I guess I sound foreign, even if I've never been to England or Ireland.

I've occasionally been told that I have a proper British accent too, by fellow Canadians.I'm from Toronto, Ontario. I don't think I do though, I just have an odd lilt to my voice. My voice isn't monotone at all and has inflection based on my emotions and emphasis and all of that.