Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

I once had somebody tell me that I had a Maori accent.

Everybdody else just seems to think I talk oddly, but one person says I sound just like Maori folk.

Don't know what to think about that.

Utnapishtim
Raven
Raven

04 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

invisiblesilent wrote:
I am from Liverpool, UK but don't have much of an accent. Some people are able to recognise that that is where I am from but others - including other people from Liverpool - insist I sound like I am from elsewhere. I have been told I sound like I am from Scotland, Ireland, the USA, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, "the Southern Hemisphere" (because that is totally specific O_o). Personally I think I just have a relatively neutral "English" accent with a degree of Liverpool (aka Scouse) thrown in. Another way of looking at it might be to say that I am a well-spoken Scouser. Because of that I can understand if people think I am from Ireland - the Scouse accent was heavily influenced by Irish immigrants - but I have no idea where people get the rest of their, frankly bizarre, ideas about my accent from.

Am from Liverpool too! :D When I was younger I had speech therapy from a woman with a posh midlands accent. I had people ask why I talk like am from out of town. My accent is a posh mix of Scouse, West Midlands accents and RP.

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

I have a different accent for different situations and settings. I practice them when I'm alone, but when I'm at work I can't control when they will come out.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 3:05 pm

I am from London and many people have said to me that i have an Australian accent.

Sauceball
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 12:20 am

I'm from London, but I've been told that I sound like I'm from Yorkshire at times.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 12:34 am

yeah, I am from oregon but I have a ''southern'' accent. for non-americans, people in oregon usually speak with more of a general or neutral american accent.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:03 am

Another example of this here - I'm autistic from Newcastle, but I don't have the accent.

One could argue that this is due to speech therapy as a kid, however I wasn't taught Queens English and after 20 years, living with a very broad Geordie mother (also Geordie family, friends, lived in Newcastle my whole life), you'd have expected me to have picked-up more of an accent, I also can't use the dialect AT ALL.

I think Southerners can tell that I'm Northern, but not that I'm a Geordie.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 6:45 am

i have a Canadian prairie accent. not too different from west coast. i sound very similar to most other city people, except that i picked up a tendency to pronunce "the" like "deh". i think this is is a relic from 4 years i spent living on northern first nations reserves (indian reservations). but the first nations population actually has a big impact on the prairie accent anyway, so it wasn't noticeable to me until i moved away from the area and heard myself on a recording.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2013, 11:43 pm

I'm from MD I am often asked if I'm from England or -a few times- Germany, or just where I'm from. I just say I have a speech impediment, which is sort of true since I did have some speech therapy in elementary school -couldn't make an r sound. I was also asked if I didn't have a palate, I'm told that mine IS high so that may be a a reason.
I was also told I spoke like a new yorker [the city] once, but I think that was just my aunt being weird.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 11:51 am

I don't have an unusual or ''wandering'' accent. But I don't speak like other girls of my age do. I don't keep saying ''like'' after every other words, in that annoying way what I can't describe in words but know it when I hear it. I speak more like a 50-year-old cockney man from the pub. At least it socially attracts older people.

Zaechariah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

I'm from the United States, born and raised, but I've always been asked about my accent. I've been told that I sound like I'm from Western Europe, or France. The way I speak and annunciate words is unlike anyone I've heard before. It's weird.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

I get asked off and on where I am from. People mostly think I am from the east and some think I am from Australia or England. I was in 4th grade when one of my friends told me I sound like I am from New York after she went there for Spring Break with her family.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Abominable_Princess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2013, 1:13 pm

I'm from coastal California, and the only regional accents I notice myself are from Texas, the Deep South, and the Northeast. I have had a couple people in Montana tell me I have a noticable West Coast accent, but I haven't noticed such myself.

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

I mimic other people's accents without even realising it...sometimes I worry that I might be offending them but I can't help it. I think I've read before that it's related to echolalia, but I might be mistaken.

I speak a little oddly anyway, but people never believe me when I say I'm from Birmingham, because I don't sound like a brummie unless I'm talking to my family, at which point my friends laugh at me because they think the accent is funny. One of my tutors is American and I used to come back from meetings with her sounding American myself, and once I startled my Japanese teacher during speaking practice because I'd sounding like a native speaker.

I enjoy talking to myself in accents, especially alone and when driving, but I find it a lot harder to do deliberately. Also, I've had a few Europeans tell me that English and Australian accents are hard for them to differentiate between!

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

I maybe from Scotland, but I possess a predominantly "autistic" accent - not a regional one. Some individuals have taken notice of my unusually robotic tone, and it hardly fluctuates when I express myself in various settings and situations. The vocal aspects that describe me superlatively are pedantic, excessively formal, soft spoken, articulate and monotonous, which is why I render it exemplary to the stereotypical perspectives of autistic expression.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

apequake
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

I'm just very monotone. People call me and think they are reaching a voicemail. I WAS trying to change my tone. Is monotone an un-accent?