Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2013, 12:34 pm

You're 18, you can do it! Do it now while you still have the energy and the time!

I'm pushing 40 and I'm over 300. Back when I was a tad younger than yourself, I weighted about 20-30 lbs more than you and I lost it during the course of a summer.

I need to get down to about 190 or so. Just wish the gym didn't hurt so much. ...and that they had wifi.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 4:52 am

This is the most cliche weight loss advice ever, but

drink

lots of

water.

It's been the only thing that's kept me on a downward weight trend during times of my life,
when my motivation to stick to a diet and exercise plan failed.

There's a reason water combined with fasting is so effective-
keeping all your food on a steady outward journey will make you feel better and lighter, and in my experience definitely result in a change in appearance.

to his Interest."

matt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 5:36 am

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

If you fill out the form on this site, it can tell you about how many calories you would need to ingest per day to gain, maintain, or lose weight. It can also recommend how to eat a different amount every day, something called "zigzagging", so that your body doesn't adapt and slow down your metabolism. It makes it easier to lose weight. A few years ago I lost almost a third of my body weight by using that site, and have kept most of it off.

I absolutely do not recommend losing weight quickly. Losing about a pound per week is the healthiest way to do it, and it's not difficult. If you lose a pound per week you could lose 52 pounds per year.

Losing lots of weight quickly is unhealthy, and it typically involves doing things which you really don't want to do and aren't going to continue doing, like exercising much more than you normally would, or avoiding eating. You can lose about a pound per week by making small modifications to what you already do, and once you lose the weight you have a better chance of staying thinner than if you lost it quickly.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
One simple rule - eat just plants and animals.

This keeps sugar and carbs down.....................weight WILL fall off with a paleo diet.

I think this is the only response I can agree with.. but I skimmed through most.
Try eating lots of both!

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm

Paleo is a good lifestyle diet that is good for detox and easy to maintain long term. Go easy on the nuts and seeds at first. Maybe invest in a low RPM juicer so you can get concentrated greens in an easy to digest form. Eating lots of whole veggies can overload you with fiber and cause gas and bloating among other things.

Try to find a physical activity you enjoy. Something that will get your heartrate up and get you moving. Take a walk everyday and go at least a mile, make it your quiet thinking time like "walking meditation." Focus on the GOOD things you've done to take care of yourself, don't beat yourself up when you eat something you shouldn't or forget to exercise. Keep thinking about what you are going to do next and try to make it fun. It may not be fun at first but if you keep a positive attitude you will start to crave the good feelings you get after exercise.

Juice "feasting" is an alternative to fasting where you just drink fresh veggie juice whenever you are hungry. Your body still gets all the nutrients it needs not to feel hungry and you will burn fat and detox at the same time. I wouldn't recommend fasting for losing weight as your body will just rebound and try to store everything you eat once you break the fast. Fasting is good for detox once you are at a healthy weight but shouldn't be used for losing weight as an end goal, or it will only disappoint.

Stop drinking soda. Drink water and nothing else. Not even fruit juice. Reduce sugar and carb intake and focus on getting enough FATS in your diet and your body will learn how to burn fat like rocket fuel.

Find a support system. Friends, family, whoever. Ask them for emotional support. Encouragement is a great motivator when you are not feeling motivated on your own. Maybe join a recreational league of some sort so you have teammates and exercise partners all in one.

Good Luck! You can do it!