29 Dec 2006, 11:06 pm

woohoo! he's dead! now, if you don't mind...*hides in bomb shelter*

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2006, 11:33 pm

Ding Dong the Witch is dead ! ! Which old witch? The wicked witch!! Ding dong the wicked witch is dead!~! !!

Saddam is dead, an era is over, a new page turns, the Kurds and the Shia' are partyin' down ! !!

He's gone down below, where the demons go, yo ho ...

Ring the bell, ding dong the wicked witch is dead ...

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2006, 12:22 am

I was against the war from the very beginning, but I can't say I'm said to see the monster die.

manalitwist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 7:08 pm

I think some of you have been quite literally brainwashed into hating this man.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 7:47 pm

Why do you think that?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

manalitwist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 7:59 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Why do you think that?

That will take a while to answer, if you dont mind ill sleep on it and should have an answer tomorrow. :)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 8:10 pm

Excellent. I look forward to reading it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 8:27 pm

I think it is a good thing that Saddam Hussein was executed. His trial was fair. It has been stated that his trial was unfair. I ask in what way? The Nuremberg Trials would not stand up to US Court scrutiny. Yes, he was executed for something he authorized years earlier. So what? He was tried for murdering more then one-hundred and seventy people. He actually murdered a million people.

The Iraqis did a remarkable job under the pressure of threats, murders of judges and lawyers to conduct a fair trial with appeals and then execute the sentence. I give them my praise.

It's sad that a few commentators have decided to reduce this important occassion to engage in political diatribe. I do not believe it should go unanswered.

prism97 wrote:
Hi! I also think Saddam is a major league fink. With all due respect to your country's soldiers, I don't think Bush & Rumsfeld sent the troops in there to promote freedom democracy & all that Americana.

It was never stated as the only primary goal to go to Iraq to "promote freedom(,) democracy & all that Americana." In the end, the reason for the invasion of Iraq in the eyes of the Bush administration, like the earlier invasion of Afghanistan, was the national security interests of the United States. If promoting democracy, and western values promotes national security then so be it.

prism97 wrote:
Frankly, the Iraqis are an ancient civilization. Much older than most. and if they wanted a democracy, they'd have one!

The statement is based on a incorrect concept. The Iraqis are not an ancient civilization. Mesopotamia was. However, due to invasions, and migrations the people that lived in that region, and virtually every other region of the world has changed since that time. A couple fairly recent key ones here are the Turkish invasions from the East and the great Islamic invasions from the Arab peninsula after Arabia converted to Islam.

Iraq itself was was carved out of three Ottoman provinces, which explains the mishmash of Sunnis, Shi'a and Kurds. Except for the Kurds, the Iraqis are Arabs, which the Mesopotamians were definitely not.

prism97 wrote:
This is about the elder Bush waltzing into Iraq after a lot of bragging & swaggering & then getting his ass handed to him.

Are you referring to the Persian Gulf War in which Saddam Hussein attempted to annex Kuwait? Perhaps you are unaware of these events? After occupying the country, Hussein allowed/ordered his troops to commit various war crimes. The international community, partially due the oil in Kuwait and partially due to the fact that Hussein was clearly not as predictable as anyone realized, mobilized a international force headed by the United States (and put together by President George H. W. Bush). Hussein believed his forces would inflict massive causalities but American loses were less then three hundred and Iraqi military loses were estimated at over 100,000. Hussein was forced out of Kuwait in humiliation.

The war was brought to an end with US forces in Iraq proper and the road to Baghdad essentially clear, but the war was ended with Hussein in control. Predictions of his fall proved naive as he declared himself victor and brutally put down rebellions which rose all over the country. He maintained his position of power all over the country except the northern Kurdish areas (protected by a no-fly zone) until toppled in the recent war.

prism97 wrote:
Now he has sent a boy to do a man's job.

George Walker Bush was elected President of the United States in 2001 at the age of 54 years old. Elected presidents William Clinton, John F. Kennedy, and Theodore Roosevelt were all younger when they took the oaths of office.

prism97 wrote:
True to form, Jr. too is failing (not the troops, but the politicians!)

Minor note: George W. Bush is note a "junior." He and his father have different names. Al Gore is.

prism97 wrote:
America sometimes seems to have little understanding for ways of life, systems & cultures not its own. What we in the West call terrorism is actually a different form of warfare! What we call cowarice, many view as an act of bravery. We sometimes are able only to see through 'Western' eyes.

So walking into a crowd of woman and children and blowing them up (with bombs laced with nails by the way, to make sure that they rip into people) is an act of bravery? Oh, but I'm "western," I forgot. You know what I think this is, honestly? Racism. "We have to understand, they are different then us! We must expect them to blow up their own people because they are so freakin' pathetic. Look at those silly Muslims and their middle-age ways, isn't that delightful?" Yes, terrorism is a form of warfare, but so is preemptive nuclear war. If some culture adopted preemptive nuclear war I wouldn't just pretend it was some nice "difference," I would combat it before it blew us all to hell (that is an extreme example obviously).

prism97 wrote:
The majority of the world sees things differently.

Because what the majority of the world thinks equal good, right? It's automatic. Most people in the world are well-informed and understand the issues.

prism97 wrote:
If the US was so intent on 'spreading freedom & democracy' why not rescue the people of Darfur?

We have limited resources. I would love it if Europe did something. But we are engaged in a war of our own and cannot stop to jump into every situation. We jumped into Liberia and Haiti to prevent catastrophes, and the Bush administration actually got a treaty signed removing an area from being effected from the terrible genocide taking place there. Be aware however, just going into The Sudan will not magically solve things. We would be making enemies of the ruthless rulers in the North who would target us using the same tactics which make it difficult to fight in Iraq.

prism97 wrote:
Why didn't they rescue the Tutsis in Rwanda?

Rwanda was under the auspices of the United Nations. The UN withdrew forces despite warnings from the UN commander on the ground. The Democratic administration at the time voted along with the other European powers to withdraw forces. The situation in Rwanda at that time was as complicated as the situation in the Sudan. There was a consignment of U.S. forces nearby and I would not necessarily opposed deployment. However in the anger after Somalia's "Black Hawk Down" Incident there was a huge reluctance for a deployment that was not "easy" or did not have overwhelming force.

prism97 wrote:
Feed the Ethiopians?

The terrible famine in Ethiopia took place under the adminstration under the brutal communist government of Mengistu Haile Mariam. It was his "red terror" that led to the deaths of 1,500,000 people. It would have been impossible without both war with Ethiopia and probably war with their Soviet backers to topple his regime. Efforts were made for food aid but these were counterproductive. The most famous, LIVE AID, left food on Ethiopian dock sides, and money diverted to fund Mariam's war effort. Today, Ethiopia is in far better shape.

prism97 wrote:
So many nations need rescuing.

What nations? Many people are in desperate help in tyrannical countries and places with horrible economic policies with stunt growth. How do we rescue a nation?

prism97 wrote:
The Iraqis never attacked the US nor did their people invite the US in.

Saddam Hussein personally order the assassination of the former President of the United States, George H. W. Bush while he was visiting Kuwait shortly after he left office. He also ordered Iraqi anti-aircraft missiles to be fired at US and UK jets legally enforcing no-fly zones as a part the treating ending the Gulf War. Both of these actions are considered casus belli (grounds for war) in international parlance. The latter action, as well every single violation of the inspections, abrogated the Gulf War cease fire.

The Iraqi people (specifically the Shi'a and the Kurds) expected the United States to support an uprising in the immediate aftermath of the Persian Gulf War.

prism97 wrote:
the bulk of the 911 terrorists were Saudis (whom the Bush administration still sees as allies!?!).

Yes, and Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind of the original World Trade Center bombing in 1993 (which was also supposed to bring the buildings down), was Iraqi. Additionally, Saddam Hussein praised the 9/11 attack (the only government in the world to do so), kept top terrorists who killed Americans in his country, and his intelligence files support the idea that he had ongoing plans to kill Americans.

Saudi Arabia apparently, or at least the leading elements of thinking in the royal family did not at the time. Since then they have indicated pragmatic support, but a williness to back the Sunni insurgency if it looks life we don't intend to stick it out.

Saudi Arabia is not a nice place, to say the least. However, on foreign affairs, the government tends to go with the wind. If they are to be moderated, they will be moderated from without, not from within.

prism97 wrote:
Saddam (although he is a bastard but no less or more than Kim Jong Il & a host of others) did not terrorize the US.

There is no evidence linking Saddam Hussein with any attacks on the United States territory. In my personal opinion, Kim Jong Il tinkering with his father's creation, rules the single most horrible and sadistic society anywhere in the world. The only things in the twentieth century on a country level that can compare with it are Mao's China, Pol Pot's Cambodia, and King Leopold's Congo.

prism97 wrote:
The US has walked in and destroyed the country!

Utter falsehood. In the beginning days of the conflict there were a bunch of big explosions on TV as US bombers hit military and government instillations. But if you think the United States has destroyed the country I suggest you look at Google Earth. In addition the amount of cars, cell phones, ect... in the car has skyrocketed. Hardly evidence of a country destroyed.

prism97 wrote:
How many Iraqi civilians have died?

Probably tens of thousands, I would guess, in total. Most killed have been killed by the insurgents in their terror campaign of intimidation. You do not want these people to take over the government.

prism97 wrote:
We never see these images like we did in the case of Vietnam.

US accidental killings of civilians is lower now then it was in Vietnam, and it was lower in Vietnam then it was in WWII. As technology advances, and the military becomes professional they become better at avoiding tragic accidents.

Oh, and remember the My Lai massacre? US soldiers, led my William Calley, murdered hundreds of innocent civilians. That was actually an exception. On the other side, the communists had plenty of cases of killing thousands of people. But there were cases of less then enlightened conduct in Vietnam (and WWII too, soldiers were hanged for murder of civilians then too).

prism97 wrote:
Your press has been censored!

Prism97, you don't list where you are from. We have something called the First Ammendment which gives the right to freedom of the press. Many of the top selling newspapers have savaged Bush during both of his terms. There are disagreements and debates about the first amendment and I personally have strong opinion about these but they involve thing like does the first amendment protect the right to advertise for a political candidate or does the first amendment protect the right for a reporter not to reveal a source under oath in a court of law.

prism97 wrote:
The US, with its melting pot mentality might see 'the Iraqis' as all one people, but THEY do not see it that way & it is important to understand & respect that.

Yes, I understand there are two branches of Islam. Plus, the Kurds (who are also Islamic). Did you know a despite what they say in almanacs something like twenty to thirty percent of the people in Turkey follow some alternative religion that says that those who do not follow Mohammed are not infidels. They still believe Mohammed is a Profit however. They are called the Alevi, and they are persecuted by the Turkish government.

Well, I guess not everyone is for understanding.

Prism97 wrote:
Look at the Irish in Belfast; same 'race', same appearance, same socio economic demographics & same Christianity-except one group is Catholic & the other is Protestant! Over this, they've been killing eachother for centuries.

I think they should just hold a vote (it is very likely they would vote to stay in the United Kingdom since a majority of the population is Protestant, and I don't see as a big deal any way). From what I understand they have a cease-fire in effect. Also the IRA assassinated politicians like Magaret Thatcher, murdered a member of the Royal Family, and blew up people on buses. Unionists responded with their own atrocities. Is this part of Northern Irish culture?

Prism97 wrote:
Are we so naive to think that we in North America can waltze in & change them with guns?!?

We "walzed" right into Mexico, the South, the Philippines, Germany, Japan, Panama, and Grenada. The US even defeated Islamic slave trading insurgents in the Philippines. Our strategy may have been muddled so far. But Britain looked pretty bad in 1940-41.

Prism97 wrote:
This war in Iraq is un-winnable since both sides gauge 'victory' differently. Iraq never declared war; the US INVADED.

Saddam Hussein had the opportunity to avoid war and declined to take it. No territory, no resources were asked for. He refused, and he paid.

Prism97 wrote:
As a Quebecoise, this scares the crap out of me.

Two languages in one country=Terrible policy.

Prism97 wrote:
When will Bush decide I deserve to be freed from my 'terroristic' French government or the British monarchy (plus seize control of our land, government & natural resources while they're at it)?

Simply nonsensical. First off, Quebec is part of Canada not France. Second off, it is a democracy regardless of how flawed the Canadian parliamentary system is. When has Bush spouted off at the British monarchy? He is actually (very) distantly related. Finally, when has Bush said another about wanting territory or resources? The opposite is true. When congressional Democrats put up a bill requiring the Iraqis to give us oil revenue to pay for the bill he strongly opposed it and it did not pass.

Prism97 wrote:
You are right; this is a kangaroo court & Saddam is being murdered. Not that I'll miss the ass-hole or plan to attend his funeral! It sends a message to any sovereign nation that possesses resources and refuses to do or think as the USA wants it to. How soon will we face trumped-up charges and false allegations (like we are secretly stockpiling weapons of mass destruction & the US can prove it!) and see our Prime Minister strapped to a gurney for a lethal injection & our Queen, may God save her, deposed?

Saddam was not murdered. The charges were easily proved in a court of law and he was justly hanged just like the Nazi and Japanese imperialist war criminals.

If it is a small comfort, I swear to you if Bush talks of an invasion of Canada or killing the Steven Harper on the Queen, I will beg the Canadian army to take me in to defend your country and if not then take to the streets!

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 10:00 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Excellent. I look forward to reading it.

I do too. I don't hate him - I like to think that I don't hate anyone. In fact, I have rather strong moral views against the death penalty so I would have preferred to see him exiled or imprisoned.

manila: I don't exactly think that you post the most objective things in this forum. I don't know if you honestly believe all of the things you post, or if you just post it to make us see the non-mainstream point of view. Please don't think that I am trying to bait you into an argument - I'd actually like to hear what your reasons are.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 10:23 pm

janicka wrote:
manila: I don't exactly think that you post the most objective things in this forum. I don't know if you honestly believe all of the things you post, or if you just post it to make us see the non-mainstream point of view. Please don't think that I am trying to bait you into an argument - I'd actually like to hear what your reasons are.

I agree I am curious as well.

I have this question. You stated that manila does not post the most "objective" things in the forum. This would seem to imply you believe that you do. I am curious if you believe this is the case. You also refer to what he believes as "non-mainstream." Do you believe what you believe is "mainstream?" Do you believe you have the ability to declare what is mainstream and what to dismiss and not mainstream.

As, an example you mention your opposition to capital punishment. I am not sure where you hail from but a clear majority of Americans support the death penalty for murder. In Canada and Europe polls show mixed results but generally the rates are close enough that if allowed to go the vote it is possible that multiple countries would legalize capital punishment once again. For the record, I think it is clear that both those for and against capital punishment are within the current mainstream of western opinion. What do you think? And how do you define what is "mainstream" opinion in general?

I will have my full point by point response to your reaction to Prism97 tomorrow.

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2006, 10:28 pm

jimservo wrote:
I think it is a good thing that Saddam Hussein was executed. His trial was fair. It has been stated that his trial was unfair. I ask in what way? The Nuremberg Trials would not stand up to US Court scrutiny. Yes, he was executed for something he authorized years earlier. So what? He was tried for murdering more then one-hundred and seventy people. He actually murdered a million people.

The Iraqis did a remarkable job under the pressure of threats, murders of judges and lawyers to conduct a fair trial with appeals and then execute the sentence. I give them my praise.

It's sad that a few commentators have decided to reduce this important occassion to engage in political diatribe. I do not believe it should go unanswered.

prism97 wrote:
Hi! I also think Saddam is a major league fink. With all due respect to your country's soldiers, I don't think Bush & Rumsfeld sent the troops in there to promote freedom democracy & all that Americana.

It was never stated as the only primary goal to go to Iraq to "promote freedom(,) democracy & all that Americana." In the end, the reason for the invasion of Iraq in the eyes of the Bush administration, like the earlier invasion of Afghanistan, was the national security interests of the United States. If promoting democracy, and western values promotes national security then so be it.

prism97 wrote:
Frankly, the Iraqis are an ancient civilization. Much older than most. and if they wanted a democracy, they'd have one!

The statement is based on a incorrect concept. The Iraqis are not an ancient civilization. Mesopotamia was. However, due to invasions, and migrations the people that lived in that region, and virtually every other region of the world has changed since that time. A couple fairly recent key ones here are the Turkish invasions from the East and the great Islamic invasions from the Arab peninsula after Arabia converted to Islam.

Iraq itself was was carved out of three Ottoman provinces, which explains the mishmash of Sunnis, Shi'a and Kurds. Except for the Kurds, the Iraqis are Arabs, which the Mesopotamians were definitely not.

prism97 wrote:
This is about the elder Bush waltzing into Iraq after a lot of bragging & swaggering & then getting his ass handed to him.

Are you referring to the Persian Gulf War in which Saddam Hussein attempted to annex Kuwait? Perhaps you are unaware of these events? After occupying the country, Hussein allowed/ordered his troops to commit various war crimes. The international community, partially due the oil in Kuwait and partially due to the fact that Hussein was clearly not as predictable as anyone realized, mobilized a international force headed by the United States (and put together by President George H. W. Bush). Hussein believed his forces would inflict massive causalities but American loses were less then three hundred and Iraqi military loses were estimated at over 100,000. Hussein was forced out of Kuwait in humiliation.

The war was brought to an end with US forces in Iraq proper and the road to Baghdad essentially clear, but the war was ended with Hussein in control. Predictions of his fall proved naive as he declared himself victor and brutally put down rebellions which rose all over the country. He maintained his position of power all over the country except the northern Kurdish areas (protected by a no-fly zone) until toppled in the recent war.

prism97 wrote:
Now he has sent a boy to do a man's job.

George Walker Bush was elected President of the United States in 2001 at the age of 54 years old. Elected presidents William Clinton, John F. Kennedy, and Theodore Roosevelt were all younger when they took the oaths of office.

prism97 wrote:
True to form, Jr. too is failing (not the troops, but the politicians!)

Minor note: George W. Bush is note a "junior." He and his father have different names. Al Gore is.

prism97 wrote:
America sometimes seems to have little understanding for ways of life, systems & cultures not its own. What we in the West call terrorism is actually a different form of warfare! What we call cowarice, many view as an act of bravery. We sometimes are able only to see through 'Western' eyes.

So walking into a crowd of woman and children and blowing them up (with bombs laced with nails by the way, to make sure that they rip into people) is an act of bravery? Oh, but I'm "western," I forgot. You know what I think this is, honestly? Racism. "We have to understand, they are different then us! We must expect them to blow up their own people because they are so freakin' pathetic. Look at those silly Muslims and their middle-age ways, isn't that delightful?" Yes, terrorism is a form of warfare, but so is preemptive nuclear war. If some culture adopted preemptive nuclear war I wouldn't just pretend it was some nice "difference," I would combat it before it blew us all to hell (that is an extreme example obviously).

prism97 wrote:
The majority of the world sees things differently.

Because what the majority of the world thinks equal good, right? It's automatic. Most people in the world are well-informed and understand the issues.

prism97 wrote:
If the US was so intent on 'spreading freedom & democracy' why not rescue the people of Darfur?

We have limited resources. I would love it if Europe did something. But we are engaged in a war of our own and cannot stop to jump into every situation. We jumped into Liberia and Haiti to prevent catastrophes, and the Bush administration actually got a treaty signed removing an area from being effected from the terrible genocide taking place there. Be aware however, just going into The Sudan will not magically solve things. We would be making enemies of the ruthless rulers in the North who would target us using the same tactics which make it difficult to fight in Iraq.

prism97 wrote:
Why didn't they rescue the Tutsis in Rwanda?

Rwanda was under the auspices of the United Nations. The UN withdrew forces despite warnings from the UN commander on the ground. The Democratic administration at the time voted along with the other European powers to withdraw forces. The situation in Rwanda at that time was as complicated as the situation in the Sudan. There was a consignment of U.S. forces nearby and I would not necessarily opposed deployment. However in the anger after Somalia's "Black Hawk Down" Incident there was a huge reluctance for a deployment that was not "easy" or did not have overwhelming force.

prism97 wrote:
Feed the Ethiopians?

The terrible famine in Ethiopia took place under the adminstration under the brutal communist government of Mengistu Haile Mariam. It was his "red terror" that led to the deaths of 1,500,000 people. It would have been impossible without both war with Ethiopia and probably war with their Soviet backers to topple his regime. Efforts were made for food aid but these were counterproductive. The most famous, LIVE AID, left food on Ethiopian dock sides, and money diverted to fund Mariam's war effort. Today, Ethiopia is in far better shape.

prism97 wrote:
So many nations need rescuing.

What nations? Many people are in desperate help in tyrannical countries and places with horrible economic policies with stunt growth. How do we rescue a nation?

prism97 wrote:
The Iraqis never attacked the US nor did their people invite the US in.

Saddam Hussein personally order the assassination of the former President of the United States, George H. W. Bush while he was visiting Kuwait shortly after he left office. He also ordered Iraqi anti-aircraft missiles to be fired at US and UK jets legally enforcing no-fly zones as a part the treating ending the Gulf War. Both of these actions are considered casus belli (grounds for war) in international parlance. The latter action, as well every single violation of the inspections, abrogated the Gulf War cease fire.

The Iraqi people (specifically the Shi'a and the Kurds) expected the United States to support an uprising in the immediate aftermath of the Persian Gulf War.

prism97 wrote:
the bulk of the 911 terrorists were Saudis (whom the Bush administration still sees as allies!?!).

Yes, and Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind of the original World Trade Center bombing in 1993 (which was also supposed to bring the buildings down), was Iraqi. Additionally, Saddam Hussein praised the 9/11 attack (the only government in the world to do so), kept top terrorists who killed Americans in his country, and his intelligence files support the idea that he had ongoing plans to kill Americans.

Saudi Arabia apparently, or at least the leading elements of thinking in the royal family did not at the time. Since then they have indicated pragmatic support, but a williness to back the Sunni insurgency if it looks life we don't intend to stick it out.

Saudi Arabia is not a nice place, to say the least. However, on foreign affairs, the government tends to go with the wind. If they are to be moderated, they will be moderated from without, not from within.

prism97 wrote:
Saddam (although he is a bastard but no less or more than Kim Jong Il & a host of others) did not terrorize the US.

There is no evidence linking Saddam Hussein with any attacks on the United States territory. In my personal opinion, Kim Jong Il tinkering with his father's creation, rules the single most horrible and sadistic society anywhere in the world. The only things in the twentieth century on a country level that can compare with it are Mao's China, Pol Pot's Cambodia, and King Leopold's Congo.

prism97 wrote:
The US has walked in and destroyed the country!

Utter falsehood. In the beginning days of the conflict there were a bunch of big explosions on TV as US bombers hit military and government instillations. But if you think the United States has destroyed the country I suggest you look at Google Earth. In addition the amount of cars, cell phones, ect... in the car has skyrocketed. Hardly evidence of a country destroyed.

prism97 wrote:
How many Iraqi civilians have died?

Probably tens of thousands, I would guess, in total. Most killed have been killed by the insurgents in their terror campaign of intimidation. You do not want these people to take over the government.

prism97 wrote:
We never see these images like we did in the case of Vietnam.

US accidental killings of civilians is lower now then it was in Vietnam, and it was lower in Vietnam then it was in WWII. As technology advances, and the military becomes professional they become better at avoiding tragic accidents.

Oh, and remember the My Lai massacre? US soldiers, led my William Calley, murdered hundreds of innocent civilians. That was actually an exception. On the other side, the communists had plenty of cases of killing thousands of people. But there were cases of less then enlightened conduct in Vietnam (and WWII too, soldiers were hanged for murder of civilians then too).

prism97 wrote:
Your press has been censored!

Prism97, you don't list where you are from. We have something called the First Ammendment which gives the right to freedom of the press. Many of the top selling newspapers have savaged Bush during both of his terms. There are disagreements and debates about the first amendment and I personally have strong opinion about these but they involve thing like does the first amendment protect the right to advertise for a political candidate or does the first amendment protect the right for a reporter not to reveal a source under oath in a court of law.

prism97 wrote:
The US, with its melting pot mentality might see 'the Iraqis' as all one people, but THEY do not see it that way & it is important to understand & respect that.

Yes, I understand there are two branches of Islam. Plus, the Kurds (who are also Islamic). Did you know a despite what they say in almanacs something like twenty to thirty percent of the people in Turkey follow some alternative religion that says that those who do not follow Mohammed are not infidels. They still believe Mohammed is a Profit however. They are called the Alevi, and they are persecuted by the Turkish government.

Well, I guess not everyone is for understanding.

Prism97 wrote:
Look at the Irish in Belfast; same 'race', same appearance, same socio economic demographics & same Christianity-except one group is Catholic & the other is Protestant! Over this, they've been killing eachother for centuries.

I think they should just hold a vote (it is very likely they would vote to stay in the United Kingdom since a majority of the population is Protestant, and I don't see as a big deal any way). From what I understand they have a cease-fire in effect. Also the IRA assassinated politicians like Magaret Thatcher, murdered a member of the Royal Family, and blew up people on buses. Unionists responded with their own atrocities. Is this part of Northern Irish culture?

Prism97 wrote:
Are we so naive to think that we in North America can waltze in & change them with guns?!?

We "walzed" right into Mexico, the South, the Philippines, Germany, Japan, Panama, and Grenada. The US even defeated Islamic slave trading insurgents in the Philippines. Our strategy may have been muddled so far. But Britain looked pretty bad in 1940-41.

Prism97 wrote:
This war in Iraq is un-winnable since both sides gauge 'victory' differently. Iraq never declared war; the US INVADED.

Saddam Hussein had the opportunity to avoid war and declined to take it. No territory, no resources were asked for. He refused, and he paid.

Prism97 wrote:
As a Quebecoise, this scares the crap out of me.

Two languages in one country=Terrible policy.

Prism97 wrote:
When will Bush decide I deserve to be freed from my 'terroristic' French government or the British monarchy (plus seize control of our land, government & natural resources while they're at it)?

Simply nonsensical. First off, Quebec is part of Canada not France. Second off, it is a democracy regardless of how flawed the Canadian parliamentary system is. When has Bush spouted off at the British monarchy? He is actually (very) distantly related. Finally, when has Bush said another about wanting territory or resources? The opposite is true. When congressional Democrats put up a bill requiring the Iraqis to give us oil revenue to pay for the bill he strongly opposed it and it did not pass.

Prism97 wrote:
You are right; this is a kangaroo court & Saddam is being murdered. Not that I'll miss the ass-hole or plan to attend his funeral! It sends a message to any sovereign nation that possesses resources and refuses to do or think as the USA wants it to. How soon will we face trumped-up charges and false allegations (like we are secretly stockpiling weapons of mass destruction & the US can prove it!) and see our Prime Minister strapped to a gurney for a lethal injection & our Queen, may God save her, deposed?

Saddam was not murdered. The charges were easily proved in a court of law and he was justly hanged just like the Nazi and Japanese imperialist war criminals.

If it is a small comfort, I swear to you if Bush talks of an invasion of Canada or killing the Steven Harper on the Queen, I will beg the Canadian army to take me in to defend your country and if not then take to the streets!

Great Post

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 10:46 pm

[quote="jimservo]I agree I am curious as well.

I have this question. You stated that manila does not post the most "objective" things in the forum. This would seem to imply you believe that you do. I am curious if you believe this is the case. You also refer to what he believes as "non-mainstream." Do you believe what you believe is "mainstream?" Do you believe you have the ability to declare what is mainstream and what to dismiss and not mainstream.[/quote]

You make a good point. Personally, I think that all media is biased to some degree or another. I guess a better way to say it is that I attempt to look for news articles that are more objective whereas manila seems to often pick potentially inflammatory opinion pieces.

[quote="jimservo]
As, an example you mention your opposition to capital punishment. I am not sure where you hail from but a clear majority of Americans support the death penalty for murder. In Canada and Europe polls show mixed results but generally the rates are close enough that if allowed to go the vote it is possible that multiple countries would legalize capital punishment once again. For the record, I think it is clear that both those for and against capital punishment are within the current mainstream of western opinion. What do you think? And how do you define what is "mainstream" opinion in general?[/quote]

I think that opinions that a substantial portion of the population shares could be considered mainstream. Now, if you are asking me what percentage of the population that should be, I really can't give you an answer. As far as the death penalty is concerned, I realize that a majority of Americans support it so I am definitely in the minority there (I am in the U.S.). But I don't think that my opinion on this is outside of the mainstream. Now, if I were called for jury duty and the death penalty was a potential punishment, I would be frank with the judge about my views. This would likely result in my dismissal from the jury, and I am fine with that. I just don't want the blood on my hands.

[quote="jimservo]
I will have my full point by point response to your reaction to Prism97 tomorrow.[/quote]

I look forward to reading it. :)

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 11:45 pm

Nexus wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6218485.stm

It's been done, Saddam has been executed. So brace for hell in Iraq, because I have a feeling this will make all the tension explode now.

Now only if i had 200,000 clones of myself.....so i could form teh Allied Aaronite Alliance,and take over iraq and end teh phony war once and for all!! !! !

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2006, 12:24 am

Nuremberg is not a good litmus test of whether or not a trial is fair.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2006, 1:06 am

I was watching that, this morning.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2006, 1:57 am

manalitwist wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Why do you think that?

That will take a while to answer, if you dont mind ill sleep on it and should have an answer tomorrow. :)

Nope, I need none, I'm kind of on the same page as you with this.

The funny thing is, we live in an age of the internet, cameras are on every piece of equipment. I've read news reports of Saddam's death. Great, some reports even have what was said on 'camera phones' and 'hear say' but there are 2 pictures on the internet.

BIGGEST death in recent time and TWO bloody pictures. One RIGHT before they hung him, nice and lovely, and a sh***y shot of afterwards where you can't make s**t out.

CNN:
Hussein executed with 'fear in his face' < -- what? 'fear?' Is this real?

WHOA WHOA!! !

Yahoo has this:
who looked calm and composed as he stood on the gallows, had shouted angry political slogans while masked guards were bringing him into the execution chamber once used by his own feared intelligence services.

?!

What one was it? Was he calm or fearful?!