Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

itzybitzyspyder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm

I played soccer for 8 years and took Tai Kwon Do for 5, but I love hackey sack. My avatar pic is actually me playing hackey sack. When I first started I would pretend that if it hit the ground I would get shocked or something. I don't like to toot my own horn, but I'm f*****g awesome! I'll drop a youtube vid in my next post. Gimmie a minute...

itzybitzyspyder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2013, 11:41 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22aTXkaRkk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2013, 1:00 pm

IrishTusk wrote:
I know this thread is about Kick boxing.

But does any one here do old school boxing? It's my 21st next month and rather than a huge party am thinking about asking my folks to pull a few strings and get me into boxing with some of the local greats.

But even though I'm actually going through the process of getting my asperger's Diagnoses Disproved with my Physiologist I -reaally- can associate with poor motor control and balance.

Love it. Felt really awkward, and I seemed to progress slower than my peers, but stubborn persistence kept me going, along with heavy hands.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:05 am

Palakol wrote:
IrishTusk wrote:
I know this thread is about Kick boxing.

But does any one here do old school boxing? It's my 21st next month and rather than a huge party am thinking about asking my folks to pull a few strings and get me into boxing with some of the local greats.

But even though I'm actually going through the process of getting my asperger's Diagnoses Disproved with my Physiologist I -reaally- can associate with poor motor control and balance.

Love it. Felt really awkward, and I seemed to progress slower than my peers, but stubborn persistence kept me going, along with heavy hands.

I love it, too. There's something so satisfying about throwing and landing punches. I think part of it is growing up female and being discouraged from being overtly, aggressively physical (I'm from an older generation, where women definitely did not hit). I love the forms and trying to perfect them. It's hard work, too!

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:59 pm

A few years ago I joined a martial arts gym where basically they offered an array of classes in different styles and you could just show up to train in whatever styles you wanted. And the strangest part was sometimes the style was something totally random that you didn't know what you were getting into until you got there.

It was fun but awkward as hell starting out, I liked the straight up boxing and the muay thai, but the first time I ever went it was some kind of filipino "boxing". It was a bunch of super elaborate small joint locks and stuff like that and I was completely lost on the body mechanics.

I didn't stick with the martial arts for too long because in an unrelated incident I horribly broke and dislocated a finger like 4 months after I started. That was a pretty big problem because I couldn't punch or block punches anymore and the thing I was really into was muay thai. I was kind of bummed because it was good times while it lasted, but it's not like I ever had a future as a fighter or anything, so whatever.