Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

chrisc1995
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

Anyone go to prom? What was your experience there?

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2013, 11:57 pm

One of the popular girls asked me to go, but I had a feeling she wasn't serious so I said no. I went to see Super 8 instead (it was opening night). I didn't care for most people I went to school with, so I doubt I missed much.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 12:37 pm

I did not go was way to expensive for one night to go to prom.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 12:54 pm

In my junior year, I worked up enough courage to ask a girl to the prom. She just shook her head and laughed ... then she told her friends, and they laughed, too. When the teachers found out, it became a joke - they would ask me at the beginning of every class if I had a prom date yet, and then chuckle or giggle even before I had a chance to answer.

In my senior year, I worked up a list of 27 girls to ask to the prom. Each one of them turned me down. Not so much laughter that time, but it was humiliating, nonetheless. The teachers were like, "Is everyone looking forward to the Prom? Everyone except Fnordie, of course..."

On prom night, my sister went with her date. As soon as they left, my dad started expressing his anger and disappointment in having a son who couldn't get a date. He accused me of being gay (which was a Really Bad Thing back in the 1970s), of lying about the girls I'd asked, of being stupid, of being lazy, and of just about everything his alcohol-soaked brain could think of. Then he banished me to the garage overnight to "think about it".

Did I go to the prom?

HELL NO!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

rickith
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
[...]
In my senior year, I worked up a list of 27 girls to ask to the prom. Each one of them turned me down. Not so much laughter that time, but it was humiliating, nonetheless. The teachers were like, "Is everyone looking forward to the Prom? Everyone except Fnordie, of course..."
[...]

Damn, that's harsh, getting turned down by 27 girls... Kudos for asking them though, I don't think I'd have the balls to do that.

As for myself, I did not see the appeal of spending an evening with lots of people I barely knew, lots of music and ... dancing.

Where I live the prom doesn't seem be to be as hyped up as it is in the US. There was no asking anyone to go with you, you just went there and that was it. Or so I think anyway, maybe I just didn't see those things happening around me.

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2013, 5:33 pm

Well I didn't go to my prom but I would have loved to have gone to the after party. I was just learning how awesome drinking can be.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 5:50 pm

It's coming up on 40 years since the senior prom, and all of the girls who turned me down have been divorced at least once and have issues with managing their health, weight, and employment.

Time and gravity seem to have enacted greater vengeance on them than any nefarious plot I could have come up with.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm

Never went because I knew that I would just end up in a corner staring at people. :(

AwakeningAspergian
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2013, 11:00 pm

Am I the only one here who hasn't had a negative experience with prom? Although the chances that I'll be going alone this year are pretty high, my only prom experience was a good one. I didn't know most of the people I went with very well, they were friends of my boyfriend so I was from a different scene than the rest of them. We got lost on the way to the showboat where the prom was being held and we had to run through the rain to get there from the car, but it was a good time. I danced to music I hated because when it comes to events like that I don't give a flying pool noodle about what I like and don't like. I ate one of the weirdest-looking yet most delicious desserts I'd ever tasted. I talked to my group and found some common threads with them. I danced with my guitarist's girlfriend to "Single Ladies" just to mess around with our guys. And afterwards we all went back to our friend's house for about ten minutes in the hot tub before my mom picked me up.
Moral of the story: it doesn't always suck. Forget what everyone else thinks of you and forget that you're around people. You're there so you can have fun.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 11:07 pm

I didn't want to go to Prom. I didn't like my school and wanted no part of any events that had ties to my school. I won't go to H.S. reunions either.

Catharascotia
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm

I wanted to go, but knew no one would ask me, and I didn't have female friends I could go with, either, I was very unpopular at my high school. Afterward I pretended like I had no interest in going and thought the whole thing was stupid, but I've always wished I could have gone.

Catharascotia
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2013, 11:19 pm

I wanted to go, but knew no one would ask me, and I didn't have female friends I could go with, either, I was very unpopular at my high school. Afterward I pretended like I had no interest in going and thought the whole thing was stupid, but I've always wished I could have gone.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:53 pm

I didn't go to my prom. Why not? To paraphrase a nursery rhyme, "for the want of a car, the prom was lost".

In my high school, in order to date, a guy absolutely, non-negotiably, had to have a car. Without a car, his chance of getting a date was zero, plain and simple. I even had one girl like me (!), as shocking as that seemed. She even agreed to go on a date with me; but when I told her I didn't have a car, she broke the date. Now, if she didn't date me, she wouldn't get to know me romantically, which meant she wouldn't feel comfortable going to the prom with me. (Understandable, I guess.) So as soon as she broke the date, I pretty much knew at that point that she will not be going to the prom with me. And there wasn't enough time to find another date, either.

Maybe it was for the best. The estimated cost of going to the prom (for the guy) at my high school was $500. And unlike girls, guys don't even have the benefit of the Glass Slipper Project, which provided gently used prom dresses for free. In other words, no free tuxedos for guys, and the tux rentals run up to $150, plus limo rental, plus dinner for two, plus corsage for his date. For comparison, a 7-day all-inclusive resort vacation during the same year cost $800 plus incidentals.

Needless to say, I felt compelled to "redeem myself" by finding a date for the school dance my freshman year of college. I found a date. She didn't care about me not having a car. We even took the city bus to downtown. But it was the most awkward date in my entire life.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 5:09 pm

People make WAAAAAAAY too much of a deal out of prom. My experience might be different since I am a girl and I got dates both my Junior and Senior year, but looking back it wasn't so much a great memory as it was more like a waste of time and money. It's basically a school dance fancified. I enjoyed the limo ride there but not much else. The second prom I actually enjoyed better meeting up with some of my single gfs as opposed to being around my "date" the whole time. I know some schools require dates (which is kinda stupid) but if you can go with single friends, you'll probably have a better time and can spare yourself the need to get a date. But really given that I have no real attachments to my high school or the high school experience, it might have been better and easier to not go at all. It's a few weeks before graduating anyway, so it is kinda pointless looking back on it.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 12:39 am

I went to 2 proms. The first one I was a junior and I went with a friend who was a senior. The second one was my senior prom, I went with my friend from the swim team who was a freshmen.

It was a pretty fun experience.

mfs1013
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2013, 2:37 am

i didn't go to my junior prom

For my senior prom, my special ed teacher arranged a date (who was a sophomore at the time) to go with me... it was fun, since im from New Jersey... the seniors spend their post prom week at the Jersey Shore, preferably, Wildwood.... i didn't go, because people would've felt awkward around me

side note, my senior english teacher monday after prom said "Look at you losers!!" for those who didn't skip school to be at the beach, including me

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/mfs1013

http://soundcloud.com/DJMFS
http://mixcloud.com/DJMFS