women, is it true Having a male gynecologist is like going t

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kyethra
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2007, 3:19 am

The best gyno I ever saw was a male. Actually the best two gynos. My favorite was the one I saw at Mayo. The worst gyno I ever saw was a woman. It depends on the doctor, not the gender. Though in my experience- and do to a big problem with a cyst- I have had a lot of pelvic exams- the women do tend to be rougher then the men.

As far as rectal exams- I have been in a situation where I have had a simulaneous vaginal and rectal exam. It was after an ovarian cyst I had ruptered and I had severe abdominal pain and other symptoms. In these situations the one thing to remember is always to just say no when they ask if the residents can take a look. Because that means the residents want to look using the speculum. And there are always more residents then you initially think there are. So please learn by my mistake- do not let the residents look.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 3:48 am

kyethra wrote:
The best gyno I ever saw was a male. Actually the best two gynos. My favorite was the one I saw at Mayo. The worst gyno I ever saw was a woman. It depends on the doctor, not the gender. Though in my experience- and do to a big problem with a cyst- I have had a lot of pelvic exams- the women do tend to be rougher then the men.

As far as rectal exams- I have been in a situation where I have had a simulaneous vaginal and rectal exam. It was after an ovarian cyst I had ruptered and I had severe abdominal pain and other symptoms. In these situations the one thing to remember is always to just say no when they ask if the residents can take a look. Because that means the residents want to look using the speculum. And there are always more residents then you initially think there are. So please learn by my mistake- do not let the residents look.

Any question involving having anyone extra "looking" during that type of exam would be an instant no for me.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 12:51 pm

Although I haven't gotten a pelvic exam yet, I do know that in general I feel more comfortable around women doctors than guy doctors. I mean, some guy doctors are okay, yet I think that women tend to be more gentle and more soothing than lots of guy doctors. When I do go get my first pelvic exam, I will probably request a woman doctor.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 4:44 pm

I've had both male and female gynos and I prefer the males. I always felt the women pulled an attitude with me because I didn't "feel" the way they felt I should - mainly that I had a pronounced disinterest in children and found the entire cycle to just be annoying and unneeded. I always found them to be rough and to be frank, rude. I connected with the men much better.

As to the whole being more comfortable with a woman from a looking at me thing? That never bothered me with either the men or the women. I would say they probably see enough women in a professional capacity that they don't look at it that way, so neither do I. To be honest, that didn't even occur to me until I was much older and someone brought it up. I didn't really understand the significance then and I'm not much better about understanding it now.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 5:45 pm

I read the in Muslim countries that male gynos are allowed to treat woman patients, but only using a mirror. They are not allowed to look directly at the woman's female body parts. I think this is really assinine.

miriam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2007, 7:34 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
Immortal wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
bizarre wrote:
Yeah but i could still feel her nails thru the gloves.

I hope she didn't insist on a rectal exam

Considering a rectal exam is not part of a pap smear... that was honestly a useless comment if I ever saw one when it comes to a topic that deals with a woman's experience with a gynecologist... maybe if you were seeing a proctologist it might seem a little more appropriate.

Bizarre, sounds like she obviously needs to be shown how to use nail clippers. :lol:

uh
isn't rectal exam part of a pelvic exam?

well i'm not going to argue but http://www.sa.psu.edu/uhs/womenshealth/pelvicexam.cfm

" Finally, a rectal exam may also be performed. Still wearing a glove, your health clinician will insert a finger in the vagina while another well-lubricated finger is gently inserted into the rectum. This is done to determine if there are any masses in the anal canal and also to feel the uterus, cervix, and ovaries. Again, try to relax."

I'm just the messenger.

Nope, not at all.

Guess what... the big word is 'may' and I'm 33 and have had pap smears done since before 18 years of age and never had a rectal exam so guess what, you aren't the expert and more likely a pervert I'd think anyways...

Well, I'm 44 and every gyn exam I've ever had has included the rectal. You may want to discuss with your doctor why he or she doesn't do this and possibly reconsider health care providers. I don't find it a pleasant part of the exam and I suspect it the doctors don't love doing it either, but it takes practically no time and presumably has screening value. As a point of reference, my doctors are connected to major NYC teaching hospitals, so I'm very inclined to think they know what they're doing.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:16 am

I'm 46, and in only two of all of the pelvic exams I've had did I have an anal exam. I've had a variety of physicians, from private to clinic to teaching docs, and I'm thinking a rectal exam is only so helpful in checking women, or because of the individual woman that there's a specific reason for such an exam.

I have also had three lower g.i.'s (oh, joy, that)(actually, they're not bad--the upper g.i. exam was far worse), d & c's with fibroid removal, and a uteroscopy with biopsy, and the only time I had a rectal was for regular exams with a nurse practitioner who was my regular primary for a while until she quit her practice.

I wonder if a tilted uterus would be easier to feel with a rectal as opposed to a vaginal exam. I'll have to ask my sister.

Metta, Jaye 8)

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:56 pm

jonathandoors wrote:
women, do you think it's true that Having a male gynecologist is like going to an auto mechanic who doesn't own a car?

pretty much, yep.

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 12:57 pm

I prefer not to visit male gynecologists simply because they don't experience the female reproductive system first-hand, not because I think they're perverts or under-qualified academically.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:47 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
bizarre wrote:
Yeah but i could still feel her nails thru the gloves.

I hope she didn't insist on a rectal exam

Considering a rectal exam is not part of a pap smear... that was honestly a useless comment if I ever saw one when it comes to a topic that deals with a woman's experience with a gynecologist... maybe if you were seeing a proctologist it might seem a little more appropriate.

Bizarre, sounds like she obviously needs to be shown how to use nail clippers. :lol:

i've been having pelvic exams for 30 years. and a rectal exam has typically been a part of them. they also do a scraping sample (pap smear) to check for cancer. they ususally have also done a breast check for lumps at the same exam.

and yeah, that's weird about long fingernails. i'd think that was not exactly a useful thing for a medical person to have, if they deal physically with clients.

OA_
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2007, 10:55 am

I prefer a male inspecting my insides than a female.

I have found over the years that men are more gentle. The last female doctor I went to hurt me, and when I told her she was hurting me, told me 'get over it'.

Nasty b***h. Will always take a man over a woman anytime.

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2007, 4:47 pm

aspiesmom1 wrote:
That's not a valid analogy. The doctor may not possess the parts in question however he spent many hours learning everything he needs to know about them, and actually working with them.

This reminds me of something I read in the "Clan of the Cave Bear" series by Jean Auel, book 3 or 4. These early Cro-Magnon tribes all worshipped mother earth in a literal anthropomorphization. When the heroine, Ayla, finds a cave opening of red rock shaped like a vulva, a local shaman woman points out that most men are far more familiar with the appearance and behavior of female genitals than women are, unless they're midwives.

stickboy26
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2007, 1:56 pm

alex wrote:
it's a joke, it's not supposed to be true/false

LOL. Finally, the voice of reason! :lol:

yeah, yeah, I know. No guys, right? But I was curious OK?? Just deal. :P

whit3rabbit33
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2007, 5:15 pm

It may seem valid first read, but as someone else said... maybe he hasnt owned a car, but he has spent a lot of time underneath the hood.

Personally I feel more comfortable with women and acutally refuse to have a guy gyno (my mom has a male gyno and tried to get my to see him just because it was more convienient for her to go to wone place and talk to one doctor). I got lucky and have a really nice woman gyno (who luckily was in the same doctors office as my moms doctor!). I had severe PMS in high school and weird period cycles and when I went to go see her and she prescribed me a pill, she told me she prescribed me the same pill that she took, for whatever reason, when she was younger and that pill worked wonders (I tried the generic kind of birth control and it toally did nothing for my pms so I went back to the pill she prescribed me and that works). So I always liked the idea that a female gyno can relate like that.

But it does make more sense to me that male gynos would be more polite. Maybe they have learned it is tough having a vagina or since they know they dont have or know female parts first hand, they feel more careful as to be polite and caring when poking around there.

I never had a rectal exam. My gyno always has one finger in my vagina and then puts the other hand to the corrisponding place on my belly to feel the wall and whatever and always. I guess ifyou are comortable having a rectal and if you are at risk for something, then it is necessicary or at least not a problem. But I prefer going without for now. And dont guys have a reason to get rectals? Isnt that how they check their prostates?