women, is it true Having a male gynecologist is like going t

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2006, 1:49 pm

women, do you think it's true that Having a male gynecologist is like going to an auto mechanic who doesn't own a car?

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2006, 2:43 pm

That's not a valid analogy.

The doctor may not possess the parts in question however he spent many hours learning everything he needs to know about them, and actually working with them. I have had both male and female gyn's and the only dissatisfaction I've had is personality issues - not ability.

Same thing with the mechanic. While he may not own a car, he didn't get to be a mechanic without spending a lot of hours under the hood of cars. And as with the gyn, I don't care if my mechanic is a male or female, as long as they are good at what they do.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2006, 4:34 pm

To a certain extent yes. A lot depends on the drs personality I would imagine. However when it comes to things like understanding the misery of certain gyno disorders I think the females are more likely to treat you seriously and do something about the problem. That said my female gyno is about as gentle on exams as a car mechanic would be. But she's wonderful & easy to talk to so that's why I go back to her.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2006, 5:43 pm

I have only once been to a male gynecologist, and another time had a male ER doctor clumsily cram a speculum in me. Both horrible experiences.

I have not found female gynecologists to be much better, btw, but nurse midwives tend to be be really gentle and knowledgable.

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2006, 7:24 pm

aspiesmom1 wrote:
That's not a valid analogy.

The doctor may not possess the parts in question however he spent many hours learning everything he needs to know about them, and actually working with them. I have had both male and female gyn's and the only dissatisfaction I've had is personality issues - not ability.

Same thing with the mechanic. While he may not own a car, he didn't get to be a mechanic without spending a lot of hours under the hood of cars. And as with the gyn, I don't care if my mechanic is a male or female, as long as they are good at what they do.

" Women's Discussion
This is a place where women can feel safe to be themselves. NO guys allowed! "Having a male gynecologist is like going to an auto mechanic who doesn't own a car.""

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2006, 9:16 pm

I would certainly not go to a male gyno. Not that they couldn't do their job, but it would be very uncomfortable.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 12:41 am

No, it's a stupid analogy. My favorite gynecologist that I've ever seen is a man.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 6:55 am

I would never see a male gyno. Then again, nor have I ever felt comfortable having a male physician, therapist, psychiatrist...or really any other heath care or mental health care professional. But really, *especially* not a gynocologist

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 11:25 am

I don't know about gynos, but the female nurse at the clinic I go to for smear tests is an absolute sadist! She's so rough. Nurse Dyno-rod I call her because she has the sensitivity of someone unblocking a drain. She actually made me cry last time, it was so painful.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Dec 2006, 11:26 am

it's a joke, it's not supposed to be true/false

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2007, 12:56 pm

Starr wrote:
I don't know about gynos, but the female nurse at the clinic I go to for smear tests is an absolute sadist! She's so rough. Nurse Dyno-rod I call her because she has the sensitivity of someone unblocking a drain. She actually made me cry last time, it was so painful.

I would go to another provider.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 7:21 pm

I don't think so.

I mean, the person is studied up on it and stuff.. otherwise the guy wouldn't have passed med school.

This also applies to

Male and female doctors for the opposite sex
Being diagnosed by someone that doesn't have AS

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2007, 12:10 pm

I prefer a male gyn. because all the female doctors are rough and hurt during the exam. One lady had long nails and she couldn't get the speculum in and she scratched me all up with her nails. The male docs never have trouble with the speculum and if they do they apologize about it.

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2007, 1:10 pm

bizarre wrote:
I prefer a male gyn. because all the female doctors are rough and hurt during the exam. One lady had long nails and she couldn't get the speculum in and she scratched me all up with her nails. The male docs never have trouble with the speculum and if they do they apologize about it.

Ouch. I'll have to remember you said this, should I ever need a prostate exam, 20-30 years from now.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2007, 1:11 pm

bizarre wrote:

Weren't they wearing gloves? 8O

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2007, 2:24 pm

Yeah but i could still feel her nails thru the gloves.