Facebook Page to Show People Who Autistic People Really Are.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2013, 10:27 pm

I made a Facebook page called "I Have Autism". It is for people on the autism spectrum to post about themselves and their lives so other people can see that we are basically just like them. I would appreciate it if all of you would "Like" it and post about yourself. At least "Like" it if you are uncomfortable with posting about yourself. Thank you.

I Have Autism

Last edited by DrHouseHasAspergers on 05 Jan 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm

<--- Not ready for his close-up.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 7:23 am

Look out for haters - but a great idea!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 12:30 am

I probably shouldn't post there, since I am not basically 'just like them'. There would be no reason for any of us to consider ourselves to have autism if we were just like them so I don't really get it.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I probably shouldn't post there, since I am not basically 'just like them'. There would be no reason for any of us to consider ourselves to have autism if we were just like them so I don't really get it.
I'm not sure if I get your point, if you have 14k posts on this site, how could you not see the benefit of identifying as autistic. :scratch:

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

Just because you identify as autistic, doesn't necessarily imply you see a bloody good thing about it.

More an inability to deny the facts in favor of a rosier picture.

The only benefit I can see is understanding what my mind is and how it works (or doesn't).

While that's useful information, there's a LOT of bad stuff I don't quite see it counterbalancing.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Just because you identify as autistic, doesn't necessarily imply you see a bloody good thing about it.

More an inability to deny the facts in favor of a rosier picture.

The only benefit I can see is understanding what my mind is and how it works (or doesn't).

While that's useful information, there's a LOT of bad stuff I don't quite see it counterbalancing.
Whether or not you see a good thing about it, you'd rationally have to assume that getting recognition for the group as a whole would be beneficial.

Again I ask why you are here if you disagree with this. :?

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2013, 12:59 pm

In the aftermath of the school shooting in Connecticut by Adam Lanza, a young man with Asperger's, I thought we needed a way to show people that we are not violent psychopaths who are going to go on a shooting rampage. So perhaps my word choice was not entirely clear. I know that we are not "just like them", but we are more like them than we are like Adam Lanza. That was what I was trying to say without pointing out the specific reason for the page because we need more positive recognition in general.