Is it too late for me to play football?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 10:54 am

I'm 16 years old (8/18/1996) in the 11th grade
My school's football season started with the summer workouts back in the end of June.
I have Asperger's syndrome and I didn't really have all the interactions with everyone down. It was SO hard getting a partner, and most everyone thought I was a freshman (most of the freshmen just hung out with each other). Its funny because I could bench 70 pounds practically untrained for a set.
I could squat 85 the same way, clean 65 too. Most of the freshmen (I watched) couldn't bench maybe 50, squat a little higher, clean JUST the bar lol. I was moderately fast too, though it wasn't natural, it really beat the sh!t out of me, the training.
The really good sophomores had me beat me by a decent margins.
our top 30 guys list is herehttp://salemrocksfootball.com/Weight_Roo
I told my coach I was a sophomore btw, so I practiced with teh JV guys, who all thought I skipped a grade lol.
anyways, I'm Muslim, so I left for Ramadan between end of July and August. when i came back everyone had all their equipment, and i didn't have anything. They said I had to watch a couple of days, then some more for the helmet. between the student-managers and coaches' reluctance to interact and my own, it took me 8 weeks! 8 f*****g WEEKS MAN!!

Then obviously I couldn't do anything more though I'd been going on and off to the practices(I kept losing and regaining hope that they'd get me my equpiment) and most of the games.
anyways, the point of all this bull$h!t is that I know I've been and will be maturing a lot, emotionally and physically, and if I work my @ss off for the next few months I can go back and kick everybody else's @ss,which is really all I want to do lol.
I squat 145 for a set, and do the same with 95 on bench, though I haven't been training too hard.
but does it really mean anything? It'll be my senior year.

Like who really makes anything of themselves in one freaking year!

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:17 am

Switch to like a 5x5 program for your weights. You have the opposite problem I have/had. I like to just go to the gym and lift some heavy singles and go home. That'd be my ideal workout. You seem to wanna do like 15 rep sets of everything. So you gotta go to the happy medium and do a 5x5 type workout. If you want more volume, try Sheiko #29 powerlifting routine. One good routine in your case is Bill Starr's "The Strongest Shall Survive" it's written specifically for football.

Anyway, no, it's not too old to play football. It's not like gymnastics, figure skating, or ballet or something, where most people who are good at it are really young and light. Didn't Bret Favre play until he was like 40? Football you're gonna get even better as you get bigger and older. So if you genuinely enjoy playing football, then keep at it. Things will only go up, you'll hit some growth spurts and get bigger and stronger. So yeah, if you genuinely like football, then keep at it. I tried Pop Warner as a kid and just totally HATED it, though. After actually being in football practice I totally hated it. So if you're doing football because you actually like it, then keep at it, if you're doing it just to be "cool" or whatever, don't, find a sport you'll actually enjoy investing yourself into.

In the mean time, it's winter, so you should concentrate on the weights a lot, then when summer comes, concentrate on the running and whatnot. It's cold out and hard to go running and whatnot right now. Do an actual routine of some kind and try to stick to it.

EDIT:
Ah, you're 16 and a senior? Gifted or something? Yeah I don't know, you might be f****d then if it's your last year. Even if YOU got really powerful, it still doesn't necessarily translate into ability to play football. It's tough, high school sports. Since so much is like, on the line, so to speak. College scholarships and whatnot. Now that I'm old, I can play what I want, as I know likely not much will come of it (Though we can dream) and once you're older, you can make longer term plans for sports (ie, you think in YEARS, not in months.) Also, you do actually get smarter and tend to listen to people more. So when you're older, you can use smarts to make up for lack of athletic ability sorta.

But hey, give it a try. Worst that happens is you play JV football and then you can go to powerlifting meets or something when you get out of HS if you train well enough.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

no,im a junior right now, but come next season, Imma be a senior.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

Do you just want to play in HS? If so, then go for it. I knew people at my HS that joined football senior year and got to play a bit. Before that they were basketball players, soccer players, or hadn't even played sports at all. Like Knives said, at worst you'll still get to play JV. If you enjoy playing football, make the most of this one season.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

ProbablyNotNormal wrote:
Do you just want to play in HS? If so, then go for it. I knew people at my HS that joined football senior year and got to play a bit. Before that they were basketball players, soccer players, or hadn't even played sports at all. Like Knives said, at worst you'll still get to play JV. If you enjoy playing football, make the most of this one season.

f**k, that's embarrassing. JVFL,eh?

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2013, 12:46 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
ProbablyNotNormal wrote:

Not really. Some people on the JV team at my school were so-called popular people. Also, it depends on how good your school's program is and how much work you put into it. In my county you could walk onto to pretty much any varsity football team without much trouble because the area schools just didn't have good football programs.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 10:41 am

ProbablyNotNormal wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
ProbablyNotNormal wrote:

Not really. Some people on the JV team at my school were so-called popular people. Also, it depends on how good your school's program is and how much work you put into it. In my county you could walk onto to pretty much any varsity football team without much trouble because the area schools just didn't have good football programs.

It's not about popular or not, it's the fact that if you're an upperclassman, it's just kind of an expectation to be on varsity.
freshman team is for freshmen
JV- sophomores
Varsity-junior/senior+teh really good underclassmen

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 11:51 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
ProbablyNotNormal wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
ProbablyNotNormal wrote:

It's not about popular or not, it's the fact that if you're an upperclassman, it's just kind of an expectation to be on varsity.
freshman team is for freshmen
JV- sophomores
Varsity-junior/senior+teh really good underclassmen
Spring practice must be starting soon, right? Give it a shot. If you don't reach your goal of varsity you don't have to play in the fall, but you may as well try since you enjoy playing.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

What position were you hoping to play? Position specific drills and weight training could help you stay away from being stuck on JV for a long time. You may have to start on JV to learn the basics of the playbook and stuff like that, but if you're good enough they'll move you up. Even though I happen to have been born a female, I know a lot about football and training. I helped my husband (then boyfriend) prep for tryouts, college camp etc. He was a wide receiver. He didn't go pro, but he was on that track 'till he got injured. :(

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 8:55 am

Their are officials in the muslim faith who have allowed followers who play sports to make up Ramadan. Could you do that?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 2:30 pm

thewrll wrote:
Their are officials in the muslim faith who have allowed followers who play sports to make up Ramadan. Could you do that?

It depends on what officials he follows. As I understand it, Sunnism is like Protestantism where it's all decentralized, he'd be up to his local imam (unless he's Wahabi which I doubt.) But in his case, he might not have a full time imam, one of the biggest mosques here doesn't even have fulltime imams, just random people who come to preach.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 10:58 am

1000Knives wrote:
thewrll wrote:

It depends on what officials he follows. As I understand it, Sunnism is like Protestantism where it's all decentralized, he'd be up to his local imam (unless he's Wahabi which I doubt.) But in his case, he might not have a full time imam, one of the biggest mosques here doesn't even have fulltime imams, just random people who come to preach.

nd how do you all this just curious?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 11:34 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
thewrll wrote:

Muslim friends would invite me to go to mosque (I even went to an Amadiyya Muslim mosque, too,) I used to go a lot cuz I was curious I guess. Also did lots of research on Islam and still own a Koran and stuff. I'm not Muslim, though. Orthodox Christian here.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 9:23 am

1000Knives wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
thewrll wrote:

Muslim friends would invite me to go to mosque (I even went to an Amadiyya Muslim mosque, too,) I used to go a lot cuz I was curious I guess. Also did lots of research on Islam and still own a Koran and stuff. I'm not Muslim, though. Orthodox Christian here.

I'm tempted to start an argument, but I have mad respect for anyone who thinks about religion deeply and can talk about religion intelligently.