Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 5:09 pm

Felt bored and impatient.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

My feelings are mixed, partly indignant, partly touched and warmed, partly annoyed. Since you don't want me to say why, I feel a bit miffed about that as well. It restored some of my faith in people as compassionate towards strangers. That was the best thing about it. But I feel sorry for the customers in the restaurant who weren't in on it. That angered me.

Last edited by BlueAbyss on 11 Jan 2013, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jan 2013, 5:26 pm

I have to say, that Rascal77s has me intrigued about this thread.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

Haven't watched the video yet; I'm almost out of internet for the month and I'm reluctant to watch something that looks like it's designed to manipulate people's feelings.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 6:26 pm

So glad there are others that find these kind of shows absurd and abstruse.

So Rascal77 is there a point to this thread, and if so will you enlighten us.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2013, 7:24 pm

hyksos55 wrote:
So Rascal77 is there a point to this thread, and if so will you enlighten us.
This. Please. I'm very curious as to why you wanted us to share our feelings without explaining them.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 7:33 pm

Mostly I wanted to see if you guys would be able to explain what you feel. I had a strong reaction to the end of the video but I can't explain what I felt or identify it as any particular emotion.

I anticipated that people would feel little for the actors because they knew it was acting. I wanted to know whether you guys would recognize when the 'adopting mother' switched from acting to real emotion.

I was surprised by the answers of 'nothing' and negative feelings. Maybe it would have been different if it were unknown that some of these people are actors.

There have been several threads talking about emotional empathy being intact in ASD and I thought that the, last segment begining around 7:00, would trigger more reactions. I'm thinking that a lot of people didn't recognize that the actress was really crying like a baby by the time the producer came out and that affected the responses.

One of the most interesting moments in that video is at 7:57 when the actress Tracy is still holding Alice's hand and Alice has her arm wrapped around Tracy. They both know it was an act but Alice still needs to protect Tracy, and Tracy needs the comfort of Alice. These women are complete strangers. I think this ability to form an instant bond and find comfort in a stranger is amazing. I can recognize it in other people but for some reason I'm unable to form a bond like that. I really wish I could experience it just once.

Last, I wanted to see how your answers would compare with the video comments. I will let you guys draw your own conclusions. Thanks for the posts everyone.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jan 2013, 8:16 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
There have been several threads talking about emotional empathy being intact in ASD and I thought that the, last segment begining around 7:00, would trigger more reactions. I'm thinking that a lot of people didn't recognize that the actress was really crying like a baby by the time the producer came out and that affected the responses.

I didn't realize she was still crying, and the crying I was aware of I assumed was an act. This is likely why I missed it until you pointed it out. But I still don't know why she was still in tears.

In real life, when someone is in tears, I have to notice. Then I have to stop and work out whether they need emotional support. And then I need to work out how to offer that emotional support if I think that I should (I tend to do so with family members). It's a bit more work than I am always able to go through so I find it pretty easy to miss the fact that someone is having an emotional moment.

Sometimes when I am aware, it becomes very overwhelming and difficult for me because I don't know how to respond and I may not be able to get away quickly.

Quote:
One of the most interesting moments in that video is at 7:57 when the actress Tracy is still holding Alice's hand and Alice has her arm wrapped around Tracy. They both know it was an act but Alice still needs to protect Tracy, and Tracy needs the comfort of Alice. These women are complete strangers. I think this ability to form an instant bond and find comfort in a stranger is amazing. I can recognize it in other people but for some reason I'm unable to form a bond like that. I really wish I could experience it just once.

I didn't even notice this.

Quote:
Last, I wanted to see how your answers would compare with the video comments. I will let you guys draw your own conclusions. Thanks for the posts everyone.

Guess it's time to look. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 8:36 pm

The comments are actually of a much higher tone and caliber than is typical of Youtube. A lot of positive commentary about all kinds of things I missed about the video. :D

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:09 pm

Verdandi wrote:
The comments are actually of a much higher tone and caliber than is typical of Youtube. A lot of positive commentary about all kinds of things I missed about the video. :D

Yeah this video obviously makes the average person feel very good. You can also hear the other patrons in the restaurant applauding when the producer comes out, they felt good too. I think the most common NT reaction to this scene is 'feel good'.

Last edited by Rascal77s on 11 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:26 pm

Magnanimous wrote:
Not a great deal.
I was irritated at how utterly contrived it was and how insufferably dramatic they were all being. Also irritated at the subject matter, as the last thing the world needs is more humans.
The whole thing was just a big, unnecessary disruption.

Then at about 7 minutes it went from minor irritation to outright disgust. At the point that hag started praying, my lips peeled back and I was growling at the screen.
Unleashing religion at a stranger is absolutely unacceptable and intolerable.

I'm not too confrontational in person, so I probably would have just left with some hushed quip about escaping the insane asylum at that point... but still... that was disgusting.

Magnanimous really :D ! You're at it again, and you're still cracking me up. You're just so blatant, and unapologetically dry. It's actually the hallmarks of an excellent (if quirky) sense of humour (that you may not even realise yourself :lol:)

Poor lady, not a hag at all, what an amazing person she was. She was just doing something out of the goodness of her heart, without any preconceived barriers about race, class, money, just human being to human being. There was something so spiritual about that part. I'm not religious, but she did what she believed in and wanted to offer it to another human soul in distress to make her feel better. I actually hadn't noticed the actress crying for real either. Perhaps she felt the spirituality and warmth of the situation herself.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:30 pm

Verdandi wrote:
But I still don't know why she was still in tears.

I'll tell you my opinion. I think the act became so real to Tracy because she was feeding off the emotion of the two women who were trying to comfort her. She had found a connection between herself and the character she was playing. Her emotion went from distress to comfort quickly and the tears are a manifestation of her emotional relief. The fact that it was all an act didn't matter because that social bond trumps reality. Neither one of them wanted to give up that feeling even after the truth was revealed. Empathy at work.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:37 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
But I still don't know why she was still in tears.

I'll tell you my opinion. I think the act became so real to Tracy because she was feeding off the emotion of the two women who were trying to comfort her. She had found a connection between herself and the character she was playing. Her emotion went from distress to comfort quickly and the tears are a manifestation of her emotional relief. The fact that it was all an act didn't matter because that social bond trumps reality. Neither one of them wanted to give up that feeling even after the truth was revealed. Empathy at work.

That's a really interesting take. Makes me think, too.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:49 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Have you ever just read comments on videos to try to learn what 'normal' views/reactions are supposed to be for those given situations? You can learn a lot from the comments on YT. People say things that don't make sense sometimes but it's an insight into how their brains works. I'm not talking about people who post crazy s**t, I mean the rational posts.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:53 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Have you ever just read comments on videos to try to learn what 'normal' views/reactions are supposed to be for those given situations? You can learn a lot from the comments on YT. People say things that don't make sense sometimes but it's an insight into how their brains works. I'm not talking about people who post crazy sh**, I mean the rational posts.

A couple of times, but never as a systematic thing. I have read comments on articles as well, and found that other people would have more intense reactions than I did, as well as people reacting more intensely to the comments' content.

unsortable
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2013, 9:59 pm

1:18 really annoyed (at the couple)
4:57 exasperated (with the tie-dye lady)
7:02 disgusted (I'm an atheist...)