Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

I'd like to ask how you cope with having to do several things at a certain time, or deciding what to do out of multiple tasks to be carried out. Both are a cause of much turmoil for me and it's a mystery how I pull through sometimes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 11:56 pm

i simply cannot multitask. ever. my aspie associates at our square pegs aspie meetups can vouch for that. i don't seem to have one of them newfangled multicore processors in me noggin. :duh:

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:20 am

I'm not that good at multitasking either. I work best in sequences and routines, so I try to accomplish one task per time.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
i simply cannot multitask. ever. my aspie associates at our square pegs aspie meetups can vouch for that. i don't seem to have one of them newfangled multicore processors in me noggin. :duh:

This rather is from a lack of RAM. (Or working memory.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:54 am

why didn't god give me more RAM?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:58 am

I'm not that good at multitasking. Also, if there's too much going on around me at once I shut down/panic. I'm definitely not good at deciding what to do if there are multiple things I have to do. That's one of the reasons why my studies aren't going too well. Nowadays I get a mentor who helps me to decide and plan what to do when (when it comes to studies that is).

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
why didn't god give me more RAM?

Well, my guess is your mainboard doesn't have any more free slots, they're all filled up and the RAM you have is old, I assume that would be just about the same problem I have. I suggest to seek up the next God hardware store and complain about having too few RAM.

My guess is we also have an old OS, that would explain the preferences for old software of many of us (apparently some seem to run alternative OS that can handle some or most new software though). Usually, I can't really handle all this new software, I think it's too demanding and uncomfortable. It often uses lots of RAM too, but it's still somewhat tolerable.

I went to the next God store and complained anonymously, but then again, I was redirected to the manufacturer himself who built me but he seems pretty busy and I have no idea how to get there, doesn't seem to be in this dimension or something.
The only thing that you can hope for is new updates for your OS or a change of software that can run on older OS' too. The latter one is more likely and I do not suggest overclocking your RAM in any way, even if this might allow multitasking, this can be a (big) risk to your hardware of course and not worth the consequences and side-effects just for multitasking.

On the other hand, we might have just about the same amount of RAM as the others, but just run too many processes in the background. However, it seems that at least my task manager is bugged because I cannot terminate those tasks.

Translation:
Yes, I have that problem too.

I can do it to a certain point, but seeing others multitask, it's nowhere near as good. I wonder though if under influence of (for example) alcohol one can be able to multitask better (seeing as some here have also been able to socialize better when under influence of alcohol in another thread). Of course this is not worth the consequences in my opinion (headache and killing your brain cells by consuming lots of it? No, thanks).

On the other hand, it could be that our brains are just in use all the time. In a thread I once read that many here are constantly thinking and can't really do anything against it, it seems to be the way they roll. Well, I'm thinking quite a lot too. Eventually this nature of us makes us unable to do so because we are already multitasking in a certain manner, just not physical multitasking (like cooking, phoning and such) but mental multitasking (thinking, planning, filtering, structuring). :roll:

And yes, I had fun typing that post. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:49 am

Sylvastor wrote:
And yes, I had fun typing that post.

[it] beats the snot out of my "nosehairs" :oops:

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 5:04 am

Well, I'm online while doing my religion work at the same time. i try, but in the end, it really is hard.

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2013, 6:45 am

I prefer to concentrate on one task at a time, and do it well, rather than try to multi-task and not get anything done.

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2013, 7:54 am

I absolutely suck at it. I walk alot and I honestly can't walk, chew and think at the same time. If I'm eating while walking I stop thinking until I swallow the food in my mouth.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

I want more ram as well. I also find I get even worse at multitasking when tired.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2013, 11:37 am

I can multi-task to a certain extent, but only as far as one function is required. Translation: I can play warcraft and watch TV, or I can crochet and read or sew and listen to music. But I can't watch TV and read because my brain has to be engaged in both. I can't crochet and play warcraft because they both require my hands full attention. Does that make sense?

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

No multi tasking for me. I can never understand how people can text and do other things at the same time 8O especially in cars agh.
Multitasking around humans who are talking is impossible. Especially if crosstalk is going on with them.

Aviator
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

Pretty much nobody is really 'GOOD' at multitasking. It's actually a myth that multitasking increases productivity. Humans are absolutely not made to multitask.
What we call "multitasking" is just rapidly switching attention, which we're usually slower at.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

I have a noted disability in multi-tasking.