Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

I have a noted disability in multi-tasking.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

InnaLucia wrote:
I prefer to concentrate on one task at a time, and do it well, rather than try to multi-task and not get anything done.

i do prefer to not multitask too.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:56 pm

I have an enormous problem with multitasking. I must finish one thing before starting another. Well, it´s usually like that. Not always.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:43 am

Aviator wrote:
Pretty much nobody is really 'GOOD' at multitasking. It's actually a myth that multitasking increases productivity. Humans are absolutely not made to multitask. What we call "multitasking" is just rapidly switching attention, which we're usually slower at.

for not being able to "multitask" they [ones who appear to multitask fluently] sure do put on a convincing demonstration of multitasking. just look at a musician playing the wurlitzer organ or drum set, that is not sequentially switching attention but true simultaneous multitasking in spades, for each hand has to know what it is doing and what the other hands/feet are doing at the very same time, coordinating among all parties in real time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:44 am

when i try to multitask i usually get into accidents or mess the whole thing up. when i even think about anything else while i'm eating/chewing food, i usually bite the hell out of my cheeks. OUCH!

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:32 am

I've gotten better over the years, but multitasking is still very difficult. There is a lot involved where I work, and it' s just mentally exhausting. I get worried about making some glaring ommission and have to go over and over the steps in my head. Routine definitely is a huge help to make it through the day.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 10:22 am

I can only multi task if they are my special interests. If something I'm doing is very difficult, then I lose any multitasking ability I have.
If the things I am doing are all around my special interests then I can use the multi channel brain I have. It also cannot be around people, or rather ordinary people. So, for most of the time, No.

Kaede
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2013, 1:48 pm

My ex used to say that I was rubbish at multi-tasking but I can't remember any of the examples she used to give. I have no idea how people can walk and text at the same time. I have to stop and lean against something in order to text. Even walking and talking simultaneously is difficult sometimes.
Actually, I can watch TV and go online at the same time but I'm not sure if that counts as neither are particularly strenuous tasks. I can crochet while watching TV but I'm pretty much ignoring whatever is on screen, so while it might look like I am multi-tasking, I'm not.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 4:58 pm

I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers.

According to the Psychologist, my inability to multi-task is a result of my difficulties with working memory – particularly with complex memory.

The final assessment indicated that my working memory (which is used to follow multi-step instructions and directions) was my lowest area of performance. Furthermore, I required more time to reason through information in an unstructured, novel situation.

I found an interesting article, entitled “Autism as a Disorder of Complex Information Processing”.

The author (in another paper) , identifies the core cognitive weaknesses found in High Functioning Autism. These include:
• Complex Sensory
• Complex Motor
• Complex Memory
• Complex Language
• Concept-formation
• Face Recognition

Ultimately, these weaknesses impact a lot of things – Executive Functioning, Multi-Tasking, Abstract Thinking.

It is quite interesting/fascinating how our brain wiring works. I certainly am planning to learn more about it.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

I wish I had an answer to this. I cannot mutlitask, period. The worst thing ever is if I am engrossed in something and someone else is trying to talk to me, I will tune them out and only hear a word or two...even after I switch my focus to the other person, it is still hard.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

I cannot multitask.
Often I cannot even singletask.
Except for dissolving into patterns I see on the wallpaper or elsewhere I see them.
I don't know if that is called a "task".

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

SDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2013, 2:36 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
No multi tasking for me. I can never understand how people can text and do other things at the same time 8O especially in cars agh.
Multitasking around humans who are talking is impossible. Especially if crosstalk is going on with them.

I'm exactly the same. Useless at texting at best of times. If there is a lot of noise/talking then I crumble.

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2013, 5:37 pm

I think I'm alright at multitasking with certain things.
I have learnt to play the drum kit, and although it took me longer than most, I have learnt to set off my arms and feet to do different things. However, I have to plan out what I'm doing first, and fall into a pattern. Improvisation is incredibly difficult.
Using time efficiently is also important, so I try and time things well by doing several different tasks. For example, in the morning while I wait for the kettle to boil I get out my mug and also get my porridge ready. While I microwave the porridge I prepare my sandwiches. Once my porridge is done, I finish making my tea whilst waiting for it to cool. So no time is wasted.

My problems come more from prioritising, so although I like to do several projects at once, I become disorganised and am unable to finish things on time. Trying to read and watch television is impossible! And cross-conversations are confusing too. I have to concentrate on conversations or else I lose my train of thought.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 6:11 pm

^^^
you're doing damned well to play the traps :wtg: I wish I could say the same for myself. :oops:

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 9:28 pm

It's very hard. My usual approach is to create a list of the things that I need to do and carry them out sequentially, one by one. If I just have all of the things floating in my head with no order or structure, I can't complete any of it, at all. So I make a list.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 9:30 pm

Eloa wrote:
I cannot multitask. Often I cannot even singletask.

I am beginning to realize that “socializing” (ugh, that mere thought of that word sends shivers up my spine) may be the ultimate in multi-tasking.

Think about it. You need to listen to what someone is saying and how they are saying it (i.e. tone). You need to look at them, watching their facial expressions and body language.

You then need to put all of this together, to interpret the message (and supposedly, figure out the emotion that other individual is feeling at that moment in time). It is extra complex, because the content of what was said, the tone for how it was said and the facial expression and body language could conflict. In that case, you need to figure out what the intent of the message is.

If you are with a group of people, this effort becomes multiplicative, because others could have changes in their facial expressions and body language as they listen to what is being said.

Then, you need to put all of this together and then figure out whether and how to respond. And, when responding, somehow your tone, facial expressions and body language should have a “purpose”. All in a split second.

Nope. I cannot multi-task. I don’t even try.