Hate crime statistics deflate "Islamophobia" myth

Page 7 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

Tequila wrote:
These countries are independent states. They can't keep blaming Britain when they've had independence for over 60 years, most of them.

I believe that trade, not aid, is the way forward for these countries. Let them sell their stuff on the open market here in the UK and in other countries.

my point is, in that 60 years we (I say 'we', I really mean the British establishment) left without really 'tidying up' after ourselves. It was more a case of, "oh you want independence now, seeya!". Considering the way that the British empire plundered the region, there still an unpaid tab to be settled. These places, particularly commonwealth members are still the UK's reponsibility for that reason.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

thomas81 wrote:
my point is, in that 60 years we (I say 'we', I really mean the British establishment) left without really 'tidying up' after ourselves. It was more a case of, "oh you want independence now, seeya!".

We could have been like the Portuguese and brutally put down independentist rebellions. Whenever you visit Portugal, there are prominent statues in many towns and cities dedicated to those soldiers who died fighting to keep Portuguese colonies from becoming independent.

Compared to some of those countries, we have nothing to be ashamed of.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 7:02 pm

Telekon wrote:
You probably don't mind them on an individual level but you would mind them if you lived in one of their neighborhoods.

I am absolutely sure I would. As I keep saying, mass Muslim immigration into this country was a horrendous mistake. Immigration from Eastern European countries is a mistake but will not cause us lasting damage as we're not that culturally and religiously different and they will integrate in time. I'm currently spending my time watching the Anthology of Polish Children's Animation, a three-disc set that I picked up dirt-cheap from Poland. Some of the shorts in it are extremely entertaining in their own right and I'm sure my three-year-old niece would like them as much as I do.

"Multiculturalism" has been a massive failure. The basic idea of multiculturalism is great on paper (and I've been to places where it's nearer what is meant on paper and it's good craic), but in practice it usually means that people have to focus on Islam and in reality it means segregation, division, excusing bigoted customs (1,000 women and girls are genitally mutilated every year in this country and how many prosecutions have there been?) and constant demands for special treatment and frequent mock-offence at many incidents in British life - all three of which have been encouraged by various governments.

Can we get my own personal Muslim hero Anjem Choudary on TV? People will learn more about the fundamentalists from him than by listening to any "interfaith" group or BBC documentary on Islam.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
my point is, in that 60 years we (I say 'we', I really mean the British establishment) left without really 'tidying up' after ourselves. It was more a case of, "oh you want independence now, seeya!".

We could have been like the Portuguese and brutally put down independentist rebellions. Whenever you visit Portugal, there are prominent statues in many towns and cities dedicated to those soldiers who died fighting to keep Portuguese colonies from becoming independent.

Compared to some of those countries, we have nothing to be ashamed of.

bit of a weak get out clause, "at least we werent as bad as the Portuguese therefore we should do no more".

If the UK did more, maybe the right wing little england brigade wouldnt be so petty when they whine about economic immigration.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

thomas81 wrote:
bit of a weak get out clause, "at least we werent as bad as the Portuguese therefore we should do no more".

If the UK did more, maybe the right wing little england brigade wouldnt be so petty when they whine about economic immigration.

Perhaps we should be like the garlic-munchers? Continually intervening and still having an input in 'former' colonies?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Perhaps we should be like the garlic-munchers? Continually intervening and still having an input in 'former' colonies?

You slander them, but at least the French had the sense to keep their tongues out of George Bush's arse crack by not following him into the second gulf war.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

thomas81 wrote:
You slander them, but at least the French had the sense to keep their tongues out of George Bush's arse crack by not following him into the second gulf war.

Hey, piss off, I like garlic. Clock right twice per day and all that. ;)

I'm sure le froggies will slag off us roast beefs for something in the future. Probably for being Anglophile and not "European" enough.