Could Asperger's be considered the opposite of Dyslexia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

The thoughtline here is that while aspies tend to be great at academic levels/taking in information but bad at social skills, dyslexics seem to have the exact opposite of these characteristics. Also out of all the aspie crossovers on here (e.g. aspie schizophrenics, aspie tourettes ect.) aspie dyslexics seem to be by far the rarest, despite dyslexicia being the most common psychological condition of all. Could it be that dyslexics are in fact at the opposite end of the autistic spectrum, before NTs?

The causes of these condictions are probably radically different from each other and I actually seriously doubt there is any such connection, but it's something to think about at least.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 1:55 pm

Isn't the opposite of Dyslexia Hyperlexia?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 1:59 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Isn't the opposite of Dyslexia Hyperlexia?
As close as there can be an opposite to dyslexia, yes.

Dyslexic people usually have no problem with comprehension and reading-between-the-lines, but have issues with decoding the words themselves. Hyperlexic people on the other hand are usually early readers, but their comprehension ability lags way behind their decoding ability, and they might have trouble with creative writing or comprehension of figurative language.

Autistic people could be either dyslexic or hyperlexic. I think we have an increased chance of hyperlexia, though.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

djdaza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2013, 1:59 pm

well i have dyslexia as well.

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm

If I understand correctly what you mean by "opposite", then no, because people with asperger's can also have dyslexia.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 2:48 pm

I was dx with dyslexia as a child and later on with HFA.

I like to read and learn languages. That's also possible with dyslexia. I also study at university.
Many ppl in my family have or had dyslexia.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2013, 9:49 am

I was (mis)diagnosed with dyslexia as a child. This was the early 80s in a small, mediocre school district and dyslexia was pretty much the only learning disability anyone had heard of. Teachers and the school psychologist thought I was dyslexic because I had a very difficult time learning to write, I reversed letters, I had problems with spatial perception, I was generally uncoordinated and couldn't catch a ball, and I had problems with arithmetic.
I don't think any of those traits would be used to diagnose dyslexia today. They would, however, be used to diagnose NLD, for which I do not have a formal diagnosis but a psychologist who evaluated me said I probably do have.
And, strangely enough, I probably have more of the characteristics of hyperlexia: I was reading full-length novels by age 6 and read at a 12th grade reading level by 5th grade, and always did well with spelling, grammar, and foreign languages.