Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

My 4 year old son likes to get under the mattress of the futon we use as a couch when he gets sleepy. I've heard of weighted blankets here and I wonder if he'd like one.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 1:44 pm

DS loves his weighted blanket. I know people have posted here about making your own but if you are going to buy one, I'll put in a plug for a place near me that makes them:
http://www.weightedblanket.net/

Awesome folks to work with and a quality product!

JustKeepSwimming
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2013, 4:42 pm

A friend of mine also used the weighted blanket for her son to use after he had a meltdown, it would help calm him. So they can be a great tool too. :wink:

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

I havent got one for my DD5 yet but I think she would like one. They are quite expensive so I am thinking of making one! There are videos on you tube to show you how and lists of all the stuff you would need which is fairly inexpensive. Also you can really personalise it and he could choose the fabric.

By the sound of it a weighted blanket would be a lot easier to climb under than a mattress so I bet he would love one :)

spinningpixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2013, 2:13 pm

i'm an aspie parent. just wanted to quickly say that i love my weighted blanket. i didn't get one until i was an adult. i really wish i had had this as a child. it's hard to explain but it makes me feel more together...grounded...less like i'm flying apart. i made mine. it took a while (probably because i had to have all seams exact) but it was well worth it.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

you can sometimes get your insurance to pay for them as a medical device

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

I made a small one for my daughter, it doesn't need to be big.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm

I sometimes pile clothes on top of my blankets and bed and it feels good I wonder if I would like one.

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:38 am

I wonder if my son would like one. He is very into being snuggled and having body contact and sitting on people, etc...I wonder if the weighted planket woudl give him a similar feeling?

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

I've also seen weighted lap pads. This might be a good route to try whether you are going to buy or make one yourself. A little less of an investment either way if you are unsure of whether or not your child will like it.

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

Bombaloo wrote:
I've also seen weighted lap pads. This might be a good route to try whether you are going to buy or make one yourself. A little less of an investment either way if you are unsure of whether or not your child will like it.

And little shoulder wraps, could be a good way to start to see if he likes it! I have a neck warmer from when I had whiplash, its full of wheat and you put it in the microwave, so its shaped to go over the shoulders and around the back of the neck and is quite heavy. Wonder if that would be a cheap alternative? Mine also has lavendar in it and Ive seen cute animal shaped ones for kids :)

Heres some pics of what I mean:

Image search

lmevans
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2013, 7:43 pm

I think my daughter would love this, she loves to sleep with heavy blankets and pillows over her. Has anyone had any success getting insurance to pay for one?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:58 pm

My son's OT lent us one, and my son didn't like it! He was bothered by the texture of the fabric it was covered in and the granular quality of the filling.

Because of that, I recommend that, if at all possible you try before you buy or make your own as a trial.

notinabox43

17 Jan 2013, 9:21 pm

As an aspie myself I've recently acquired a weighted blanket. Boy, what a difference! It takes away all my wired ness. When my body is overstimulated, I sit with it on my lap or lie down, and it totally calms me down.

I've tried it on my sons who are both borderline aspie, and they don't like it.

But mind sigh, if your son is craving weight already he may take to it. He might also be looking for a quiet unstimulating place to fall asleep. Have you tried a fitted sheet over the sofa back, where he crawls inside? My son loves this quiet zone, and it has helped calm his meltdown in the past.

All the best.

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2013, 9:51 am

I wonder if there is a 'library' to borrow them from? A lot of mums I know use baby slings and theres a facility to borrow those and try them out before buying them. I also am unsure if my daughter would like it so hesitate to buy one.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

Sometimes your local Lekotek Center has items for loan for special needs kids. They tend to focus on physical disabilities and on toys, but you never know.