Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

Sometimes your local Lekotek Center has items for loan for special needs kids. They tend to focus on physical disabilities and on toys, but you never know.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:58 pm

The OT at my son's school has a couple of weighted lap pads that he has tried also our private OT let us try out a weighted vest. DS wore the borrowed one OK so I purchased one for him but he only wore it a few times. There went $60 down the drain. It is good to be able to try something out before you buy!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm

I've never seen one and didn't even know what one was until I joined here. However, several years ago I saw a beautiful tapestry bedspread at a consignment shop and bought it. It's gold and jewel tones on the top but it's also like a comforter and is stuffed with some kind of pretty heavy feathers and the underside is really thick cotton or something. Anyway, it's very big and very heavy and I fell in love with it the first night I slept under it. I've always liked a blanket over me even in summer because of the weight but I had never had something heavy like this until then. Now I just cannot sleep as well without it. I love it!

I don't know what an actual weighted blanket feels like but you could probably get a similar effect in the bed by piling on a lot of quilts.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 8:00 pm

ConfusedNewb wrote:
I wonder if there is a 'library' to borrow them from? A lot of mums I know use baby slings and theres a facility to borrow those and try them out before buying them. I also am unsure if my daughter would like it so hesitate to buy one.

My son was attending Occupational Therapy at our local children's hospital, and they had one in a cupboard which they let us borrow to see if he liked it before I bought one. He knew right away that he didn't like it. It might be worth getting in touch with your local OTs to see if your daughter could try one out - even if just a quick try in the waiting room or whatever.

Instead of a weighted blanket my son uses a sleeping bag, a cheap one from a supermarket, with his duvet stuffed inside it. The duvet fills it out, so he gets the squashed, squeezing sensation that he likes.

Another thing I've wondered about, but haven't investigated yet, is the heavy rubber thing that some hairdressers put on your shoulders when you get your hair cut. I don't know if you get them in child sizes though.

MaxShock
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

I sleep in 5 layers of blankets. A normal blanket (bed sheet), a weighted blanket, one of those blankets with knitted holes, a thin blanket, and the comforter.

It's a good life. Especially in the summer :P.

impatient
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2013, 8:45 pm

I did not want to spend a lot of money on the blanket in case my 4 yo son would not like it. We borrowed an old heavy quilt from a family member instead (and are still using it). My son loves it. Instead of tossing for an hour or two before falling asleep, he is usually asleep in 10-15 minutes. On average, he now gets one more hour of sleep as well. He sleeps under a regular comforter with the quilt on top of it.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 8:48 am

Mindsigh wrote:
My 4 year old son likes to get under the mattress of the futon we use as a couch when he gets sleepy. I've heard of weighted blankets here and I wonder if he'd like one.

I used to do that as a kid as well. When I read about weighted blankets on WP I knew I'd love one - and I was right, it's great! I ordered from :arrow: http://www.beanblanket.com/Minky_Weight ... kets2.html and was very happy with both the product and the service, so I can highly recommend them. The prices are competitive, too. You probably have a lot more buying options than I did, because I was after a heavy one and a) not everyone made them that heavy at all; and b) the international shipping costs were a killer.