How do you get your exercise or routine exercise, if any?

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

I go running and cycling but irregularly and without a schedule, I just do it when I feel like it and have the time. Sometimes I just go walking as a form of light exercise and as a de-stressor.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

Don't forget, there are two types of motivation:

Motivation towards something you really like
Motivation away from something you really dislike

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

^^^
i am motivated to get away from ill health, and i am motivated to like the reflection in the mirror. both ways. :)

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
MannyBoo wrote:
walk, walk, walk,,,

upilll is best.

a mountain is even better..

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm

^^^
where i live is very hilly.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
i am motivated to get away from ill health, and i am motivated to like the reflection in the mirror. both ways. :)

My biggest motivation is feeling less stressed, and more energetic. Keeping the random creaking, popping, and aching at bay is always good too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:59 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^

My biggest motivation is feeling less stressed, and more energetic. Keeping the random creaking, popping, and aching at bay is always good too.

i sure wish I could keep the random creaking popping and aching at bay, but all the exercise accomplishes in that regard is keeping 'em from getting worse [so far]. i'm having to get back into shape with a still-healing [8 months out] shattered arm/elbow from a bike/deer accident, that is an extra challenge.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^

i sure wish I could keep the random creaking popping and aching at bay, but all the exercise accomplishes in that regard is keeping 'em from getting worse [so far]. i'm having to get back into shape with a still-healing [8 months out] shattered arm/elbow from a bike/deer accident, that is an extra challenge.

Definitely quite a challenge there. Good for you for not letting it stall you. :) A bout of the flu for a week had me all out of sorts, so I can't imagine how it's been for you...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:16 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Definitely quite a challenge there. Good for you for not letting it stall you. :) A bout of the flu for a week had me all out of sorts, so I can't imagine how it's been for you...

but it did stall me, from august 23 [the accident/hospitalization] until november, when i was able to at least start walking again.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

Damn, the worst I've had is shin splints. If I couldn't use both elbows, I'd just stay in bed.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 1:31 am

I exercise pretty much every other day & working out is something I really enjoy. It is supposed to be a natural way to decrease stress & depression.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 7:25 am

We have a elliptical, treadmill, rowing machine, bike and weight machine in our basement. I like the elliptical. I exercise 3-5 times a week for an hour or hour and half. I also am taking Zumba once a week.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Apr 2013, 8:26 pm

I walk abit with my girlfriend; how often & how much kind of depends on where we need to go but we sometimes go out just to walk. It's usually at least every other day & I would guess & average an hour. My girlfriend has some 5 pound weights that I try to remember to use a couple times a day; I get tired at about 20 reps & don't want to push myself for much more. I sometimes carry heavy things back home from when we go shopping(like packs of soda cans) & that's like a 40 minute walk. I carry bags of laundry to the laundromat about 2x a week & that's maybe a 10 minute walk there &again for back home.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 8:36 pm

Usually I exercise every other day and sometimes may miss two days in a row. Today it was nice out so I walked 30 minutes and jogged 15 minutes. Exercise helps me decrease stress and depression. Sometimes I like to go to a Zumba class or workout with a dance exercise DVD too.

MarkM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

I am an aspie (155/200 and AQ=36), an INtp and a 5 on the enneagram.

I find that I have the most fun when I am playing hockey, and hockey is one of only two sports that I'm decent at. It is a big part of my social circle, as well, which is pretty important for an aspie, I suppose. I used to be mostly surrounded by geeky engineers like myself, but hockey has helped me to move past that to a much more diverse group of friends.

Trouble is, I'm getting too old to just play hockey. My knee and back are both pretty wonky, and I tend to feel much better if I go to Bikram Yoga twice/week. It's brutally difficult to start with, but it has changed my body over time in ways that I didn't know it could. I'm so much more flexible and I have much better body control, as well. It's nice to tie into the body. In difficult poses, I find that I have to remember to breath, and that helps me to become more at peace with this body of mine. I also have to check in with the wonky knee and back and take time to figure out what they need.

Part of the difficulty of getting started with the yoga was my social anxiety. I didn't know what to expect. I was afraid of looking like the out-of-shape person that I was. Ashamed of my body, really. Luckily, my wife dragged me into it, and I can see what a gift it was. I feel much more comfortable in knowing that everyone is doing their own thing in there, even if they are sweating buckets and scantily clad. They are much more concerned with themselves than with me, as they should be.

As a side note, Bikram Yoga is great for those who get all concerned about excessive sweating. Everyone sweats buckets. It's part of the process! I find that I have to consciously give myself permission to sweat in normal day to day living, but I can just let go of that when I'm in a Bikram studio (kept at 105 degrees).

Sweating may be an important part of our body's ability to detox. I'm not sure about that, but I just notice that I feel better when I let myself sweat things out.

On a health note, I often reflect on Byron Katie's point about health. When we focus on health, we tend to focus on the pain and what is "wrong" with our bodies. In fact, there is nothing "wrong" about our bodies. They are all doing exactly what they are meant to do and are pretty amazing contraptions, if you ask me. When I contemplate this, it helps me to remember that there isn't a whole lot to fear in this world. We're all going to die. So what's to fear? And yet I do it anyway, especially in social situations.

All of the Byron Katie stuff aside, I do have my share of health issues, most of which seem to be associated with the trauma of divorce and remarriage. My adrenal function was awful for a while there, my gut was irritable, I got headaches galore. But I slowly rebuilt from that with a very clean elimination diet and a lot of therapy, among other things. So it feels like I'm emerging a bit from my shell. The recent discovery of my aspiness wasn't too much of a shock, really, having known about my fiveness on the enneagram for a while. I appreciate this forum and all of you that post for helping me to put it all in perspective and helping me to know that I'm not alone. Daniel Gilbert, in his book, Stumbling On Happiness, helped me to see that we are all horrible predictors of what will make us happy (aspie and NT alike), but the one thing we can do is to ask people who went before us about their experiences. That does seem to help,. I appreciate all that you all have shared here. It helps to reduce my stress levels and that makes me happy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 6:06 pm

Went for a 10km run with a friend on an evening last week, then went for a ~15km run myself yesterday early eve.. took a few doobie time breaks (you know, to get that runner's high.) and to stretch w/ some roadside yoga. It wasn't fast, not by a long shot, as I still have a lot of work to do to improve my cardio.. but running & yoga have been huge in my regular exercise over the past several months. After I got in I had a good stretch and did a bit of an ab workout and a set of pushups. Slowly but surely I'm going to get in better shape and stay that way. 8) Well, I already am in better shape than I was.. but good shape, very good shape. 8)