Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:09 am

I have AS and I find I talk a lot to people I know. But very little to people I don't.

Do some people with AS display excessive talking to people they know?

I seem to swing from non-stop talking to non-verbal.

I won't talk in group situations but when I'm with just one other person, I will talk a lot if I know them; I will ramble and go off excessively on tangents, is this usual in AS?

I also talk in monotones with no gestures or facial expressions.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 9:15 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
I have AS and I find I talk a lot to people I know. But very little to people I don't.

Do some people with AS display excessive talking to people they know?

I seem to swing from non-stop talking to non-verbal.

I won't talk in group situations but when I'm with just one other person, I will talk a lot if I know them; I will ramble and go off excessively on tangents, is this usual in AS?

I also talk in monotones with no gestures or facial expressions.

Talking in groups vs talking one-on-one... Yes, I find that it's easier tfor me to have a conversation one-on-one, especially when I know the other person, but often also when I don't know them that well. I'm more likely to have a meaningful conversation when it's just me and the other person. When it's 3, 5, or 7 people at one table or something, I will often not know when to 'break in' and say something, or I'll formulate a thought about what I want to say, and then the moment passes. I also find that when I'm talking one-on-one with either someone I know or don't know, it's easier to find a subject of conversation that I'm comfortable with or know something about. When it's a larger, varied group of people, they'll end up talking about things that don't interest me, and I'll be excluded from the conversation that way. But oh yes, I'm also something of a motormouth when I'm talking to someone I really like.

I have kind of a monotonous voice, but I try to inflect so it's not that obvious. I'm not sure about my facial expressions, as I don't see them and I don't care about practicing them in front of a mirror. But no one seems to comment on it. I use gestures plenty.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

I talk non-stop to close relatives like my mum, and I feel I can be myself or even act stupid with most of my family. But, even with friends, I do find I put on a bit of a front in order to conform and be socially accepted.

I don't talk non-stop to friends, especially one of my closest friends. She talks the most, but because we're quite close now, she does 60 percent of the talking and I do 40 percent, which isn't bad. At least there's no such thing as awkward silences when I'm with her.

One of my other friends (who is a bus-driver but I can't get to see her any more because they moved her off the buses I get and replaced her with unfriendly bastards nobody likes), is a very easy person to get on with, and she's so easy to talk and relate to that I find we both do 50 percent of the talking when we're together. I do think she may be Aspie, but I won't go into all that since it will go off topic, but she does fascinate me and it'd be a shame if we never get to see each other again.

The only person I do more of the talking with is close relatives, like I said. But otherwise, I never do most of the talking. I do with my counsellor, but that's because I've got so many woes to explain what take a lot of words to describe.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

I talk non-stop to relatives and, after a few minutes I've known them, even to people I don't know very well, mosltly talking about my interests or my experiences. But, in general, I tend to talk more to people I know, like close relatives or friends, or to people I like.