Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

servicedogrights25
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 12:43 pm

I've been hearing a lot about the DSM change coming around next year, and the thought of it is literally killing me from stress. I had a meltdown last night because I heard that they were lumping us all under ASD and leaving it at that. (If I may add, I was whimpering because I couldn't find the words to say what I needed to, along with scratching at various objects such as a cardboard box) Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe I'm just not ready for a change like that. It seems as though some part of my identity will be lost. And all the different names are all the different conditions, and now they're all going to be one...
Someone stop me from freaking out. Please.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:27 pm

servicedogrights25 wrote:
I've been hearing a lot about the DSM change coming around next year, and the thought of it is literally killing me from stress. I had a meltdown last night because I heard that they were lumping us all under ASD and leaving it at that. (If I may add, I was whimpering because I couldn't find the words to say what I needed to, along with scratching at various objects such as a cardboard box) Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe I'm just not ready for a change like that. It seems as though some part of my identity will be lost. And all the different names are all the different conditions, and now they're all going to be one...
Someone stop me from freaking out. Please.

Aspergers is already considered autism, it was already one condition to begin with so it won't be too big of a change really its more a change to the wording of the DSM so it doesn't really have to effect your identity....don't know if that helps any though.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

I have been diagnosed with HFA as a child and decades later with Asperger's. Which proves that not even shrinks really know what they are doing.

Furthermore, Asperger's has always been part of autism and autism itself is a spectrum disorder, that is, basically everything remains the same.

I suggest we simply ditch the term "Aspie" in favor of AP for autistic person. Actually, I never liked the former because it sounds like a pet name.