Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

I like repeating things. I like listening to one song on repeat over and over and over again and I like repeating TV-series and movies etc. I also like repeating words and phrases. Especially things I've heard on the television when for example watching TV-series. I have a tendency to repeat those words and/or phrases over and over and over again (while sometimes laughing to myself) to the point of people getting annoyed with me.

It's not unusual for me to sit alone in my room and then all of a sudden say things (out loud) like for example "Big Apple. 3am." (which is from an old Turtles Nintendo game), "Hulk agrees to second date with puny humans" (The Big Bang Theory), "let alone a telephone" (which I read in my English text book 6,5 years ago) and things like that repeatedly.

Also, if I ask someone a question and they answer I sometimes repeat their answer to myself. I'm not sure how long I've done these things. For many years though. That's for sure.

Does anyone else do this? I've heard of something called Echolalia. Would this be it?

Sorry if threads like this exist already. I saw the one about accents (I like imitating accents) but this isn't really the same thing.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2013, 3:10 pm

I can get hung up on very short snippets of songs, like only part of a refrain, if I just heard it somewhere or it it's something from a commercial that gets blasted into my ears regularly.

I spend a lot of time alone (I work alone, mostly at night) and have developed a habit of vocalizing a lot, I guess it can be considered some kind of stim, usually I just sing softly but take care to not let anyone hear me, since I can go on for hours singing the same snippet over and over.

I also talk softly under my breath, and sometimes get hung up on phrases that I repeat. Not constantly, but they sneak out from time to time.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

I definitely do this and did it more so as a kid. Sometimes, if I've read a book with a particular style of writing (Like ASoIaF), I find myself randomly blurting out sentence structures that are common in the book including words that I'd otherwise never use. I'm not sure if that's too uncommon but I do it regularly. I'm also still stuck on repeating phrases from movies I'd seen as a kid; Ace Ventura in particular, ha. Overall, I don't think anything I do is too out there but it can be annoying for myself and also irritating for people who talk to me regularly and hear the same responses over and over: 'All-righty then!'

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

I have to listen to certain songs on repeat, sometimes for an entire day, I also read books and watch movies or certain episodes of shows over and over and over again. It annoys everyone so I try to do it when no one's around.
I repeat words or phrases in my head too. I'm not sure if I've ever vocalized it.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:39 pm

I get words, phrases and lines from songs stuck in my head all the time. I'll repeat them over and over in my head, but I'll hardly ever do it out loud.

And sometimes when I'm alone, I'll suddenly blurt out a random word or a line from a movie.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

charlottez
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2013, 3:44 pm

I definitely do the repeat song thing, sometimes the repeat tv/movie thing. If I'm watching television or a movie and something stands out, I'll mimic it over and over again until I feel I did it just like it was done on the show. I think that's because of my acting training though. Who knows, maybe it's AS related. Who the hell am I kidding? Of course it's AS related. I haven't taken an acting class in 20 years.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

I have a tendency to speak or just mouth a lot of my thoughts sometimes. It is something I try to prevent if I am around anyone else. And, yes, if my thoughts are drawn to a particular phrase spoken in a film or tv show I will find myself saying it back to myself.

Alexithymia: 137

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

I do the same thing quoting the Simpsons and various movies and I also get theme songs to shows stuck in my head.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

I have this problem sometimes. I'm still trying to expand my vocabulary somehow. Just looking up words and phrases doesn't work since I'll forget them sooner or later. Back in high school I used to use the phrase "Just so you know" a lot that the teacher said I should use that as my yearbook quote. I'm like "really?" with a not amused expression on my face and she was the same teacher who told me I was going to be bullied my whole life and that I must get used to it especially in the work environment. Need I mention I can sue since harassment and discrimination in the work place is not tolerable?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

jamgrrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

What an interesting topic.

Sometimes I get a word "stuck in my head", and for days it will randomly pop up on repeat, especially in the mornings when I get up. I once had "genuflect" stuck in my head for weeks. I don't say it aloud, though.

I generally can't stand watching shows or movies more than once, except for a few favorites that are good every few years. I can listen to music over and over, but once it gets stale, I really want something new (though I love to go listen to the old ones, too). I don't think I listen to single songs on repeat anymore than NTs typically do. Listening to a favorite song on repeat is pretty neurotypical.

But now that you've said it, there is a place in my brain that loves to repeat something - repetitive mindless casual games. Especially when I'm stressed.. the last thing I want then is a hard game (and I am also a hardcore gamer). I felt bad about it for a long time because I live with a very extreme hardcore gamer who wants his games to be as difficult as possible - and here I am playing solitaire for hours. Or Bejeweled. I feel bad for wasting my time and brilliance repeating a useless activity. Lately, though, especially now that I understand ASD better, I'm more forgiving of myself. Something about my mind needs that space. And I find I often do a lot of emotional processing, or even think of good ideas while I'm in that zone.

So I wonder if it's related?

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

rebbieh wrote:
I like repeating things. I like listening to one song on repeat over and over and over again and I like repeating TV-series and movies etc. I also like repeating words and phrases. Especially things I've heard on the television when for example watching TV-series. I have a tendency to repeat those words and/or phrases over and over and over again (while sometimes laughing to myself) to the point of people getting annoyed with me.

It's not unusual for me to sit alone in my room and then all of a sudden say things (out loud) like for example "Big Apple. 3am." (which is from an old Turtles Nintendo game), "Hulk agrees to second date with puny humans" (The Big Bang Theory), "let alone a telephone" (which I read in my English text book 6,5 years ago) and things like that repeatedly.

Also, if I ask someone a question and they answer I sometimes repeat their answer to myself. I'm not sure how long I've done these things. For many years though. That's for sure.

Does anyone else do this? I've heard of something called Echolalia. Would this be it?

Sorry if threads like this exist already. I saw the one about accents (I like imitating accents) but this isn't really the same thing.

Yes, I do this all the time. :D Lines from movies, TV shows, you name it. I sometimes recite amusing things that family members say. It's not uncommon for me to pace around the kitchen, reciting lines from movies and such--in character, no less.

It may be a manifestation of delayed echolalia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echolalia

I used to have Palilalia as a kid, which is where you repeat yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palilalia

I still catch myself doing that once in a while.

hojita
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2013, 2:10 am

I listen to songs over and over and repeatedly watch the same movies. I frequently repeat lines from movies and TV shows. I also get words stuck in my head for days, drives me crazy.

If someone is talking at the same time as me, I start repeating what they're saying instead of what I want to say. Or in conversation sometimes I'll repeat one word that someone else said. Super embarrassing. One time at my boyfriends parents house, his step father used the word "dear" and my sentence immediately changed to something like "we were going to the dear" and everyone laughed.

Also during an argument, my boyfriend used my ex's name a few times and when I first responded, I called him by it. He understood since I do it a lot though.

I also randomly blurt out random words and phrases when I'm alone. Usually I say them under my breath or repeat them in my head.

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2013, 6:10 am

rebbieh wrote:
I like repeating things. I like listening to one song on repeat over and over and over again

Sounds familiar. I take this one step further - sometimes I repeat specific parts of songs several times. Or specific scenes in a movie. Or re-read certain passages in a book over and over again.