Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

02 Feb 2013, 2:20 am

1000Knives wrote:
I'd probably hate this. I take caffeine and other stimulants and they relieve my anxiety. As most of my anxiety is related to ability or inability to do a task, or that I can't think fast enough. I've only realized now basically my entire days can be fueled by adrenaline and cortisol and whatnot. I'll have caffeine before driving or whatever to keep me calm before I anticipate stressful driving like on the highway or something. I need the fast reaction times the stimulants give as without them my reaction times are slow due to my NVLD.

It's kinda a cursed existence if I think about it, doomed to always be "stressed" but needing to be to accomplish anything.
'

I'm very similar to you in how I use caffeine to function, but caffeine actually makes me feel more relaxed (as well as more alert, competent, etc.), not more stressed. I feel stressed when I'm drowsy and dysfunctional, which is much of the time. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:21 am

caffeine makes me calmer but shorter of fuse.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 12:22 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I'd probably hate this. I take caffeine and other stimulants and they relieve my anxiety. As most of my anxiety is related to ability or inability to do a task, or that I can't think fast enough. I've only realized now basically my entire days can be fueled by adrenaline and cortisol and whatnot. I'll have caffeine before driving or whatever to keep me calm before I anticipate stressful driving like on the highway or something. I need the fast reaction times the stimulants give as without them my reaction times are slow due to my NVLD.

It's kinda a cursed existence if I think about it, doomed to always be "stressed" but needing to be to accomplish anything.
'

I'm very similar to you in how I use caffeine to function, but caffeine actually makes me feel more relaxed (as well as more alert, competent, etc.), not more stressed. I feel stressed when I'm drowsy and dysfunctional, which is much of the time. :(

Oh, caffeine generally relaxes me, too. Only if I take high amounts do I have real issues. Yay NVLD... So far the best stim seems to be rhodiola rosea, though, give that a try.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 3:57 pm

some people do feel more focused or more relaxed on caffeine, it's true. or if you are taking it every day, you might be dependent on it.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
some people do feel more focused or more relaxed on caffeine, it's true. or if you are taking it every day, you might be dependent on it.

Nope, not might anymore, I am.

But I don't know if I could do things like drive on the highway or in traffic without it.

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2013, 11:23 pm

I was on Lexapro for years, which was my first medication and life-changing. I went on Risperidone, too, and I still take that. I dropped Lexapro about a month ago and switched to Zoloft, but it hasn't had a very strong effect yet. I'm looking for something else that will make life (that is to say, life outside of my bedroom) easier to deal with.