Why men find it harder than women to read emotions

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

I told ya males have more difficulties reading facial expressions. This could lead to explaining why Autism is more common in males.

Quote:
Chaps, the next time the woman in your life yells at you for not knowing what she’s thinking, here’s your answer.
You can tell her she’s right – but you can’t help it.
Scientists have confirmed that men really do find it harder to read others’ emotions.
Edinburgh University researchers showed a group of men and women photographs of faces, then asked various questions about them.

[Mod. edit: article truncated for copyright reasons]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2K2K0iVQb

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 10:26 am

Being a woman with Asperger's I don't know if autism is more common in males, it's just that females are often misdiagnosed or not at all, perhaps because we seem better at "coping" with our disorder. As a teenager I had a very hard time socializing with other kids my age, so I'd role-play with my stuffed animals in my bedroom, something my mother once thought was extremely abnormal that had to be stopped. I do find I'm very expressive with my own facial expressions and body language but that's because they're often exaggerated to a degree while other people are too subtle. This is probably because I mainly learned expressions from cartoons and kid shows instead of real life. As a kid I once thought real people didn't show expressions at all!

And as for that cartoon it's so crudely drawn I'm lucky I can tell what either character is feeling. :P