Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2013, 12:14 am

Whats the difference? Ive been diagnosed with these back and fourth depending on the doctor.

epitome81
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2013, 3:03 am

Schizoaffective has intermittent psychosis between mood changes, I do not think Schizotypal has actual psychosis since it is a personality disorder.

http://www.bipolarcentral.com/articles/ ... order.html

NT Score= 126 out of 200

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 2:24 pm

^ Correct about schizotypals not actually having psychosis. It's more "weird beliefs" compared to the general population. But schizoaffectives have psychosis during their mood episodes, as many bipolar-Is do, but the psychosis doesn't go away when they've returned to a normal mood. That's why it's a mix of schizophrenia and bipolar. If someone is diagnosed as schizotypal and bipolar, they should be exhibiting schizotypal traits and a typical form of bipolar-I or bipolar-II disorder. However, these individuals would have a heightened risk of switching to being schizoaffective later in life. This is because schizotypal is often called "schizophrenia lite," and many schizotypals become schizophrenics later on. Others just remain schizotypal.

The article in that link isn't all that great. A big flaw is that they explain away schizoaffective disorder if psychosis happens during a manic episode. And bipolar individuals can have psychosis during mixed episodes and depressive episodes, too. Not just manic episodes.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:11 am

I have the same problem at the moment.

I've propably Bipolar II and either schizotypal PD or schizoaffective.
I personally think I match more the schizatypal PD (StPD) and Bipolar II.

My symptoms aren't that obvious. I've mood swings, no psychosis and I have eccentric behaviour.
I also don't have that many cycles and my mainproblems are my depressive episodes.

So I guess with this combination I've just "schizoaffective light" if you will.

I hope my psychiatrist will decide soon with what exactly he'll diagnose me. :?

But I don't think it matters that much if you have schizotypal PD + Bipolar or schizoaffective as a diagnosis.
So far I know the chances for someone with StPD to develop Schizophrenia is approx. between 10% and 25%.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm

The distinction between Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder is not clear-cut.

There's a significant overlap in symptoms and genetic correlation between each of these "disorders". Co-morbidity is also very common.

Personally, I lean towards the notion that Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder are not individual conditions but as different expressions of the same spectrum.

I would also argue that these are not disorders, but normal variations within human behavior that have been pathologized for no other reason but the rather eccentric and unusual behavior of people within, which makes them more difficult to manipulate and control.

alomoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2015, 4:15 pm

Raziel wrote:
I have the same problem at the moment.

I've propably Bipolar II and either schizotypal PD or schizoaffective.
I personally think I match more the schizatypal PD (StPD) and Bipolar II.

My symptoms aren't that obvious. I've mood swings, no psychosis and I have eccentric behaviour.
I also don't have that many cycles and my mainproblems are my depressive episodes.

So I guess with this combination I've just "schizoaffective light" if you will.

I hope my psychiatrist will decide soon with what exactly he'll diagnose me. :?

But I don't think it matters that much if you have schizotypal PD + Bipolar or schizoaffective as a diagnosis.
So far I know the chances for someone with StPD to develop Schizophrenia is approx. between 10% and 25%.

Exactly what I am. Except I don't know which one either. My suggestion is to ignore it. Probably schizotypal.