burt bacharach's daughter commits suicide; she had asperger'

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 9:02 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16491610/

The article calls Asperger's a "disorder" rather than a syndrome. The family statement in the article seems places the blame for her suicide on Asperger's "ravages", yet doesn't mention depression or anxiety as causes.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jan 2007, 9:13 pm

I found that article disturbing. It seemed to imply that Asperger's syndrome was "ravaging" this person's brain, as if it were a cancer or other pathogen with a predictable and deadly course. It is articles such as this that promote misunderstandings between people on the spectrum and NTs, as well as invoke the very responses of horror and pity for our state which we despise.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 9:35 pm

I heard about this on the radio...

The newscaster mispronounced it, saying "ass-purgers." How distasteful.

And about the article... PIX PLZ!! !!1one

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 9:56 pm

I have felt ravaged by my brain.

It's so sad that she killed herself. :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 10:40 pm

That's very sad news.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 10:45 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I found that article disturbing. It seemed to imply that Asperger's syndrome was "ravaging" this person's brain, as if it were a cancer or other pathogen with a predictable and deadly course. It is articles such as this that promote misunderstandings between people on the spectrum and NTs, as well as invoke the very responses of horror and pity for our state which we despise.

It doesn't "imply." It says it outright.

pinoy_pac_fan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2007, 1:29 am

that news kinda scares me, i feel im going to that direction, have been like that ever since i can remember, but only the feelings got much worse since 1997.

it feels like suicide's gonna be inevitable.

im just trying to block all the crap in my head out everyday, or not thinking too much and be real numb, so i wont get too down.

rest in peace, miss bacharach.

-Eeyore

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 1:45 am

Do you ever get the impression that if a bunch of us got together something fantastic could happen? A lot goes on in our heads and it's different from being empty-headed and banal.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 11:39 am

I read that first article last night. This morning there is another one out that says she was diagnosed "following" her premature birth (in 1966). So, that's totally impossible. What's likely is that she was a celebrity kid raised in a wealthy showbiz family and environment and didn't know what was different about her. She couldn't have been diagnosed until a few years ago.
She probably had developmental delays that embarrassed her family because they didn't know enough about them.

Please recognize that she probably didn't know where to turn, or that it's possible to live a happy life.

EmmaMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2007, 12:25 pm

Typical news media sensationalisn. Maybe the family made the statement to take away their own guilt. I hope the major AS organizations use this as a chance for public education.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Jan 2007, 2:45 pm

Depression is highly comorbit with AS and suicide is associated with depression so
I see nothing wrong with the family's statements. The word "disorder" is used by the general population to regardless if we find it political incorrect. So I'm not going to tar and feather them for using it.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 8:37 pm

TheMachine1, I don't like the word "disorder". It's just one step away from "chaos"!

"Syndrome" is more palatable.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 9:16 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Depression is highly comorbit with AS and suicide is associated with depression so
I see nothing wrong with the family's statements. The word "disorder" is used by the general population to regardless if we find it political incorrect. So I'm not going to tar and feather them for using it.

I would happily tar and feather them for implying that their own daughter was better off dead because Asperger's was "ravaging her brain."

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Jan 2007, 9:32 pm

Remnant wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

I would happily tar and feather them for implying that their own daughter was better off dead because Asperger's was "ravaging her brain."

Aspergers is a spectrum condition we do not know what this lady was going through. "Ravaging her brain" may have been a fair characteration. I do not think
her parents implied she was better off dead. If people think I'm going to join the
bandwagon and question this family in their time of mourning, thats not going to
happen.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 10:42 pm

I don't think Aspergers ravages your brain. It's just wired differently. Maybe societies attitude that it is a "disorder'' and makes a person defective contributed towards her depression and suicide.

Veronica
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2007, 10:55 pm

I know this may seem odd to say, but, I don't know, maybe she was really unhappy with being an Aspie? Maybe she lived in a situation that was not kind to her, that did not allow her proper information and help with any issues she may have had? It's no secret many Aspies are severely depressed, and a lot of that has to do with misinformation and an uncaring living situation. She may have truly believed she was being ravaged by Asperger's. We won't ever really know?

Regardless, this is very sad news to hear indeed.