Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2013, 7:47 pm

I'd for a good while been frustrated by cheap socks falling around my ankles, and some so poorly elasticated that they fell to my soles and practically rolled off my feet. Then a little over two years ago I went on a short walk and found I was pulling up an awful pair of socks every single minute of the way. The only thing for it felt like buying a pair of garters (men's sock suspenders).

Ever since, I've only spent one morning (when in trousers) without wearing sock suspenders, and that wasn't pleasant. The best thing I've received for Christmas for a few years, and all for the price of a record, a T-shirt, a cheap month's phone contract, etc. It boggles my mind how they ever stopped being commonly worn and I'd sooner give up my belts than my sock suspenders. They simply make things fit better and are made for the wearer alone.

I get the feeling they're a bit antiquated though. The only time I remember showing them was during an early '60s/Mad Men fancy dress party under my suit to a couple of mates, and awkwardly one other time when the doctor had to inspect my feet for plantar fasciitis. Does anyone else wear sock suspenders? Am I the only 21-year-old who puts them on first thing in the morning?

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 8:48 pm

I had not seen garters that were intended for socks, only garters for over the knee hosiery (but that could be because I am a woman). I have not worn sock suspenders but would love to for some of my socks. Where do you get them from?

Ramba_Ral
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2013, 8:36 am

the military still uses them when they are in uniform.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 2:43 pm

I'd never seen them until I saw some old cartoons. I had to ask my mom what they were.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 5:38 pm

they're cute, i like them. i saw someone wearing them recently and i thought they looked quite nice.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 6:18 pm

Sounds cool!!

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2013, 7:17 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
they're cute, i like them. i saw someone wearing them recently and i thought they looked quite nice.

Saw someone wearing them? Surely they're meant to be hidden under trousers? Still, glad there's still a little supply and demand.

I guess if people twice my age have no idea about them then I'm on my own though. But I still think I'm on the vanguard with them. Buy some, put them on out of curiosity. You won't go back!

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2013, 7:20 pm

nebrets wrote:
I had not seen garters that were intended for socks, only garters for over the knee hosiery (but that could be because I am a woman). I have not worn sock suspenders but would love to for some of my socks. Where do you get them from?

My first pair got a bit too dirty and tatty for my taste, so I recently bought some new ones. I got my first pair from Oliver Blackburn's in Slaithwaite, West Yorkshire, a man of about 80 who's hardly changed his shop since he established it.

I needed my next pair quicker than a day's trip out though, so went to the first place on Google: http://www.woodsofshropshire.co.uk/. I can say now that they make sturdy pairs.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:08 pm

I used to use sock glue to keep my socks from falling down when I was a school girl. It's a glue stick specifically made to keep socks in place. But if you have hair on legs it might be uncomfortable when you take them off.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:38 pm

Back when my dad had to wear knee high socks for lawn bowls he used to wear rings of wide elastic around near the tops, and then fold the top of the sock over to conceal them. That seemed to work at keeping them up.

I haven't seen any men wear knee high socks since though :P

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2013, 4:31 pm

A ring of elastic is often bad for your circulation and can contribute to varicose veins.
There are circulation or diabetic socks "engineered" to stay up without pressure in one spot that you may find helpful.

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 6:53 pm

I don't think it's antiquated. I think it's rather smart, and somewhat cute.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2013, 4:25 pm

In terms of circulation it doesn't seem so bad. If they leave a mark at the end of the day when you take them off, it'd be like a trouser line around your waist. I don't really think there are any snags. Knee high socks do a bit to keep you warm. I go down to ankle high when the weather goes above 20ºC, but that's two weeks a year.