Monthly but not Weekly 11%  11%  [ 60 ]
Yearly but not Monthly 8%  8%  [ 46 ]
Yearly but not Monthly 8%  8%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 556

mrL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 3:52 pm

Regardless of what is happening in our lives, we aspies usually end up thinking about suicide. It could be during the happiest moments or the saddest. It often occurs at random. I usually think about suicide when I am happiest because I know the moment won't last. Thoughts of suicide are a daily thing for me and like many Aspies its not something that all the drugs in the world will fix. So how often do you think about suicide and what usually causes it?

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

I don't think about suicide except in really bad times/deep depression and despair, unless you count thoughts like "when I'm old I'll go into the woods with some booze and pass out in a snowbank before I let my kids put me a nursing home!". I wouldn't count that.

When I was young and being beaten up and harassed was my daily routine, though, probably weekly.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

I think this is a generalisation. I don't think about suicide. There should be a poll option for never.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

I never think about suicide. I'm happy to be alive. :)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:41 pm

Right after dealing with my ex fiance and losing everything I have acomplished it was every day as the months went by it was every week now its every few months! Whenever I feel real down and suicidal I think like this! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyh5U19HXZc[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Philosoraptor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

I only ever think of suicide when the word comes up, though for the same reason one thinks about elephants when one makes the statement "do not think about elephants." So, never intentionally.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 5:03 pm

On average I'd say monthly but I have periodic moments in which I'll probably be thinking about suicide constantly every day for weeks or even months. Sometimes I'm free from suicidal thoughts for extended periods of time as well. It's not consistent. Sometimes it's daily or weekly and other times it's yearly. Averaging it out I voted for monthly but I'm usually on one of two extremes depending on what's going on.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

Casual suicidal thoughts are common in the general public, even in the absence of any mental disorder.

It's when you start to seriously consider it that you should be getting help. If you're just wishing you could kill yourself, thinking about dying, etc., then you're safer than if you're actually making plans, but should still call your doctor. If you're making plans, that's an emergency; if you're impulsive or you're under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it's more dangerous and you have less time to get help. The more impulsive you are and the closer you are to a convenient method of killing yourself, the greater the danger from serious suicidal ideation. It has always seemed ironic to me that among those at risk for suicide, the greatest risk doesn't actually come from how bad your depression (or other condition) is--but from how much effort it would take you to plan a suicide attempt. The more effort it takes, the more your depression hinders your planning, and the more likely you are to survive. I am among an apparently significant group of people who, while depressed, subconsciously protected themselves from suicide by creating plans that were particularly complicated or strenuous and so could not be carried out impulsively.

Just a casual thought about suicide, without dwelling on it or desiring it, is not a danger sign. Suicide is so much a part of the world--and has been for as long as human history has been recorded--that it would be very surprising that most people did not sometimes think about suicide, just like we think about other disturbing or distressing things that we encounter in our world.

Oddly enough, some suicidally depressed people do not think about suicide particularly obsessively. Rather, they may have a strong and often unarticulated wish to go to sleep without waking up, or to get drunk and stay drunk (or similar substance), or simply to "escape" without quite knowing what they are trying to escape from. Often this is associated with the distracted, scattered state of mind associated with serious depression, and usually with having lost some ability to take care of themselves.

If you're obsessing about suicide, get help; you're either suicidal or your OCD has caught ahold of the idea. If you're in serious distress even though you're not explicitly thinking about suicide, still get help. But if it just randomly pops into your mind, an idle thought or a bit of morbid curiosity, then that happens to everybody. It'd be odd if we didn't think about it occasionally; suicide is in the news all the time.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 16 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 5:16 pm

I might lack motivation, but I'm never feeling suicidal.

To stop suicidal thoughts and gain motivation positive self-talk might help to some degree. Something like this:

You must reclaim your inner strength:

YOU NEED TO THINK MORE ABOUT YOURSELF!

YOUR LIFE IS IMMENSELY IMPORTANT!

YOUR LIFE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT HAS EVER BEEN IN THIS WORLD!

YOUR LIFE IS AT LEAST AS IMPORTANT AS EVERYONE ELSE'S!

ALWAYS DO ACTIONS THAT BENEFIT YOURSELF (What do YOU want?)

NEVER DO ACTIONS THAT DO NOT BENEFIT YOURSELF (What do you NOT want?)

FIGHT FOR THE HAPPY LIFE YOU HAVE ALWAYS DREAMT OF!

YOU CAN DO IT!

YOUR LIFE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THIS WORLD!

ENJOY LIFE!

ALWAYS THINK ABOUT YOURSELF!

YOUR LIFE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THIS WORLD!

YOU ARE NOT HERE TO SERVE YOUR SURROUNDINGS, YOUR SURROUNDINGS ARE HERE TO SERVE YOU!

SOMETHING BOTHERS YOU? f**k IT!!

f**k ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, NOTHING IN THIS WORLD CAN HURT YOU OR TAKE YOU DOWN.

TELL THE WORLD THAT YOU LOVE YOURSELF. YOU KNOW YOU LOVE YOURSELF. DON'T FOOL YOURSELF INTO THINKING OTHERWISE.

NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TOLD YOU IN THE PAST, IT CANNOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOU LOVE YOURSELF DEEPLY.

DON'T BASE YOUR CONFIDENCE ON WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF YOU OR ON YOUR SKILLS. JUST KNOW THAT YOU ARE GREAT NO MATTER WHAT. IT IS NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION WHETHER YOU ARE GREAT. YOU SIMPLY ARE GREAT!!

SINCE YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON, FIGHT FOR THE HAPPY LIFE YOU DESERVE. NEVER LET OTHER PEOPLE TAKE THE HAPPY LIFE AWAY FROM YOU.

YOU DESERVE A GREAT LIFE AND A HAPPY FUTURE. INSIST ON THIS!! FIGHT FOR THAT HAPPY LIFE.

AND DON'T FORGET: YOUR LIFE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THIS WORLD!

mrL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 5:22 pm

Suicidal thoughts are different in Aspies, we are a very unique bunch. Unlike NT's these thoughts are often linked to the way our brains work; It can however be a result of frustration. Who is to really say whats normal or abnormal for an Aspie. We cannot measure ourselves against NT's; so for all we know suicidal thoughts may simply be our brains way of coping.

EDIT: I'm regretting not adding never as an option; it appears that everyday is the general consensus but numerous people are also stating never in response post.

qawer wrote:
I might lack motivation, but I'm never feeling suicidal.

To stop suicidal thoughts and gain motivation positive self-talk might help to some degree. Something like this:

You must reclaim your inner strength:

YOU NEED TO THINK MORE ABOUT YOURSELF!

Qawer I disagree, our lives are no more valuable than the ants that we step on and kill. Life and death are relative. The reality we live in is constructed by the frame that we create in our minds. We tend to see whatever we believe. If you strip away feelings and emotions when looking at an attractive person, then all they are is flesh or meat similar to the cattle we slaughter and eat (intelligence is not an argument to separate cattle as there are different levels of intelligence). Everything you state is a frame. If someone dies, relativity no one will notice; even if someone does it really doesn't matter to the person whom has died because they are dead. Things we do or don't do in the life have absolutely no meaning other that what you hope to leave or instill in the minds of others or simply how content you were before you died. We overvalue the concept of life; A person could be doing great today and have a heart attack and die a moment later; now their life is over and any purpose died with them. We like to believe we control our lives but in truth we control nothing we simply attempt to manipulate them.

I think being an Aspie has helped me to clearly see that social cues are a man made creation (it likely existed before language was developed). We Aspies simply see things as they are which is as nothing. People determine what is funny or not; we are taught to find things funny; we aren't born this way. Happiness, Kindness, evil and all other emotions or behaviors are man made or genetic but nothing more. Genes manipulate and control us. We are no more than advanced machines and even then, for all we know on a universal scale we could be rather unsophisticated when compared to other potential life. Contemplating suicide is one thing, but debating the value of life is another.

Last edited by mrL on 16 Feb 2013, 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 5:28 pm

Wow. I'm really shocked to see that "every day" is the top option right now. That's sad...

I never thought about suicide like "I'm gonna kill myself, right now", but I had it in the back of my head as some kind of "last solution" a few times. It was actually kind of consoling: If everything fails, I can still kill myself, and then at least I won't have to endure this for longer.

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

Sanctus wrote:
Wow. I'm really shocked to see that "every day" is the top option right now. That's sad...

I never thought about suicide like "I'm gonna kill myself, right now", but I had it in the back of my head as some kind of "last solution" a few times. It was actually kind of consoling: If everything fails, I can still kill myself, and then at least I won't have to endure this for longer.

I put every day, but im not sure, if im suicidal or is just my OCD, i always think, several times in the day, even when im happy, "if i wouldnt be here, my family could feel better, or i wouldnt be a problem anymore or i wouldnt feel alone anymore"

Things like that many times in the day, even without being sad, i dont know if is my OCD, also those thinks comes with ways of commiting the suicide not just a question and nothing more, i also think, i should jump from this second floor, or i should cut myself.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2013, 5:47 pm

Any time i think about what i desire in life, who i always believed i would become, or consider asperations of the future.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

mrL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm

And, everyday continues a breakaway lead!

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm

Seems to be all the time these days.

mrL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 6:02 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Right after dealing with my ex fiance and losing everything I have acomplished it was every day as the months went by it was every week now its every few months! Whenever I feel real down and suicidal I think like this! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyh5U19HXZc[/youtube]

FYI, AspieOtaku, the chairman is definetely one of us!

I remember there was a Suicide Arc "Welcome To Paradise" where a group of Aspies got together to kill themselves. It was incredible how well organized they were. Interesting how none wanted to die alone. Its like we are human but just missing something that everyone else got however we are also gifted with the ability to be talented at levels that often go beyond the scope of what NT's do. It's so weird.