Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 11:54 am

Does anyone else notice that when they're watching a film with others, or at the cinema / theatre etc. (although personally I cannot stand cinemas and theatres), while most of the other people watching are laughing, being scared, being sad, crying, gasping, basically showing emotions, you are just sitting there involuntarily straight-faced going "why is everyone showing X emotion?"

I don't show much emotion normally. But when I watch a film, I can never understand why others laugh / cry / gasp / etc. I can sit through a whole film completely expressionless. And that's natural for me.

People have said I talk in a monotone.

Are you like this?

Why do so many people (mostly NTs, although I don't like to generalise) show huge amounts of emotion when they're talking? Does it serve a purpose? I have got through over 23 years of life with little emotion and I'm still alive...

Marc420
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2013, 12:06 pm

The only emotion I show during movies or tv is laughter.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 3:20 pm

I showed a lot more emotion around others when I knew what people wanted to see. I didn't understand why everyone needed to know what I was feeling. I think it's because insecure people feel better when they know what others are feeling.

elsing
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

I never cry at films - except once after a scene where wasps crawled out of someone nose, I also puked but i am very phobic of them, I watch allot of horrors and jump a little at the high tension scenes but never scream out loud like many others do, the grisly scenes only fascinate me I never react in a outward way like others do.

I do laugh and laugh and laugh when my boyfriend cry's at films and a really good comedy can have me laughing rather just my internal laugh that i choose to not share with anyone.

I have no idea why people show so much emotion when they talk and people tell me my face is expressionless, guess what I am still alive. The whole eye contact thing does nothing for me but i have a pact with myself to try to do it at least once per conversation as it is allegedly important.

Cinemas don't bother me but theatres freak me out a bit because I feel the actors are focusing on me.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 3:44 pm

I show emotion when I'm really, really excited about something. Usually, this happens when I'm talking about fandom-related stuff with my sister or having discussions with my English teacher. I smile, I laugh, I talk loudly and quickly, and I'm very energetic. Otherwise, I believe I come off as fairly neutral.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 3:52 pm

I only laugh if the TV programme is quite funny but never cry or scream though.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 7:12 pm

I cried a few times, maybe in 5 movies or so. However, I barely laugh or do anything else.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 7:14 pm

The only emotion I show is when somebody is playing with their phone or kicking my seat.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 7:27 pm

Even as an NT l'm just now starting to show more emotion while speaking and l don't even like it.

l get why it's done. Which is probably why l don't like it.

ln conversation with most people l feel like they are usually trying to play the social dominance game. That includes gauging the other person's reaction to what they're saying, people do NOT like it when they can't tell how you feel about what they're talking about.

l don't think it's all related to wanting to "connect" at all, l can sense when a person is trying very hard to gauge my reactions and most of the time these people are types who are kind of trying to own you in conversations.

ln fact l purposefully go more deadpan around types that l know operate this way (my god l am a really dysfunctional NT lol).

But, l have my reasons. And l do think most of this boils down to wanting to use another person's emotional state to manipulate them. Or even just to cling to that person if they are not manipulative but co-dependent.

Also just saw what the poster above said about it being based in insecurity and ITA.

HDTV...

Whatever.