Tired of family pressuring me to go back to school....

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 12:01 pm

at least you have a college degree, i'm 25 and i only have a high school diploma

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2013, 9:55 am

1000Knives wrote:
I don't see a college degree doing anything in America. HOWEVER, and this is where I wish I had college under my belt, overseas. Overseas lots of jobs require a BA, teaching English for example, guaranteed salary of, say, ¥160000-200000 a month. Teaching English overseas is a hell of a lot better job proposition than using your college degree to work at like Best Buy. Besides the obvious choices like Asia people tend to think of, Saudi Arabia has LOTS of jobs available. Also regardless of jobs, college makes lots of visa applications easier.

I actually almost did that (as my degree is in English), but about two weeks before I was scheduled to fly out, I started becoming highly suspicious of the company. Maybe I should try again with a more legitimate outfit...

Quote:
Besides that, I don't know what to tell you. Unless your more school involves you becoming a doctor or lawyer, it's not gonna do sh**. You could become a mechanic or plumber, don't pay anyone to teach you, just do DIY or have friends show you, tag along/watch others, etc. This is Obama's "New Economy." But basically, menial hard, but skilled labor, makes decent money now, auto mechanics make like $12 an hour at dealers, machinists can make even more. Or be a doctor or something that by law REQUIRES school. Or if you're really ballsy, start your own business. But no, education doesn't mean anything anymore. United States is the new "Workers Paradise" in that education in the classic sense (liberal arts) is unneeded nowadays. We've reverted back to just learning trades again, and our entire economy is based upon calling people to unclog toilets and deliver pizzas.

Well said. I'm just annoyed at the people who think the economy's always been this way (<cough> Jblizten <cough>). Growing up, I was taught that GPA would matter more than major. It was probably true at the time, but it's not now.

WantToHaveALife wrote:
at least you have a college degree, i'm 25 and i only have a high school diploma

In the current economy, having a liberal arts/social science degree puts you in the same category as someone with no college at all. I'm not kidding...

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 3:33 pm

WhoKnowsWhy wrote:
In the current economy, having a liberal arts/social science degree puts you in the same category as someone with no college at all. I'm not kidding...

At least the social sciences *barf* degree could help you become a bottom-level supervisor instead of front-line grunt. That's a lot of money into education for very little reward. :(

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm

ya especially since all i have is a high school diploma