Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 3:06 am

So I've noticed a trend with a pretty large percentage of girls that live in my area, that I personally find hilarious and somewhat odd. Anyways the highs have been mostly in the 30-50 degree F range here over the past few months, so it's been fairly chilly. But I see a pretty large amount of girls walking around in these heavy fur coats, and short shorts! I'd honestly estimate it at about 15-25% of the women in my area. Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't exactly seem like the most logical style choice. The only thing I can guess is that they just seriously want to show off their legs or something, because that clearly can't be comfortable in 20/30 degree weather! Not to mention, doesn't wearing short shorts kind of defeat the purpose of wearing the heavy coat in the first place? It's like saying "Yeah, I'm going to bundle up and wear 5 layers of clothing today to keep warm...but I'm going to leave my legs completely exposed and let them get eaten alive by the elements!" So does anyone have any additional insight on this style trend lol?

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 9:29 am

I honestly don't have a response for people who wear short shorts, and a heavy coat in that kind of weather. Then again what do I know about " cold " weather. Where people wear heavy coats in fifty degree weather. * not me be the way, because I don't find fifty degrees to cold at all. * :)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 10:14 am

Sometimes some ridiculous-looking styles become prevalent. Some of them just make me laugh. There was a short period of time when some women had strange-looking makeup on, which made them look as if their faces had been burned or something. I think it's partly a fad mentality. By following what some others are doing, they feel they are not left behind/left out.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:44 am

here in Manchester, on the coldest nights (-10'C or -15'C, cold enough to get sick) i would see blokes walking around town or standing in line to get into nightclubs wearing t-shirts with no jackets or coats on. i don't know why people suffer for fashion, but they do.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

Not so long ago, I saw some girls wearing short shorts in below zero weather(F). We had quite a laugh at them risking frostbite to try to be "hot stuff". :lol:

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2013, 1:04 pm

For these people, having their friends point out that they are wearing the "wrong" thing is far, far worse than being freezing cold.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 1:11 pm

Like the saying goes... If you got it, flaunt it.

Browncoat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

I've noticed this sort of thing too, but it took me while to realize why it was wierd. I'm comfortable in Tshirts at subzero temperatures so somebody had to explain to me that other people think that's cold.
As far as fashion goes, I've never understood it. And given how wierd it is, I kind of hope I never do.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

So, I'm not a hot chick, but I went out this morning to walk my dog wearing chuck taylor loafers with no socks, shorts and a hooded sweatshirt in 30F degree weather... :P

I was not making a fashion statement, but I was making a statement about my lack of clean clothes...

:?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2013, 6:42 pm

We should wear what we feel comfortable in. Forget fashion. Some people feel cold easily and others hardly at all. The same goes for the heat.

My legs don't get cold easily, but I find my arms do sometimes. Maybe because I'm a keen runner, I get warm pretty quickly during training and never wear a track suit, even in the coldest weather, as I'll overheat within a short while then.

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:44 pm

Satanic cloak.