Have you ever wondered if Aspergers is just an excuse?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 7:01 pm

Same here. No one that I know personally offline has ever heard me refer to Asperger's. It's only within the confines of this forum and two others (Neurolands and AVEN) that I make references to being an Aspie. For me, Asperger's Syndrome is simply an explanation for some of the difficulties I have faced in the past and a few of the shortcomings I still have (eg, my inability to decipher other people's nonverbal communication cues).

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 7:04 pm

I've never used Aspergers an exuse, but I have used it as an explanation.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2007, 8:38 pm

my b**** of a sister used to jeer "did you have another episode?" every time i had a meltdown at school or something, it was quit humiliating, she's just a stupid b**** so i dont care about her anyone.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 9:32 pm

I am very discrete; I feel no need to divulge personal information to anyone at all ever unless it is necessary. AS is not an excuse but is rather a way of being outside of normal parameters. Sometimes it is advantageous and this is where your focus should lie. I do have real problems though and I try to puzzle through them (especially enhanced sensory modality). I am often misinterpreted. I try very hard. So, you must always be accountable and not blame AS! Everyone (NT or not) makes mistakes.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 9:48 pm

I just posted but I forgot something......

Recently a man I barely know said in a semi-social setting (direct quote) "I just got back from Michigan, I married my sister." I interpret literally. I said, in honesty, "That's ok (I am not judgmental), but maybe you should not say that in public - you know, the incest taboo....." You looked at me for a moment and then laughed hysterically. He explained, he meant that he performed her wedding ceremony.

It's not all bad.

Faceless
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2007, 10:13 pm

It depends on what you make it out to be.

You could be trying your best to fit in and have every right to say that the "syndrome" is keeping you from making friends.

lightsounds
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2007, 10:25 pm

''I've never used Aspergers an exuse, but I have used it as an explanation.''
same here.

Faceless
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2007, 10:39 pm

I've never used it as an excuse either, but I've been told I have once while talking to a counselor, which at the time I wasn't.

I'd feel embarrassed to use it as an explanation, like what if I wanted to tell someone about the diagnosis and explain the syndrome but the person has never even heard about it? And tell the person it's a form of Autism? Dang.

But does anyone (even if you've never done it) have those times where they want to use it as an excuse?

Eyphur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2007, 11:03 pm

I've never used Aspergers an an excuse to the effect of saying, "I can't do this, because I have Aspergers".

I refused to go to the comemcement cerimony when I graduated from college and again when I finished my master's. My reasons for not going was, "people and parking and nobody knows whats going on and relatives" which is lots of anxiety and not feeling in control/prepared for whats going to happen. So, yeah, I think that's kind of an Aspie thing.

I am allways afraid tho, when I tell people that I have Aspergers, that they will say that I am making up and excuse and that I'm really just lazy, stupid, un motovated, AD(H)D or something.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 11:29 pm

alex wrote:
I've wondered this before, but then I realized that it's only an excuse if you use it as one. Otherwise, it's just an explanation.

Nicely said. I concur.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 11:29 pm

I wonder all the time if I'm using it as an excuse, or to finally feel like I belong to something. But at the end of the day, I am still acting like me, with or without the label, and my childhood was riddled with all kinds of weird behaviors and problems that I could not help, no matter how hard I attempted to change myself and my personality.

Lemmiwinks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2007, 6:04 am

I have never used it as an excuse because:

A) No-one knows what it is.
B) No-one really cares about your excuses.

1. If life gives you poop......make poop juice.
2. Living in a Dystopian Future - right now.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 6:06 am

alex wrote:
I've wondered this before, but then I realized that it's only an excuse if you use it as one. Otherwise, it's just an explanation.

Perfectly put.

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2007, 7:01 am

alex wrote:

Other people and the whims of the great magnet are funny like that.

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 7:29 am

I wouldn't use it as an excuse because I don't see the distinction between "normal" and "strange", only a variety of different people, and because it doesn't cause me a whole lot of problems. Unlike depression.

On the other hand, AS would explain why I feel as if I were on drugs all the time. Which is something of a relief.

Quote:

Exactly.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 7:47 am

Lemmiwinks wrote:
I have never used it as an excuse because:

A) No-one knows what it is.
B) No-one really cares about your excuses.

Same here. Even when I've mentioned it, people say, 'oh that doesen't exist.' So now I don't mention it.