Have you ever wondered if Aspergers is just an excuse?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

MistyRose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2009, 4:27 pm

I over explain everything...which is why Nt's think everythings an excuse. People never HEAR me. Or at least thats how I put it, when in reality, they will NEVER understand so it doesnt matter how much i explain. As for empathy, well sometimes I do and some times I dont. Sometimes I can relate too much to a movie scene, and have to turn the channel. If theres a first kiss or something embarrasing, i actually get so embarassed for them that I feel it, and have to exit the situation. I can have empathy I think when I can relate because Ive been through something simulair...true empathy? probably not. I tell them all the things I should...its ok, you'll be alright, but I never worry about them, or check up on them etc. My ex, who I loved dearly, just called me selfish. Selfish selfish selfish...among many other things. That hurts...alot. i do try hard not to be. But sometimes if im not allowed to say, change my environment to the way I like it, I get physically and mentally depressed. So according to him I always had to have things my way etc. Its very lonely being an aspie...I mean Ill go out and have superficial fun with superficial friends, but very few stick around after they REALLY get to know me. I expect it, its been this way my entire life but you never ever get used to it.

OneVoice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2009, 9:19 pm

I think you pose a very valid question.

My 11 yr old nephew has AS. He is also the only child of very devoted parents ... and I wonder where the line is between AS and spoiled.

I don't think "AS" and "spoiled" are mutually exclusive :)

And I think that's a really tough tightrope to walk -- what is bratty and what is AS?

I don't know the answer.

But it's a very interesting question.