Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

Last edited by qawer on 28 Feb 2013, 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

In autism research studies, a neurotypical person in the control group is someone with typical childhood development of the large majority of people and typical adulthood behaviors of the large majority of people and no psychiatric disorders like clinical depression and no neurological disorders like epilepsy.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 4:39 pm

I define ''neurotypical'' as people that developed typically as a child, with their differences only minor enough to remain unnoticed enough to need an assessment or diagnosis of any kind, and grow into adults with generally typical adult behaviours (like the above poster said). Every person has their own flaws and nobody's perfect, and everybody has at least one Aspie trait, maybe two of even three, but it's not frequent enough to interfere with their lives in ways that could make them different to the next average person.

You could look upon it as ''everyone worries to an extent, therefore everyone has an anxiety disorder and no-one's neurotypical'', but that just goes a bit far, and would be a bit like saying ''everyone forgets things at times so everyone has Alzheimer's''. The way a person is defined as neurotypical or not depends on how they display AS symptoms concurrently (or symptoms for other conditions like ADHD or Fragile-X and many other various disorders). It is a very subtle topic to actually describe, and needs to be explained by a more professional person than myself.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 5:08 pm

my husband have adhd but i dont look upon him as nuerrotypical. he doesnt have 'normal' adult behaviour, he is always showing off when his friends come round by teasing me, and his in his early 50s. he doesnt just do age appropiate jokes or other humorous stuff like that, he really goes beyond and even sometimes his friends have to calm him down. he does things in shops like knocks stuff off the shelf on purpose so it all falls down then get everyones attention and he picks it up quietly laughing thinking its so entertaining. and he does other things like that all the time.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 5:12 pm

Confusing, scary, annoying

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
franknfurter wrote:
what makes someone an NT and who has the right to label them as such

Neurotypical, by it's definition means the majority having that neurological wiring considered normal.

So anyone not having the same wiring as a person of that majority is not an NT.

It's not about rights, it's about majority and minority needing a way to explain the difference.

Agreed.

Handy-dandy.

My suggestion: If you don't like the terminology, then by all means express the differences in your own way. Invent something and see if it catches on, although my bet is that whatever we use will be used by some in a negative way. What is the term: infinite regress? Seriously, I think what is being stated here is that we should all just be nice to each other - great ideal. But, we still need modes of communication and good luck with consensus on any term. Further, I don't see a problem with people using the term: NT to blow off some anger as this is a support site and people do legitimately need a place to blow off some steam - to speak honestly and without judgment. The moderators are here to decide when "blowing off steam" crosses the line and becomes abuse.

My suggestion is that, in the interests of getting along in a support community, we just let it go. Use whatever terminology you like, be responsible for what comes out of your own mouths, sure - express your opinions as this post does - let the moderators do their job, and let us not let our support community be divided over such matters. Let us, I suggest, accept our differences - not worry so much - and not replicate the judgment and intolerance that many of us are here to find some peace from ... please. * And before you argue that NT replicates this judgment and intolerance - please refer to the my comment to being allowed to blow off steam in a support site. NT is more often used as a term of convenience - and we are speaking ASD to ASD, largely - we need the language and a "safe place" to do so.

My "soap box" oration for the day - LM

Last edited by Logicalmom on 28 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

28 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Confusing, scary, annoying

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2013, 5:57 pm

My psychologist told me an NT is anyone who does not have a neurological disorder (i.e. it's physiological). They can still have some other mental, behavioral or personality disorder as long as there is no neurological reason behind it (i.e. it's conditioning or chemical).

Basically, an NT has the right hardware regardless of whether the software functions properly. Non-NTs (ASD, epilepsy, etc) don't have the same standard hardware.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 5:58 pm

Except for the ass-bleep part -what tyron said in the second post of the thread.

If you dont have a neurological disorder, are not on the autism spectrum, and are not adhd, nor have tourettes sydrome, and so forth- then you're a 'neurotypical".

Ofcoure it is a little like the term 'normal'. What is 'normal'? Is ANYONE really normal- and all that. You could off the deep end into a heavy philosophical discussion about it.

But in practical terms - if you havent been diagnosed with a neurological disorder-then - you're neurotypical.

Not much too it really.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm

PlicketyCat wrote:
My psychologist told me an NT is anyone who does not have a neurological disorder (i.e. it's physiological). They can still have some other mental, behavioral or personality disorder as long as there is no neurological reason behind it (i.e. it's conditioning or chemical).

Basically, an NT has the right hardware regardless of whether the software functions properly. Non-NTs (ASD, epilepsy, etc) don't have the same standard hardware.

+1

That's why autistics think so fundamentally different from NT's - it's not just the software, but actually the hardware that's inherently different.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 6:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But in practical terms - if you havent been diagnosed with a neurological disorder-then - you're neurotypical.

Not much too it really.

But as I was trying to explain earlier, if you take 'neurological disorder' in its broadest definition, then this includes anyone with Parkinson's, MS, and epilepsy among other things. Yet, here on Wrongplanet, simply having a disorder of the nervous system tends to not be sufficient to be exempt from the NT label. As you can see in this thread alone, after 2 pages the definition of 'neurotypical' varies widely from poster to poster. If everyone has their own notion of what neurotypical is supposed to mean, then how can it be a meaningful term at all? If person A's definition doesn't correspond with person B's definition, then the 2 of them might as well be speaking 2 different languages. It's the Tower of Babel up in here.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Not much too it really.

But as I was trying to explain earlier, if you take 'neurological disorder' in its broadest definition, then this includes anyone with Parkinson's, MS, and epilepsy among other things. Yet, here on Wrongplanet, simply having a disorder of the nervous system tends to not be sufficient to be exempt from the NT label. As you can see in this thread alone, after 2 pages the definition of 'neurotypical' varies widely from poster to poster. If everyone has their own notion of what neurotypical is supposed to mean, then how can it be a meaningful term at all? If person A's definition doesn't correspond with person B's definition, then the 2 of them might as well be speaking 2 different languages. It's the Tower of Babel up in here.

Great question for the Philosophy forum! I suggest you take the question there and duke it out :wink: As a budding 'Philosopher of Language', I wish you "good luck"! :D P.S. - don't stress about it too much - "it's the Tower of Babel" out there, generally ... welcome to language!