franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 9:55 am

what makes someone an NT and who has the right to label them as such

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

28 Feb 2013, 9:56 am

franknfurter wrote:

Definition A:
Does not have autism or another neurological disorder, which sometimes includes ADHD

Definition B:
An as*hole

Naming rights:

Me

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

Tyri0n wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

Definition A:
Does not have autism or another neurological disorder, which sometimes includes ADHD

Definition B:
An as*hole

Naming rights:

Me[/quote

who do you class in definition B exactly

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

a lot of people on here are quite insulting about people that fall under the NT classification

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:20 am

You know, the funny thing is... nothing 'makes' someone neurotypical. There are no well-defined 'neurotypical' traits.
It's kind of what you get when you take everybody in the world, lift everyone with autism from the group, then proceed to remove everyone with other mental disorders if you're using the 'broad' definition of NT, and then who is left, you call neurotypical. It's very much an 'everybody else' category.

If you define a mental disorder (not necessarily a neurological disorder; there is an overlap, but the term gets misused surprisingly often on this forum) as a condition where a certain function is either exaggerated or dampened or absent, then a neurotypical person would be someone who has most -if not all- of those functions set to 'default'.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:24 am

Quote:

NTs

I want to be one, and act like one, so I have a bipolar/love-hate relationship with the concept of NT.

"Don't take anything he says seriously" (the way my sister used to introduce me to her friends).

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:29 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
You know, the funny thing is... nothing 'makes' someone neurotypical. There are no well-defined 'neurotypical' traits.
It's kind of what you get when you take everybody in the world, lift everyone with autism from the group, then proceed to remove everyone with other mental disorders if you're using the 'broad' definition of NT, and then who is left, you call neurotypical. It's very much an 'everybody else' category.

If you define a mental disorder (not necessarily a neurological disorder; there is an overlap, but the term gets misused surprisingly often on this forum) as a condition where a certain function is either exaggerated or dampened or absent, then a neurotypical person would be someone who has most -if not all- of those functions set to 'default'.

ok that kind of makes sense, its hard to know at which point you would labal someone as being NT, i thought my self that it was just someone with out an autistic spectrum disorder, but if its someone with the absent of any neurologicak abnormalities then you could argue there is no such thing as an NT. i do find some people are insulting and generalising NTs, which is unfair.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:31 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Quote:

NTs

I want to be one, and act like one, so I have a bipolar/love-hate relationship with the concept of NT.

"Don't take anything he says seriously" (the way my sister used to introduce me to her friends).

a bit of a generalisation dont you think, like you would say with aspies if you have met on you have just me one, surely the same applies to NTs.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:35 am

franknfurter wrote:

Neurotypical, by it's definition means the majority having that neurological wiring considered normal.

So anyone not having the same wiring as a person of that majority is not an NT.

It's not about rights, it's about majority and minority needing a way to explain the difference.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:37 am

franknfurter wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Quote:

NTs

a bit of a generalisation dont you think, like you would say with aspies if you have met on you have just me one, surely the same applies to NTs.

Don't worry, you're not NT and, therefore, not an as*hole.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be taking everything I wrote so seriously and literally. :wink:

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 10:38 am

Don't worry, franknfurter, he's just playing with you. :P

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:04 am

I don't define NTs as a***holes. I define a***holes as a***holes, which could be from any kind of neurology.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:06 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't define NTs as a***holes. I define a***holes as a***holes, which could be from any kind of neurology.

i agree with that. :D

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

I've said for ages on here, specifically in the love and dating forum, that it's not an AS-NT world. Either you fight to be treated equally, or you try and ask for acceptance of some difference you have. Asking for acceptance is like asking for forgiveness when you hurt someone's feelings... you probably won't get it, and if you're lucky, you'lll have to earn it.

awesomeautist
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2013, 12:36 pm

franknfurter wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

Definition A:

Definition B:
An as*hole

Naming rights:

Me[/quote

Thats just wrong dude. If we want respect from NTs then we need to treat them with respect.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

I always thought NT's were people who are not on the autistic spectrum. But if NT's includes people who have no kind of mental illness then there would be no such thing as NT because everyone has some sort of anxiety or irrational fear etc.