Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WrongMultiverse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Mar 2013, 2:22 am

Hello,

What do you think about this website?

http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2010/11 ... s.html?m=1

I've read the DSM IV, lots of scientific articles, and also I've been reading this forum since a year ago. I don't understand what I'm supposed to think about that website. The only thing that's clear to me is: I'm confused. I guess I don't like that website, I find its articles kind of "simpllistic", like "how to" manuals.

What do you think? Is there a link between Autism, Asperger Syndrome and violence in children?

Best regards,
WM

AQT: 32/50 ("clinically significant levels of autistic traits",
Baron-Cohen et al)
AQ: aspie 115/200, NT 89/200 (Aspie and NT traits)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 2:47 am

That article seems to be kind of exaggerating, I am not so sure children with AS are any more aggressive than other kids. It would be better titled 'a general guide to reduce the risk of violent behavior in children.' as none of it seems particularly relevent to AS aside from the explosive temper tantrum which by that I assume they mean meltdown.

Also at one point it says 'make sure to maintain eye contact with your child.' well when I am overwhelmed and maybe more aggresive than usual due to that the last thing I would want is someone trying to get and keep eye contact with me...so that makes me question how much the author really knows about AS.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 3:20 am

Growing up, I had endless meltdowns because I was unable to understand and control my emotions, sensory input, and the world around. Often this led to violence, but only toward myself. It was VERY rare I ever did something to someone else, and when I did he asked for it (literally....my brother when I was young. I don't think he thought I'd do it....he was wrong apparently....never tell an uncontrollable child holding a hockey stick to hit you because it might just happen....) Other than that, I've never directed my anger, or uncontrollable behaviour PHYSICALLY at anyone else but myself. And I was VERY violent with myself at times...

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 3:21 am

There are violent children and some of them are autistic.

Living with and caring for a violent child is a great challenge; these parents need insightful help. The website addresses this issue specifically. If you were blessed with a violent child wouldn't you want some "how to" advise?

I never raised a violent child, so I don't know whether the advise in that website is accurate or helpful. But I do work with the random public and see violent kids from time to time. It's frightful to see, as in, I would not have wanted my kids near such violent outbursts when they were small, young and vulnerable. Violent people, even young violent people, hurt and injure the folks around them. Who wants to be subjected to that?

The fact that the website specifically addresses caretakers of violent kids that are autistic, is no surprise to me. Don't you think that a violent child who's autistic would need approaches tailored to autism as well as violence?

Sometimes I get the drift here on WP that there needs to be a blackout of any reference that some autistic people are violent. I prefer dialog and "how to" advise to the blackout, because it's a monumental problem for the parents of these kids.

When I was in school there were no overtly violent kids present of any sort of neurology. They were all in special schools or institutions. (Some in schools for the mentally impaired and some in schools for the deranged.) I am not saying that's the right approach. But now that violent children are mainstreamed in public schools; they are being cared for by teachers that have no particular training in how to manage the violent outbursts and the parents are at a loss too.

I think it's a good idea to, at least, start dialoging about it. And it is being dialoged in the Parents Forum here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 3:28 am

MountainLaurel wrote:
The fact that the website specifically addresses caretakers of violent kids that are autistic, is no surprise to me. Don't you think that a violent child who's autistic would need approaches tailored to autism as well as violence?

The website claims to have an approach tailored towards autism, but it appears to be missing....I didn't see anything there that seemed autism specific.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 4:56 am

Yes, there is a link between violence and autistic children: There are lots of violence that affect autistic children.

Its called bullying.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 8:36 am

Ichinin wrote:
Yes, there is a link between violence and autistic children: There are lots of violence that affect autistic children.

Its called bullying.

^ This, pretty much.

Then I have done my job

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 11:48 am

MountainLaurel wrote:
There are violent children and some of them are autistic.

Living with and caring for a violent child is a great challenge; these parents need insightful help. The website addresses this issue specifically. If you were blessed with a violent child wouldn't you want some "how to" advise?

I never raised a violent child, so I don't know whether the advise in that website is accurate or helpful. But I do work with the random public and see violent kids from time to time. It's frightful to see, as in, I would not have wanted my kids near such violent outbursts when they were small, young and vulnerable. Violent people, even young violent people, hurt and injure the folks around them. Who wants to be subjected to that?

Sometimes I get the drift here on WP that there needs to be a blackout of any reference that some autistic people are violent. I prefer dialog and "how to" advise to the blackout, because it's a monumental problem for the parents of these kids.

When I was in school there were no overtly violent kids present of any sort of neurology. They were all in special schools or institutions. (Some in schools for the mentally impaired and some in schools for the deranged.) I am not saying that's the right approach. But now that violent children are mainstreamed in public schools; they are being cared for by teachers that have no particular training in how to manage the violent outbursts and the parents are at a loss too.

I think it's a good idea to, at least, start dialoging about it. And it is being dialoged in the Parents Forum here.

I agree with you in theory, but I still think it's a bad article.

This article openly states (not "seems to state" or "implies") that violence is a common trait of Asperger's-- blatantly false. Low frustration tolerance is a common trait; withdrawal is a much more common result than violence.

Most of the suggestions it makes are, as usual, aimed at forcing the autistic child into line with NT expectations and behavior patterns. Doing things like forcing eye contact or physically blocking the child's escape from the environment are NOT going to reduce violence. They are going to increase frustration and increase the perception of threat-- in essence, increase the child's perception that it's "me against the (now even more) hostile world"-- and thus increase the incidence of violent behavior.

It ends in the same recommendation-- sedate into conformity. No, I'm sorry, I'm disgusted. Leaves me with, once again, the perception that it is, indeed, each autistic alone against a world that does not understand and does not care to learn. No hope, whatsoever.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 12:14 pm

[quote="BuyerBeware"][quote="MountainLaurel"]There are violent children and some of them are autistic.

I think it's a good idea to, at least, start dialoging about it. And it is being dialoged in the Parents Forum here.[/quote]

I agree with you in theory, but I still think it's a bad article.

This article openly states (not "seems to state" or "implies") that violence is a common trait of Asperger's-- blatantly false. Low frustration tolerance is a common trait; withdrawal is a much more common result than violence.

Most of the suggestions it makes are, as usual, aimed at forcing the autistic child into line with NT expectations and behavior patterns. Doing things like forcing eye contact or physically blocking the child's escape from the environment are NOT going to reduce violence. They are going to increase frustration and increase the perception of threat-- in essence, increase the child's perception that it's "me against the (now even more) hostile world"-- and thus increase the incidence of violent behavior.

It ends in the same recommendation-- sedate into conformity. No, I'm sorry, I'm disgusted. Leaves me with, once again, the perception that it is, indeed, each autistic alone against a world that does not understand and does not care to learn. No hope, whatsoever.[/quote]
I agree 100%. You literally just described my childhood.

A typical example would be when my father would come into my room and sit on my bed and talk to me. Often, I was already in trouble and was hanging my head, not only out of the desire not to make eye contact, but in shame. I knew I had "been bad". He would say, "Look at me" over and over, interrupting his lecture, every time I would naturally look down. He would eventually start using his hands to bring my face up and as I kept resisting, he would get upset and do it more forcefully. My frustration w/ that often led to argument and eventually, meltdown.

Those meltdowns were totally caused by him. Of course, I got punished for them.

Being driven to a meltdown (or having an existing one escalated), then being blamed and punished for it, tends to make one hate people.

Questioning
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

I am just learning more fully about autism in general and I find it hard to believe that a high percentage of autistic people would actually be violent.

I could see maybe a very few being very frustrated and maybe getting out of hand with their emotions, or maybe one person being very bitter about life or people or a person traumatized to the point of being violent, but I really have to say that I don't think that violence is inherent in these types.

I have met two people with Asperger's offline and one person with Asperger's online. All three people were stoic, logical and friendly......

Rediculous. People with autism are very cool, IMO. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 6:31 pm

AScomposer13413 wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Its called bullying.

^ This, pretty much.

That's the same thing that came to my mind.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Quote:
A typical example would be when my father would come into my room and sit on my bed and talk to me. Often, I was already in trouble and was hanging my head, not only out of the desire not to make eye contact, but in shame. I knew I had "been bad". He would say, "Look at me" over and over, interrupting his lecture, every time I would naturally look down. He would eventually start using his hands to bring my face up and as I kept resisting, he would get upset and do it more forcefully. My frustration w/ that often led to argument and eventually, meltdown.

Those meltdowns were totally caused by him. Of course, I got punished for them.

Being driven to a meltdown (or having an existing one escalated), then being blamed and punished for it, tends to make one hate people.

This is how things tend to go with my dad and others, I know its not my fault, all I can do is try to avoid these people and situations when I can see it being a problem. If anything my beheivior is avoident not violent even if agression becomes part of the situation, (notice I switched words). All my life for as long as I can remember I have tryed to avoid bad or pontentally bad situations becouse I greatly dislike agression and violence, I like to beleave this is a natural reaction within the ASD community, not my fault if others don't see my actions in that light. Some people just go looking for trouble.

WrongMultiverse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2013, 3:35 am

Thank you for your opinion.
I don't understand why a "Counseling Psychologist, Home-Based Family Therapist and Online Parent Coach" would publish that kind of articles. I can't trust him.
And there's something more, it says "Website Ranked #1 for Autism Spectrum Disorders"... Very doubtful, if you ask me.

[quote="Sweetleaf"]That article seems to be kind of exaggerating, I am not so sure children with AS are any more aggressive than other kids. It would be better titled 'a general guide to reduce the risk of violent behavior in children.' as none of it seems particularly relevent to AS aside from the explosive temper tantrum which by that I assume they mean meltdown.

Also at one point it says 'make sure to maintain eye contact with your child.' well when I am overwhelmed and maybe more aggresive than usual due to that the last thing I would want is someone trying to get and keep eye contact with me...so that makes me question how much the author really knows about AS.[/quote]

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 9:40 am

WrongMultiverse wrote:
Also at one point it says 'make sure to maintain eye contact with your child.' well when I am overwhelmed and maybe more aggresive than usual due to that the last thing I would want is someone trying to get and keep eye contact with me...so that makes me question how much the author really knows about AS.

The writer apparently knows enough to make enough money to keep the website on the web....

This is a site that is marketing for their services (I'm not sure exactly what they are), or building a mailing list to sell to someone else.

They arn't going to sell to their target market by treating AS as a difference in processing and communicating styles, are they?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 6:15 pm

Yes some people on the spectrum are violent. I was when I was little but it wasn't too bad. I never grabbed knives or anything or stabbed people or shot up a place. My violence was throwing things, hitting, kicking, spitting, scratching, pinching, biting. I also did it because I was being picked on and I have used words to tell them to leave me alone and quit it. They didn't listen so I got provoked and attacked them. I also did it out of frustration because I couldn't talk. In my teens it was due to anxiety and anger.

I bet there is a link between hearing loss and violence and anxiety and violence.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

In my younger grades, my parents had to check me out of school for my frequent tantrums. If anything didn't go right or the schedule was messed up, I would get angry. I am very peaceful now, though. The most voilent thing about me now is the violent videogames I play. And even then, I'm the violent good guy.

"Therefore, let every one that is out of Christ, now awake and fly from the wrath to come." Jonathan Edwards