Is it possible to have aspergers and NOT be monotone:?

Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 10:44 am

I have never spoken in a monotone voice. My voice has the full range of emotions. I do, however, get told the I speak either too softly, too quickly, or muffled and unclearly or in some combination of the three..

Wreck It Ralph

catboy777
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2013, 6:31 pm

I don't speak monotone but I am told that I do speak to quietly. My mom when we are traveling in the car together says I often mumble to much.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 3:11 am

I think someone who usually speaks in monotone can learn to convey emotion with enough practice.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2014, 3:19 am

boynexdoor77 wrote:
I dont speak in monotone... A lot of people say since my voice isnt monotone I'm probably not really aspergers. Is there anyone else with this condition who does not speak in monotone?

I've been thinking of starting a thread on this very topic!

I don't speak in a monotone either. In fact of all the Aspie traits this is the one that I have the complete diametric opposite of - I think my voice varies too much. I'll catch myself talking higher pitched than I would like, usually when I'm getting stressed or overwhelmed in some way, or someone's trying to argue with me.

I'll never forget the time I heard my voice on tape - I couldn't believe I sounded like that. Nasal. Just really nasal. I hate my voice. I've been really trying lately to concentrate on speaking in a "lower register" (a la Sheldon trying to teach Penny to speak like that, if you watch TBBT you might have seen that episode!)

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 3:46 am

I do not speak in monotone. I have asked people like my husband mother and some people I met and they said my voice changes. I do believe mine may be monotone in certain situations but once I get comfortable, it changes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:04 am

I am not monotone and never have been. I have met a couple of Aspies and watched many youtube videos by Aspies and none of them were monotone.

Wreck It Ralph

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 2:19 pm

I'm an example of that.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Oct 2014, 7:53 pm

I don't speak in monotone, and I am diagnosed with Asperger's.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm

Sometimes people have commented that I sound monotone. A girl at school senior year said I sounded like Dexter from the show by the same name, just in the way that I talk. Now that I've watched it, he does sound kind of monotone when you hear his inner dialogue, I think that is what she was referring to. I asked my mom today if I do (or did) sound monotone and she said "yes lol", but she said now it's usually if I'm tired or disinterested. When I was a kid she describes me as emotionless, I was pretty monotone most of the time and the only emotion I seemed to have was anger (I had quite a few meltdowns).

But I'm sure it isn't a requirement. Sometimes there are different speech irregularities, like stuttering, pauses, sing-song voice etc. I've noticed that I'm either pretty monotone and unexpressive, or overly expressive and dramatic. There isn't usually an in between for me.

- Sherlock Holmes

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 11:32 pm

i was officially assessed and diagnosed and my voice isn't monotoned.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com