Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

gav126
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm

About a year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with Aspergers. I was given the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, and scored the following:

Verbal Comprehension: 132
Perceptual Reasoning: 123
Working Memory: 97
Processessing Speed: 97

These scores (in my opinion) do not reflect a need to be placed in LD classes

Recently, I had begun to refuse to complete my homework do to the fact that I already understood the subject matter. I see it as pointless to repeat the same unchallenging assignment over, and over to the point of complete restlessness. Due to my refusal to complete homework assignments, my school unabridgedly misunderstood the situation, and sent my parents a letter stating that "It would be in my best interest to be admitted into Special Education" and citing Asperger's as a Learning Disability. This statement made me laugh, because if anything learning comes easy (I taught myself japanese when I was twelve).

Any advice on what I should do?

Last edited by gav126 on 06 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 1:59 pm

My advice is to do the homework and consider it what you have to do to continue in school. The higher your education goes, the more stuff that you are interested in and want to do and the less of the other. In college, I still had to take classes that I didn't want to take and didn't care about and didn't add anything to my intellectual development, but they were required for graduation.

gav126

06 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm

I suppose that would work, but I am too preoccupied with composing music, and writing stories to put a substantial amount of effort into my schoolwork. If given the choice to drop out, I would, because I am certain that the skills I possess are good enough to earn myself a sizeable income without the need of a highschool diploma or college degrees.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:17 pm

I actually agree with btbnnry, perhaps something else can be done too like another education you need like being challenged. You need to be given harder school work. Talk to your parents about it and see what they say and maybe they will talk to the school about it and tell them what really is going on and maybe they can start challenging you. My brother did math above the grade level. Some kids in my school went to another school because they were in the gifted class for very smart kids. Unfortunately some slip through the cracks because they are too smart for their grade but not smart enough to be in the gifted intelligent class so their work is boring for them and they usually have problems. Unless their school gives them accommodations by giving them harder school work. Accommodations were made for my brother who was very smart so he was allowed to take courses that were for higher grades in high school and he took driver's ed late because he was busy with other classes even though it was a requirement for freshmen to take but he got to not take it in his freshmen year.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

Even if it seems like a pointless waste of time, sometimes biting the bullet and doing the homework is worthwhile for the long run--you really should get that diploma. Perhaps in your IEP, they could modify the amount of homework given to you as long as you can prove knowledge of the subject matter, but it's highly unlikely you can get out of it all together. My son is having the same issue, but is given study hall and resource time to keep him current on homework. That way teachers are happy, and he can still focus on his music outside of school.

gav126

06 Mar 2013, 2:29 pm

It seems as if the teachers at my school lack understanding. I am fed up with being talked down on by teachers all the time, it is very sickening.

Curse John Dewey for giving birth to a system that allows misinformed individuals to assume an educating position.

globalwolf2010
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

Failing to complete high school is never a good decision. Trust me on that. I know people who have gone down that road, some of them very intelligent and very talented, who ended up unable to find meaningful employment. I'm sure that your skill level is very high, but at the same time, people make hiring decisions based more off of a combination of educational and work experience than anything else (the educational attainment has to come first, so that you can get the experience in a good field). Any job that pays more than $8 an hour is probably going to want you to have a high school degree or GED, at least, and jobs in creative fields (writing, composing, etc.) usually require a college degree in a relevant field. Free-lancing, publishing your own writing and composing, doesn't guarantee a living wage.

For now, you need to bite the bullet and do the work. I'm sure it sucks, but it gives you the ability to get into a good college where you can have some intellectual fulfillment, rather than working at Hardee's flipping hamburgers, which is a lot more boring than redoing work ever can be.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 7:52 am

I assume you're from America/ The way things are done in the UK mean that if you have an IQ of 70, you're classed as having mental health problems and not a learning disability. Even though ASD isn't a mental health problem.