Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

It really depends for me. I can watch some movies(Million Dollar Baby as an example)and it just seems so overdone that I find it irritating. Over Christmas, when the commercials seem to focus on bells and choir music it definitely hits a place of nostalgia and happiness. I'll cry if it's something sad with children almost always.

palindrome
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2013, 11:59 pm

I'm also someone that tends to be more emotional about TV/movies Han real life stuff for the reasons others have stated... Though obviously bad or overly-manipulative media ruins the effect, but still.... I've been more upset by the end of some TV romances than I have by some of my real life relationships.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 12:22 am

I am more likely to have an emotional reaction to something that is fictional. It could anything. A book, a video game, a film, it all works. I am a bit more selfish in real life. I rarely cry for other people even though I cry as a result of my own psychological distress. It makes me feel like a narcissist because I can imagine what the person must be feeling but the reaction just doesn't happen.

It could be that media is designed with the intention of causing an emotional reaction so it actually has a greater effect than anything that's real.

I also notice that when I see something sad on television my reaction is normal and genuine but I have a habit of exaggerating my reaction to something funny. I would still laugh normally but instead of just laughing I laugh excessively. This happens even when there's no laugh track. It is independent of the presence of other people's laughter. It seems like I do it because I'm so afraid people will think I don't get the joke so I make sure my laugh is heard but then it is obvious that I am exaggerating so it has the opposite effect. If I just relaxed and laughed normally it would be better but I get so anxious about what other people think of me that it's hard not to laugh in an excessive overdone manner.

The funny thing is that I do it alone to and I also comment about things that are on tv even when nobody's around. I figure, if there's a 0.01% chance that somebody can actually see it then I want to have my bases covered so I act as if there is someone listening just in case. If there's nobody around there's no consequence. It's not embarrassing if theere's nobody to see it. If somebody does happen to see it I get to let the person know what I'm thinking. I still carry out my socially motivated habits even when nobody's around.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 2:01 am

I don’t think I ever had an emotional reaction like that to watching movies, except from movies featuring pets who die or get lost. Then I can both react to the pets’ situation and the mourning of the pet owner, because I know how I felt about my pets. But it’s often the feelings I have for my pets that I feel. Like when Joe says “You’re my Lassie come home!” I wanted to go hug my collie dog Viggo. It was a little about Lassie and a lot about loving my dog and being afraid of losing him. Even now that Viggo has been gone for 5 years, I still mentally hug him and feel the loss when I watch Lassie. Just thinking of it now makes my eyes tear up. It’s kinda weird because I love my family and I know the pain of losing beloved family members, yet that doesn’t make an impression when I see it in movies. But as far as ‘people reacting to people’ and people dying scenes are concerned, I’m not emotional at all. In a lot of movies and series I just get impatient and think they’re dragging out too long. Boring! Get on with it already!

I’m much easier touched by fiction I read, though. I’m far more emotional about fictive characters I like in books than I am of real people I know (not counting family), and I care a lot more about my favourite characters than I do anyone I know IRL with the exception of first degree relatives.
Yet sometimes complete strangers can touch me with their true stories because I read them at the right time where there is a window of opportunity for them to reach my emotions, or if I can for some reason relate to either the issue or the person. This is usually tied with obsessions or emotions regarding animals.

Even so, I very seldom cry over it. I get a lump in my throat and might have cried had I had to speak, but since I don’t have to, I will usually get past it without crying.

Video games can also affect me, in particular Pokémon. The ending scene before the credits in “Mystery dungeon explorers of the sky” had me crying hard. In one of the Pokemon games scenes from the game was shown while the credits ran. It showed scenery with Pokemon in their natural habitats, and Driflims flying above. That really touched me. The Pokemon cartoons and comics can touch me too

Since the issue of medication came up earlier, I wish to clarify that I am not and have never been on either anti-anxiety or anti-depression drugs.

Scenes I find funny in movies or TV shows can make me do anything from not react at all, to smile on the inside, to laugh until I start coughing. The same scene can produce the same reaction (and not less because I have seen it before). It’s independent of whether or not I watch it alone.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2013, 2:10 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
I'm pretty much the opposite. I rarely feel emotion over the things that happen in my real life, but I get sad or happy in relation to TV shows and movies. I often feel attached to TV characters in a way that I don't to people in real life, and I've often felt that one reason I'm so obsessed with TV is because it allows me to experience emotions with the show acting as a sort of guide.

I agree with what is said here... I am lacking in day to day life in the emotions department. I feel a connection to the characters in the shows and even cry... But not in real life.... that connection is only with a few exceptions and I have to actually see someone cry before I feel the emotions. If I see the tears.. I will cry. Other than that... I guess I can come off pretty cold... for social reasons I have learned to fake so many emotions to pass day to day life... but that can be so exhausting...

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2013, 10:04 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
I'm pretty much the opposite. I rarely feel emotion over the things that happen in my real life, but I get sad or happy in relation to TV shows and movies. I often feel attached to TV characters in a way that I don't to people in real life, and I've often felt that one reason I'm so obsessed with TV is because it allows me to experience emotions with the show acting as a sort of guide.

This describes me quite well.

I find that when I do get emotional while watching a show or movie that it is, for me, at the same time overwhelming and yet fleeting.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm

Quote:
I just stare at the TV and the following goes on in my head:
People showing emotion detected.
Searching for emotion in self.
Emotion files corrupted.
Functioning emotion files not found.
Emotion cannot be displayed.
Facial expressions file does not exist.
Error error error.

now that you mention it, i definitely had this a lot as a child, i was frozen by the tv, and everyday would go back to the same chair, in the same position, to be frozen by the tv. i intellectually understood that it was creepy, but i let myself be taken by this repetitive entranced-like behavior.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 8:43 am

NTs don't all feel all emotions the same way either, just like Aspies don't. Sometimes it's your personality aswell. One NT might feel emotional at sad films more than another NT might. Some NTs might not cry at all. There is no precise rule; ''There are 20 adults in a cinema. The ending is really sad. 19 people sob all at the same time. 1 person does not. This person is an Aspie.'' If there were 20 people in a cinema and the ending was sad, very few people might shed tears (women mostly), others might not even feel like crying at all and might just think ''that's really sad'' and that's it, and some people (mostly stupid teenagers) might just snigger, either making themselves look ''big'' or laughing at others who are crying.