StarForge is Minecraft in a 2013 coat.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Decemius
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2013, 7:30 am

I happened to stumble upon this game some time ago, while i am not sure what exactly is going on with the game. I've read it's already been released and quite playable, and others say that only sometime in 2013 will the game be completed. It shares many elements with Minecraft. Block Building, Survival, Monsters come after you, INFINITE world generation. But the game goes to the extremes. Enough of earth? Take one of the vehicles and fly really high, out of orbit and build a space station.

A google video search for Starforge 2013 will give you the video, i can't link it apparently.

You can download the very early alpha but it's quite bad. Lag from not being optimized, Monsters crawl as fast as a sports car, in game menu's and block interface seems to be from another planet. It's just plain hard to know what the whole menu does anyway. Long story short, in the early alpha a lot of things are wrong, but the early alpha is from 2010 i think.. imagine what the game must be like now. I don't know about you guys but i am going to keep a eye on this.

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2013, 8:16 am

You need about 10 posts to be able to post links, I think. It's to deter spammers.

Anyway, the game sounds interesting but I'm not really interested in Minecraft anymore so I doubt I'd really like it either.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

Its certainly interesting. Though from the early videos the impression I got is there is a tower defence element to the gameplay that minecraft doesn't really have. (i.e. you have these alien creatures attacking you and your creations)

The first video I remember seeing was someone building a structure so heigh that it stuck out of the upper atmosphere of the planet (kinda like a space lift concept) which was trying to show you the scale the engine could do.

Decemius
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2013, 6:20 pm

Perhaps you'll like it Urist, i like to call it Minecraft to let people know what kind of game it is. And really it is like Minecraft, just not exactly the same with food and resources. I am already pretty happy that someone decided to do something with the concept Minecraft uses.

Laz, i see you could assume that. I think it is not about towers as i think people only seem to use them to get to orbit. This is cool but i have seen videos about vehicles for the game, a helicopter that changes from rotors to thrust engines when you reach orbit. So there are easier ways to get there. Oh and for me Minecraft had a tower defence element aspect, i loved to play on Hardcore which makes things a lot harder and more exciting.

khnk222
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Mar 2013, 5:45 pm

Thanks for posting about this, it looks cool.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 2:48 pm

Since you have 10 posts now; can we get the link up? :D

Author/Writer

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

Here's the site:

http://www.starforge.com/