Evergreen State College or Hampshire College, anyone?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 5:44 am

Just curious to read any experiences of people who attended either Evergreen State college in Washington state, or Hampshire College in Massachusetts...

We are looking at both colleges as good possibilities for our quiet but somewhat social aspie son, who is interested in math/science with a leaning toward environmental studies...

myownisland
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2013, 7:31 am

I attended Evergreen many years ago so it might have changed. It is (was) very hippy like. Very pretty. Lots of forests and environmentalists. They are big on activism but probably not so much on math and sciences. It's more of an artsy college. it is differently set up than a regular school. You don't get grade but instead you write out a report on how you thought you improved and what your goals were and if you met them. If there wasn't a class that fit how you wanted to study in the end years you could simply make them up. Instead of choosing math 1 and 2 and art 1 etc you picked these groups. It's basically one class that meets for many hours but it counts as three classes and they integrate a little of everything to meet the graduation standards. The teachers and kids were all very hippy like and understanding and looked further than just what is laid out in a book. But then again I also took art classes not math. It was a lot easier than regular college which I also attended but you must be self driven to get your work done as they were very relaxed about everything. When I went there were not many parties in the dorms and people were kind. they only had rugby as a sport. When I left they were integrating basketball to try to get more diverse students attending. It's a good school if you enjoy and can work in this environment. I'm not sure how employers would view it. Your report cards are more like small books instead of grades which is kind of nice.