im tired public high school! HELP! PLEASE!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:45 pm

Public high school is a mess, i really dont want to go anymore and would rather go to a smaller school, like a grading school. so i asked my dad and he said "no! why should you get an easy route and everyone else has to work! you cant just avoid challenges emily! suck it up and actually go to school!" and i really agree about the challenge but i dont see a reason why i have to continue going to a pubic school with 1200 kids where i need extra help with everything else when i can just go to a school where i can get all the help i need and not as much stress, same work, same grades, just smaller classes and more help. what should i do

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2013, 4:11 pm

It sounds like this is far more of a matter of pride to your father than it is genuine concern. If you can do just as well, if not better, in a different school then that should be what he considers, not the 'challenge' of it. I can't imagine you could tell him that without making the situation worse, however, so I'd recommend trying to explain why you feel you want to go to a different kind of school. Try to do it on an emotional level, I think. I find that works better with most people than cold logic does, as much as I hate to use it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

Talk with your school counsellor and see what they think the best option for you is. If you'd do much better with fewer people around, it may be worth a shot & may be worth having a counsellor or doctor discuss it with your father and explain that you're not trying to take the easy way out, you're trying to put yourself in a learning environment where you can do better with fewer distractions and less anxiety.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2013, 11:13 pm

If you live in the United States, then have your Dad request a team meeting. They will honor the request especially if it is in writing. If you are over the age of 18, then you should request the meeting.

Make a list of your concerns. Explain how your issues reduce your ability to work to your maximum potential. I would give as many concrete examples as possible. If your current condition is leading to depression or anxiety, then the school needs to address this situation. You have the right to attend school without undue emotional harm. Should your concerns persist more than 30 days after the meeting, then request another meeting to talk about what is and is not going well.

If things still are not going well, then contact the department of education for your state. Ask them for assistance with informally mediating the situation. You will eventually find a solution to your problems if you request meetings until things are fixed.

The biggest risk is that some self-appointed autism expert could make recommendations based on pure fantasy. If the recommendations by the "expert" seem counter intuitive, then contact me at [email protected].

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2013, 3:30 am

Tell your dad your suffering socially and would feel comfortable in a grading school. He told you to suck up like everybody else, but he doesn't seem to understand that everybody else isn't autistic.