Medications to reduce sensitivity to light and sound?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Johnq
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Mar 2013, 12:49 pm

Anyone know of any or had any success? Right now Gabapentin (for shyness) is amazing but makes me hyper but it's worth taking daily. I actually go up and talk to strangers now. Funny thing is I was prescribed this for neurological pain in my arms but the side use basically cured my social phobia's and now I'm relaxed around strangers. Clonazepam is basically my back up now, I carry some around with me so if I have a panic attack I can eat a few and calm down enough to drive back home. Ativan worked better but I abused it so I decided to go to clonazepam since I don't crave it for some reason, it really doesn't do much but help me get the "noise" outside my head during severe mania.

Still with large groups of people sometimes I shut down mentally if there is just too much noise, people, or light around.

I just saw some medication for migraines (forgot the brand) and it said reduces sensitivity to light. I wonder if this could help with that.

Also what about that medication that golfers take to stop sweating and shaking when they are nervous. Anyone tried that?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

Seroquel. It really helps me with sensitivity to sound.

Johnq

15 Mar 2013, 1:58 pm

Yea, I take Seroquel for the bi-polar and the main benefit is sleep for me since I used to sleep only a few hours a night and stay up 2-4 full days in a row.

I do feel better about my sensitivity to lights and sounds, maybe it is the seroquel that's helping. It's just outdoors and in public places it's like my brain is trying to process every single thing and a room of people with light reflecting all over everything entering my eyes into my brain and sounds from everyone's chatter....it just makes my brain shut down like an overloaded computer.

Lol I need a brain upgrade, more RAM and a better processor :P

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm

This is something I'm wondering too. I've been told by ENT they can't do anything. :(

gratin
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

Didn't know there were any medications for sound sensitivity. Have heard of people so sensitive that they wish they were deaf. I'm just extremely sensitive to sound and very distressed by it .. sometimes angry.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

15 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

Magnesium

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

SSRIs help with sensory issues for me, and also St. John's Wort and 5HTP if cost is an issue. I've tried stuff like Tenex and it didn't work for me.